NBC Sports Edge Forums

Fernando Tatis Jr. 2020 Outlook

19 hours ago, Chest-Rockwell said:

White Sox fan here.

Give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill myself.

Yeah, I can't think of one either.

JAMES SHIELDSSSS! (Expect this post many times this year). Thank God Tim Anderson is good. Not GOAT like tatis, but it helps 

• Like 1
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a dedicated life long ChiSox diehard, I said it the very second I got wind of trade back in 2016 and I continue to be proven more and more correct ever since... This was the worst trade in the

Every time I see his stat line for the year, I look to the sky, shake my fist, and yell, "JAMES SHIELDSSSSSSS!"

19 hours ago, sleepysock said:

A lineup featuring Moncada, Anderson, Vaughn, Robert, Madrigal and Eloy for the next half decade. Abreu and Yasmani for some of that time as well. A loaded bullpen. White Sox are also a really fun team to watch. Seems like a squad filled with good dudes.

But yeah, this is going to go down as the worst trade in modern baseball history. Tatis is looking like the MVP this year and a 6-8 WAR player perennially. Big whoops, Rick Hahn! (Honestly, if he didn't nail the rebuild trades of Sale/Quintana/Eaton he'd surely have lost his job over this.)

My only hope is Tatis gets hit by a hail of meteors. Then the trade won't be as bad.

16 hours ago, posty said:

What was the game situation in those home runs?  Pretty sure not even close to last night's game...

Right, we don't know the context of all of them. I also am ignorant to the magic ratio of runs to innings left of play that allows a player to swing on 3-0. 

7 runs in the 6th, swing? What about the 7th? Clearly, the 8th is a no no. What if it was just 6 runs. What if it was 4 but the leading team had the leagues best pitching and bullpen ready to mop it up... 

What if the team was down 8 runs? I mean, the game is out of hand, right? We don't expect the leading team to swing for more runs. Why does the team in a deficit need those runs if they are only prolonging the inevitable... 

Idk, call me crazy, but don't groove a 3-0 fastball maybe? I remember when Miggy hit a pitch that was part of an intentional walk for a go ahead single. I don't remember the outcry for that. Do the unwritten rules state the batter shouldn't swing when it's clear the other team is willing to put him on base for free? And that one put the Marlins ahead. Or was that the pitchers fault for not getting it far enough off the plate. But this (the Tatis homer) wasn't the pitchers fault for grooving it? He's a professional baseball pitcher. Tatis is a professional hitter. 

I can't imagine expecting a competitor to lay down just because they are too far up or down. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, sngehl01 said:

Right, we don't know the context of all of them. I also am ignorant to the magic ratio of runs to innings left of play that allows a player to swing on 3-0. 

7 runs in the 6th, swing? What about the 7th? Clearly, the 8th is a no no. What if it was just 6 runs. What if it was 4 but the leading team had the leagues best pitching and bullpen ready to mop it up... 

What if the team was down 8 runs? I mean, the game is out of hand, right? We don't expect the leading team to swing for more runs. Why does the team in a deficit need those runs if they are only prolonging the inevitable... 

Idk, call me crazy, but don't groove a 3-0 fastball maybe? I remember when Miggy hit a pitch that was part of an intentional walk for a go ahead single. I don't remember the outcry for that. Do the unwritten rules state the batter shouldn't swing when it's clear the other team is willing to put him on base for free? And that one put the Marlins ahead. Or was that the pitchers fault for not getting it far enough off the plate. But this (the Tatis homer) wasn't the pitchers fault for grooving it? He's a professional baseball pitcher. Tatis is a professional hitter. 

I can't imagine expecting a competitor to lay down just because they are too far up or down. 

I don't have a problem with swinging 3-0, if the game situation allowed for it...  Up seven runs in the eighth inning was not one of those situations...  When Machado got a ball thrown behind him, the Padres didn't even complain about it, take the field to confront or anything like that, heck Tatis was just sitting there drinking water...  Why?  Because they knew what he did was wrong...  If there was a hint of anything that was right about it, they benches would have cleared with some jawing going on...

If I was the Rangers manager, I would have not thrown at Machado and made sure Tatis got one behind his back or high and tight his next at-bat, then carry on...

20 minutes ago, posty said:

I don't have a problem with swinging 3-0, if the game situation allowed for it...  Up seven runs in the eighth inning was not one of those situations...  When Machado got a ball thrown behind him, the Padres didn't even complain about it, take the field to confront or anything like that, heck Tatis was just sitting there drinking water...  Why?  Because they knew what he did was wrong...  If there was a hint of anything that was right about it, they benches would have cleared with some jawing going on...

If I was the Rangers manager, I would have not thrown at Machado and made sure Tatis got one behind his back or high and tight his next at-bat, then carry on...

Then when is it appropriate. Again, where is the cutoff? 3 runs ok? 4? 5? 6? What if they were down that many runs, etc. 

It's absolutely ridiculous. Make a good pitch and make him earn it if you feel so strongly about it. The pitcher grooving one is also just laying down. You're a professional, act like it. 

There are some things I absolutely don't like. This is far from one of them. 

• Like 3

In 15 years of watching baseball, I've never heard of this ridiculous "unwritten rule".  I thought hockey had a lot of unwritten rules, but wow, baseball is a whole new level.  How about the pitcher learns how to throw strikes?  Then maybe you wouldn't give up grand slams?  Just a suggestion.  Some of these baseball guys are the biggest, whiniest babies in all of sports.  My god, it's like they're being coddled like children.  Get over it!

Also, what makes this okay if a 3-0 swing up 7 isn't? (watch below)  It's the Texas Rangers that did it also!!!  😂

Edited by Slimzy17
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Slimzy17 said:

In 15 years of watching baseball, I've never heard of this ridiculous "unwritten rule".  I thought hockey had a lot of unwritten rules, but wow, baseball is a whole new level.  How about the pitcher learns how to throw strikes?  Then maybe you wouldn't give up grand slams?  Just a suggestion.  Some of these baseball guys are the biggest, whiniest babies in all of sports.  My god, it's like they're being coddled like children.  Get over it!

Also, what makes this okay if a 3-0 swing up 7 isn't? (watch below)  It's the Texas Rangers that did it also!!!  😂

There wasn't one 3-0 swing in the highlights...  Nothing absolutely wrong with this...

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, posty said:

There wasn't one 3-0 swing in the highlights...  Nothing absolutely wrong with this...

Hahahaha, point proven.  You think 30-3 is okay but Tatis' 3-0 swing is not?  You must be trolling.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

My only hope is Tatis gets hit by a hail of meteors. Then the trade won't be as bad.

It's funny to remember that most fantasy experts were down on Tatis as a second round pick this year. There were legitimate arguments as to his value. You can imagine how much more difficult it was to evaluate him as a prospect. 

15 minutes ago, Slimzy17 said:

Hahahaha, point proven.  You think 30-3 is okay but Tatis' 3-0 swing is not?  You must be trolling.

Not at all...  They didn't take extra bases when they could, there was one 3-0 count that the batter just stood there with the bat on their shoulders...

The difference is that Tatis was swinging on a 3-0 count in a blowout late in the game...  That is one of the unwritten rules that anyone that was brought up playing baseball and to respect the game was taught...

Yes his dad hit two grand slams in the same inning, but that was only the third inning, big difference...

38 minutes ago, posty said:

Not at all...  They didn't take extra bases when they could, there was one 3-0 count that the batter just stood there with the bat on their shoulders...

The difference is that Tatis was swinging on a 3-0 count in a blowout late in the game...  That is one of the unwritten rules that anyone that was brought up playing baseball and to respect the game was taught...

Yes his dad hit two grand slams in the same inning, but that was only the third inning, big difference...

30-3 man, 30-3.

13 minutes ago, Slimzy17 said:

30-3 man, 30-3.

Yep, 30-3...  Still have no issue with this...

They didn't swing 3-0, they didn't take extra bases, they didn't even swing 3-1...  Completely different than Tatis swinging 3-0 in a blowout late in the game...  If he would have let the strike go and done it 3-1, I wouldn't have any issue with it then...

Tatis still should get one thrown at him by the Rangers some time this year...

Edited by posty
5 hours ago, posty said:

Yep, 30-3...  Still have no issue with this...

They didn't swing 3-0, they didn't take extra bases, they didn't even swing 3-1...  Completely different than Tatis swinging 3-0 in a blowout late in the game...  If he would have let the strike go and done it 3-1, I wouldn't have any issue with it then...

Tatis still should get one thrown at him by the Rangers some time this year...

Question, if he swings 3-0 and pops it up, do they still throw at him? 

• Like 3

It's very 2020 that a single swing of the bat has caused such controversy that we're still talking about it. He's the best thing about baseball right now, but we're talking about an unwritten rule. It seems pretty tone deaf on behalf of baseball purists to make a big deal about it. We are all trying our best to squeeze every last drop of enjoyment out of something we love. I guess some people love to complain.

This is a 60 game season, every pitch counts more. Every at bat is our chance to be entertained.  Compete or GTFO.

• Like 4

This whole controversy is stupid. So what if SD was up seven in the ninth. On June 29, 1952, the Cubs were in Cincy, down six with two outs in the ninth and no one on. They proceeded to score seven runs and win the game. So no, being up in the ninth by seven is not ‘out of reach’ and it’s stupid to act like it is.  If Texas doesn’t like it, maybe don’t load the bases for the hottest player in the league. 🤔

Edited by Bandito
  • Like 1

Anyone think he has a chance to be the near-consensus 1-1 in redrafts next year? Let's say Trout has a Trout year, including, say, 6 or 7 SB. If Tatis hits at least .285 and knocks on the door of league leading RBI, R, and HR totals while stealing a dozen+ bases, does he leapfrog Trout (and Acuna, assuming he bounces back to have a good year)? I think I might "reach" for him at that point. Obviously the only things going against him are the way he plays (injury concerns) and Trout being such easy money in the bank (has he ever been outside the top 10-15 5x5 fantasy wise in his entire career??). But man, that sky high ceiling on Tatis. 40-40. 135 runs. 100+ RBI. It's just video game stuff that, if it happens, won't even be surprising.

6 hours ago, sleepysock said:

Anyone think he has a chance to be the near-consensus 1-1 in redrafts next year? Let's say Trout has a Trout year, including, say, 6 or 7 SB. If Tatis hits at least .285 and knocks on the door of league leading RBI, R, and HR totals while stealing a dozen+ bases, does he leapfrog Trout (and Acuna, assuming he bounces back to have a good year)? I think I might "reach" for him at that point. Obviously the only things going against him are the way he plays (injury concerns) and Trout being such easy money in the bank (has he ever been outside the top 10-15 5x5 fantasy wise in his entire career??). But man, that sky high ceiling on Tatis. 40-40. 135 runs. 100+ RBI. It's just video game stuff that, if it happens, won't even be surprising.

sure.... why not? go check those "clever" picks over trout last few years. and anyone talking about 2021 rankings at this point in time is wasting time and it makes zero sense.

[...]

Edited by tonycpsu
6 hours ago, sleepysock said:

I don’t think near-consensus is possible, there is just too much evidence of young hitters experiencing growing pains after pitchers study them a bit that I don’t see how the more proven guys don’t get the edge. Doesn’t mean some people won’t say screw it I want to get my guy and take him # 1.

I will say this, if you are currently competing to win it all this year, it would be very hard to justify trading Tatis for anyone, even Acuna, whether you are in a keeper league or not

9 hours ago, Bandito said:

This whole controversy is stupid. So what if SD was up seven in the ninth. On June 29, 1952, the Cubs were in Cincy, down six with two outs in the ninth and no one on. They proceeded to score seven runs and win the game. So no, being up in the ninth by seven is not ‘out of reach’ and it’s stupid to act like it is.  If Texas doesn’t like it, maybe don’t load the bases for the hottest player in the league. 🤔

Yes it can be done, but what percentage of teams that were down by seven or more in the eighth inning or later came back to win in history?  If it was a decent percentage then there is no issue...  Pretty sure it is under 1%...

3 minutes ago, posty said:

Yes it can be done, but what percentage of teams that were down by seven or more in the eighth inning or later came back to win in history?  If it was a decent percentage then there is no issue...  Pretty sure it is under 1%...

whatever the percentage is, I imagine being up 11 in the eighth inning or later provided a higher likelihood of winning than Only being up 7. 

What a silly conversation. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, robbybobby005 said:

whatever the percentage is, I imagine being up 11 in the eighth inning or later provided a higher likelihood of winning than Only being up 7. 

What a silly conversation. 

Agreed...  All Tatis had to do was follow the unwritten rule and let the 3-0 go and there wouldn't be this conversation...