NBC Sports Edge Forums

Fernando Tatis Jr. 2020 Outlook

7 minutes ago, robbybobby005 said:

Chris Woodward, is that you?

Like I said earlier in this thread...  I wouldn't have thrown at Machado, I would have thrown at Tatis in his next at-bat...  The reaction from the Padres when Machado got one behind him shows that they knew it was wrong that he swung 3-0 in a blowout late in the game...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a dedicated life long ChiSox diehard, I said it the very second I got wind of trade back in 2016 and I continue to be proven more and more correct ever since... This was the worst trade in the

Every time I see his stat line for the year, I look to the sky, shake my fist, and yell, "JAMES SHIELDSSSSSSS!"

18 hours ago, Slimzy17 said:

In 15 years of watching baseball, I've never heard of this ridiculous "unwritten rule".  I thought hockey had a lot of unwritten rules, but wow, baseball is a whole new level.  How about the pitcher learns how to throw strikes?  Then maybe you wouldn't give up grand slams?  Just a suggestion.  Some of these baseball guys are the biggest, whiniest babies in all of sports.  My god, it's like they're being coddled like children.  Get over it!

Also, what makes this okay if a 3-0 swing up 7 isn't? (watch below)  It's the Texas Rangers that did it also!!!  😂

I mean, I get it, but you've never heard that?

I'm not really interested in arguing specific circumstances, but at some point, it's good sportsmanship to call off the dogs.

Edited by 89Topps
51 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

I'm not really interested in arguing specific circumstances, but at some point, it's good sportsmanship to call off the dogs.

I just watched the A's score 9 runs in one inning last week.  They also had a 5-run inning in the 9th last week to come back and tie the game to force extra innings (and they won).  No lead is safe.  If the MLB really cares that much about hurt feelings they should implement a mercy rule like they do in Little League.  Problem solved.

• Like 5

Yeah this unwritten rule is ridiculous if it even if it is an unwritten rule.

In other sports that have a game clock a comeback eventually becomes a statistical impossibility, at which point it is bad sportsmanship to run up the score.  Not so in baseball.

It’s not like anyone can just hit a home run on demand either the same way someone can do a showboat dunk in the midst of a blow out basketball game.  Home runs are hard to hit! 

Edited by Weekday Warrior
  • Like 2

It's not disrespect. If that's what the word means to you, I think you need to re-evaluate why you watch the sport.

By the way Tatis has only played a little over 100 games, and has already been in one where a 7 run lead was blown late, and the team that came back ended up winning by 4 freakin' runs.

If you want to know what disrespectful, apology-provoking behavior is, I'll tell you. Disrespect is when someone intentionally throws a baseball 90 mph at you for no good reason, putting your body and career at harm. That's disrespect. Disrespect is not continuing to compete when the game is still in reach for the other team. As someone alluded to above, this isn't akin to a basketball player doing a 360 when his team's up 20 with 30 seconds left. It's more like one making an easy uncontested fast-break layup up 10 with 2 or 3 mins left. I can't believe people don't see the difference, but unfortunately baseball has always been a little slow to move forward and way too married to some of its most stupid conventions.

• Like 4

So we can agree to disagree...  I respect the game and the "unwritten rules" and you respect the game and not the "unwritten rules"...

But as I have said many times before, the Padres know that Tatis was wrong at swinging at the 3-0 pitch up seven and late in the game because if they thought at all it was okay, they would have had issues when Machado was thrown at on the next pitch...  What they did the Padres do?  Absolutely nothing...  Not even yelling at anyone and Tatis was just sitting there drinking water on the bench...  Even the umpires talked about it and did nothing, not even a warning, so they had no issue of Machado getting thrown at (though they should have waited for Tatis and his next at-bat)...

Did the Padres then throw at a Ranger because Machado was thrown at?  Nope...  Why?  See above...  Yes they were up 14-3, but that has never stopped teams before in that situation...  All he had to do was just let the 3-0 go by and swing at the 3-1 and there would be no discussion on the matter...

37 minutes ago, posty said:

So we can agree to disagree...  I respect the game and the "unwritten rules" and you respect the game and not the "unwritten rules"...

But as I have said many times before, the Padres know that Tatis was wrong at swinging at the 3-0 pitch up seven and late in the game because if they thought at all it was okay, they would have had issues when Machado was thrown at on the next pitch...  What they did the Padres do?  Absolutely nothing...  Not even yelling at anyone and Tatis was just sitting there drinking water on the bench...  Even the umpires talked about it and did nothing, not even a warning, so they had no issue of Machado getting thrown at (though they should have waited for Tatis and his next at-bat)...

Did the Padres then throw at a Ranger because Machado was thrown at?  Nope...  Why?  See above...  Yes they were up 14-3, but that has never stopped teams before in that situation...  All he had to do was just let the 3-0 go by and swing at the 3-1 and there would be no discussion on the matter...

Throwing at players because they/their team showed you up is one of the worst, most ridiculous unwritten rules and needs to go.

All the Rangers had to do was walk Tatis and no discussion on the matter...

All the Rangers had to do was throw a better pitch and no discussion on the matter...

All the Rangers had to do was not be losing the game and no discussion on the matter...

All the Rangers had to do was not allow stupid unwritten rules get under their skin and no discussion on the matter...

You can even see Woodward say (even with a mask on) alright i'm throwing at your guy in the replay.

Edited by desert86
  • Like 2

Woodward is a clown imo. He alone let this situation get out of hand. Instead of saying, "he had a good game." and moving on he goes on to complain about unwritten rules and how Tatis disrespected them. 

• Like 1

LOL @ all the people that think he should have taken a pitch and been at 3-1 which means then he definitely had to swing.  If it is a strike, then he's going to be hacking at 3-1 so what the heck is the difference?  This dudes financial health depends on his ability to perform and sometimes an agent saying but he bats .400 with the bases loaded and has 5 grand slams can mean a few extra bucks in his pocket.  This is the top level of the top level of baseball and for a team to be upset that the dude is doing what he is paid to do is silly.  Tatis shouldn't be penalized because the pitcher sucks and couldn't throw a strike.  They could have easily just IBB him but they clearly wanted him to be 3-1 so he didn't have as big of an advantage.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, 89Topps said:

I have not, I didn't grow up playing baseball, otherwise I probably would.  I get it, I grew up playing hockey and we have some silly unwritten rules.  Here's the thing.  You mention "calling off the dogs", why didn't the Rangers do that in the Orioles game 13 years ago?  This is why I find it so ridiculous.  Some of you are okay with running up the score all the way to 30, but a guy can't swing 3-0 up 7?  Blows my mind.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, posty said:

They were all in the wrong. Just bc a small group of people all agree on something does not mean they are right. Why do you think the majority of the baseball world has come to Tatis' defense -- even oldheads who played the game in uglier eras where careers would be ruined/ended over stupid crap like this?

Maybe the Pads didn't throw at the Rangers bc they aren't a trash team that has no idea how to play baseball in 2020. That anyone believes trying to hurt someone because another person did his job so well that it embarrassed a group of overpaid man-babies is just beyond me. This is not the baseball I grew up playing, or enjoy watching these days. It's immature garbage that needs to be tossed out of the game immediately.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Slimzy17 said:

I have not, I didn't grow up playing baseball, otherwise I probably would.  I get it, I grew up playing hockey and we have some silly unwritten rules.  Here's the thing.  You mention "calling off the dogs", why didn't the Rangers do that in the Orioles game 13 years ago?  This is why I find it so ridiculous.  Some of you are okay with running up the score all the way to 30, but a guy can't swing 3-0 up 7?  Blows my mind.

I don't know.  I'm sure they took some flak for that back then.  I don't really care to discuss anytime someone may have run up a score.

• 4 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Crusaderfan said:

Wow - this guy has dropped off a cliff. 😡 Hoping he has one more good run in him before the end of the season 

Yeah... he's been so good that he's still the #1 player in fantasy baseball, but hopefully he gets it turned around with a hit here or there.