NBC Sports Edge Forums

David Montgomery 2020 Outlook

4 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I'd expect a very big game from him this week. Files and no Cohen boosts his value tremendously. He's a borderline RB1. 

I'd temper expectations this week, Indy held both Davlin Cook and James Robinson under 64 yards, it seems like they have a fairly decent run D.  If he puts up a mediocre game I don't think that's very concerning with the matchup.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome aboard.  Since you're new here, the David Montgomery outlook thread is the Rotoworld equivalent of a senior citizen water aerobics class.  No one really gets excited.  Montgomery is mentioned

I actually think last game was positive for Montgomery.   The one thing I was looking for was whether Cohen's passing work would transfer over to Montgomery.  It did.  Montgomery had a season hig

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Magoo said:

He looks so much quicker this year and hitting the hole more decisively.  The issue isn't performance upside -- it's Nagy.

Anyone else notice Nagy seems to always somehow telegraph when he runs him?  For all his gimmicks he seems to guess wrong A LOT.

Nagy has always been an issue with RBs, but a lot of coaches play the RBBC and try to out think the opponent when sometimes they should just play the better back most of the time.  Everyone wants to be the next Bilichek...

As for Monty, I took advantage of his early injury news and snatched him up where possible and this Cohen injury will add more touches.  But this is still the Bears we are talking about. I'm optimistic that the move to Foles will be better but its not guaranteed. The injury to Cohen is more of a benefit. As for buying low, I think that ship has sailed now with the injury.

Now, if he doesn't produce this week, then the buy low window will have been extended. But if he gets 20+ touches this week I think good things happen.

19 minutes ago, humanpuck said:

I'd temper expectations this week, Indy held both Davlin Cook and James Robinson under 64 yards, it seems like they have a fairly decent run D.  If he puts up a mediocre game I don't think that's very concerning with the matchup.

Tempering expectations is a good thing here but hopefully he get get some extra passing game targets now with Cohen out. If he can get 5-6 targets at least.... he's only had 3 each game up to this point. 4 or 5 receptions for 45 yards would be really helpful...

3 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

Tempering expectations is a good thing here but hopefully he get get some extra passing game targets now with Cohen out. If he can get 5-6 targets at least.... he's only had 3 each game up to this point. 4 or 5 receptions for 45 yards would be really helpful...

Yea I think this week's game presents a unique trading window if you will.  If he pops then I'd think he becomes a hold for sure but a bad game would be for sure a great buy low opportunity

Here's an interesting either/or:  Henderson or Monty ROS?

Just now, Magoo said:

Yea I think this week's game presents a unique trading window if you will.  If he pops then I'd think he becomes a hold for sure but a bad game would be for sure a great buy low opportunity

Here's an interesting either/or:  Henderson or Monty ROS?

I don't own Henderson (I did last year) but I'm a fan. Having said that who is Monty's competition now? I'm not sure I trust LAR to be consistent week to week with the RB usage. What do they have planned with Akers? As it stands now I go Monty and its not a question.

I had to go look up who the next back-up is in CHI as I have no idea. And I don't consider Patterson a true RB other than a gadget type player every now an then. Maybe he steals 4-5 carries a game. Not an issue. 

Now if Monty can pound in the RZ/GL carries and up his TD rate....

2 minutes ago, StephenCurryIsABaller said:

Based on watching last game, Patterson was in on a lot more downs that I would like to see for his value. I think Nagy may end up slotting Patterson into the Cohen role over giving Montgomery the bellcow role.

True, Patterson may end up getting more of the passing work. But I'm still hopeful Monty can get some extra targets each game now. Maybe Foles is the guy to make it happen.  Foles doesn't have to be good, just good enough to get the ball in Monty's hands.

5 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

True, Patterson may end up getting more of the passing work. But I'm still hopeful Monty can get some extra targets each game now. Maybe Foles is the guy to make it happen.  Foles doesn't have to be good, just good enough to get the ball in Monty's hands.

I think he definitely will get an increased target share and this boosts his value, I’m just wary of Patterson’s involvement and I think it’s something to be cautious about.

I still want to see what the offense looks like before using Montgomery.  Cohen's injury plus Foles starting should be better for Montgomery but I'm not ready to say he's a set-and-forget RB2/Flex until he actually plays well for a game or a few games.

Edited by ZappB
2 minutes ago, ZappB said:

I still want to see what the offense looks like before using Montgomery.  Cohen's injury plus Foles starting should be better for Montgomery but I'm not ready to say he's a set-and-forget RB2 until he actually plays well for a game or a few games.

15 carries and 3 targets is his average so far this year at 55% snap count. That's worth a flex spot unless you have some crazy other options. I'm going to keep rolling him in my flex, especially with what should be an increased market share.

16 minutes ago, StephenCurryIsABaller said:

I think he definitely will get an increased target share and this boosts his value, I’m just wary of Patterson’s involvement and I think it’s something to be cautious about.

While Patterson will for sure get some of Cohen's passing work, he won't get as much as much as one may think because he can't pass block.

33 minutes ago, StephenCurryIsABaller said:

Based on watching last game, Patterson was in on a lot more downs that I would like to see for his value. I think Nagy may end up slotting Patterson into the Cohen role over giving Montgomery the bellcow role.

Yup or even the other guys coming in like Nall and Pierce.

It's not so much a total snaps issue but rather touches per snap. The Nagy effect.

Monty is a fine pass blocker but that probably won't lead to more touches.

I believe Patterson has been basically only used as a runner by the Bears despite the fact he's a convert WR. Maybe he gets some more, but you'd think he'd have cut into some receiving work at some point if the Bears saw him playing that role.

It actually looks like he could cut into Montgomery's rushing work.

19 minutes ago, Gamecubesupreme said:

Took a gamble and moved Singletary to get this guy.

Any chance he overcomes the Nagy factor?

He's going to get crazy work so you're only concern is probably injury or the entire Bears' offense being complete crap. 

He's the only game in town outside of Patterson; who looks like a WR trying to pretend to be a tailback every time he touches the ball. 

On 9/30/2020 at 5:06 PM, Big Nate said:

15 carries and 3 targets is his average so far this year at 55% snap count. That's worth a flex spot unless you have some crazy other options. I'm going to keep rolling him in my flex, especially with what should be an increased market share.

Thanks to losing JuJu this week, I'm forced into using Montgomery so I'll be there with you.

Nagy, have I ever told you how much I love your creative genius?  All I ask is a goal-line TD, pretty please?

3 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

I just traded for this dude. What's the sentiment?  Seems like his arrow is pointing up with Foles at QB and Cohen out for the season.  

Welcome aboard.  Since you're new here, the David Montgomery outlook thread is the Rotoworld equivalent of a senior citizen water aerobics class.  No one really gets excited.  Montgomery is mentioned now and then, usually in passing.  

This place is mostly reserved for quiet reflection about such questions as "why is David Montgomery on my fantasy team," "why will no one accept my trade offer of David Montgomery," and "why should I care about this person?"  

I say all this because the truth is there's no answer to your question.  No one here knows how to feel about Montgomery.  That's the Nagy effect.  Foles + no Cohen should, in theory, be a major boost to Montgomery.  But for all we know Patterson gets the bulk of Cohen's receiving work and Montgomery continues on his usual pedestrian track.  

While other threads get a "hype train," we have more of a "mystery box."  It could be a motorboat, but it could also be a 19th century stagecoach.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
5 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

Welcome aboard.  Since you're new here, the David Montgomery outlook thread is the Rotoworld equivalent of a senior citizen water aerobics class.  No one really gets excited.  Montgomery is mentioned now and then, usually in passing.  

This place is mostly reserved for quiet reflection about such questions as "why is David Montgomery on my fantasy team," "why will no one accept my trade offer of David Montgomery," and "why should I care about this person?"  

I say all this because the truth is there's no answer to your question.  No one here knows how to feel about Montgomery.  That's the Nagy effect.  Foles + no Cohen should, in theory, be a major boost to Montgomery.  But for all we know Patterson gets the bulk of Cohen's receiving work and Montgomery continues on his usual pedestrian track.  

While other threads get a "hype train," we have more of a "mystery box."  It could be a motorboat, but it could also be a 19th century stagecoach.  

this sums up the ethos here perfectly lol

On 9/30/2020 at 2:35 PM, LongBalls said:

I believe Patterson has been basically only used as a runner by the Bears despite the fact he's a convert WR. Maybe he gets some more, but you'd think he'd have cut into some receiving work at some point if the Bears saw him playing that role.

It actually looks like he could cut into Montgomery's rushing work.

With Cohen healthy, there wasn't a real need to use Patterson in the passing game.  Now there might be.

56 minutes ago, ccimore said:

With Cohen healthy, there wasn't a real need to use Patterson in the passing game.  Now there might be.

You could say the same thing about Montgomery; who was actually getting receiving work before the Cohen injury.