NBC Sports Edge Forums

David Montgomery 2020 Outlook

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome aboard.  Since you're new here, the David Montgomery outlook thread is the Rotoworld equivalent of a senior citizen water aerobics class.  No one really gets excited.  Montgomery is mentioned

I actually think last game was positive for Montgomery.   The one thing I was looking for was whether Cohen's passing work would transfer over to Montgomery.  It did.  Montgomery had a season hig

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, MKO3090 said:

Look. I can appreciate a working class RB as well as anyone else. It's why I have him. Is he explosive? f--- no. Is he quick? Are you kidding me. Can he break tackles? Folds like the cheap suit your mom bought you for the middle school dance. But he'll carry on, putting a good day work at the line. Sunrise to sundown, day in to day out, putting his time in on the line.

Here in Club Monty, we get what he is. A JAG who find himself in the enviable position of workhorse in the most unimpressive 4-1 offense you've ever seen. And we love him for it. 

From a straight physical talent/athleticism standpoint, he is a JAG, but contrary to public beliefs he is one of the best at breaking tackles and certainly does not fold like a cheap suit. Just look at his attempts per broken tackle from the past 2 years. First image is 2019 and 2nd is 2020.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by thefranchise3
  • Thanks 1

He’s damn good at breaking tackles, and he’ll need to utilize that skill even moreso going forward, as James Daniels could be out for the season.  James is arguably the best offensive lineman on the Bears - it’s between him and Whitehair.  The other guard that they brought in from Seattle is replacement-level.  The guy who replaced Daniels last night might prove to be atrocious - we’ll see.  The tackles are average.  Ryan Pace gave Robert Quinn a huge deal (did anyone hear his name mentioned last night?) and drafted TE Cole Kmet in the second round (no 1st round pick due to the Mack trade). OL is not much of a priority.  It’s one of the most obvious signs that a GM is in over his head.  

Bottom line - Montgomery will suck hard from time to time, and it won’t necessarily be his fault.

On 10/9/2020 at 1:25 AM, sleepysock said:

TB was giving up 2.7 YPC before tonight. Monty have you 2.9. If you thought he would give you a big game tonight, big oof. Be happy that Foles has targeted him significantly more than Trubisky in a short sample so far. A few of those into-triple-coverage throws Mitch used to make every game seem to be getting dumped down to Monty instead. Take the extra receptions. A few will break big. Bears don't face another run D this stout the rest of the year. If he gets a few more chances near the goal line, his value skyrockets.

Standard here,I'll gladly take the 11.9 he got me as my #2 rb

• Like 1
On 10/9/2020 at 8:50 AM, FitzMagic said:

From a fantasy standpoint he’s a JAG. He’s JAGalicious only because he gets very little help from his QB or offensive line. He passes the eye test for me though as a solid real life RB.

He's more of a JAG between the tackles, but he seems to have some legit talent catching the ball. Some of the grabs he's made since Cohen went down are high-end plays. He'd never really had any receiving work previously so didn't know he had such good hands.

If he continues to get 5-10 targets a game he'll be a firm RB2 with upside. The schedule also lightens up moving forward.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

He's more of a JAG between the tackles

I believe that's a product of the O Line. Imo I think he's got his vision but it's rough when you got no where to run through or to

If foles could get the defense to respect his arm more Montgomery would eat 9/10 even with that line. Stacked boxes aren't good for any backs

Edited by Eaglesflyhigh11
  • Like 1

Bears O-line being a** like this is an indictment on the GM. You have had a project QB and two young RBs (Howard and Monty) to build your O around the last 4 years and not given them the most important thing they need -- it's not weapons in the passing game, it's not a brilliant offensive scheme, it's simply a deep and reliable O-line. Montgomery will fight for extra yards and push forward, but without the benefit of accelerating through a hole first those abilities are mitigated.

I was admittedly very high on him coming into his rookie year, but at that point I believed more in Nagy and was certain the Bears would put together a good line by 2020. Whooooooops.

Can't wait to see them grab a WR, QB and edge rusher in the first half of the draft next year!

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

Bears O-line being a** like this is an indictment on the GM. You have had a project QB and two young RBs (Howard and Monty) to build your O around the last 4 years and not given them the most important thing they need -- it's not weapons in the passing game, it's not a brilliant offensive scheme, it's simply a deep and reliable O-line. Montgomery will fight for extra yards and push forward, but without the benefit of accelerating through a hole first those abilities are mitigated.

I was admittedly very high on him coming into his rookie year, but at that point I believed more in Nagy and was certain the Bears would put together a good line by 2020. Whooooooops.

Can't wait to see them grab a WR, QB and edge rusher in the first half of the draft next year!

They are trading up in the first to take the wrong QB and also trading their 3rd to move up in  the 2nd round to grab another wr.

pace loves trading up

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

They are trading up in the first to take the wrong QB and also trading their 3rd to move up in  the 2nd round to grab another wr.

pace loves trading up

Let the Jamie Newman experiment begin!

• Like 1

I do pay some attention to ESPN fantasy personally. I consume them all. Berry and Yates hate David Montgomery. They were making the case that he isn't startable and barely rosterable last week. Just got an update from ESPN fantasy that due to a plush schedule and heavy workload David Montgomery is a potential RB1 going forward. Way to go guys.

• Haha 4
18 minutes ago, Benjamin1984 said:

I do pay some attention to ESPN fantasy personally. I consume them all. Berry and Yates hate David Montgomery. They were making the case that he isn't startable and barely rosterable last week. Just got an update from ESPN fantasy that due to a plush schedule and heavy workload David Montgomery is a potential RB1 going forward. Way to go guys.

I mean how many analysts go out on a limb and present non-groupthink opinions? Or are held accountable for their wrong calls  Right now groupthink says he's a marginal, slow-footed talent who is a low-end RB2 floor play at best. That may be the case but the line has sucked, Nagy's play calling sucks and he's had some of the worst QB play since he came into the league.  Personally I have a gut feeling he won't need to dance as much with clearer lanes.  And with him assuming Cohen's pass catching role and 5-6 catches a game I could absolutely see a path to low end RB1 value. 

And I'm not really influenced by the default "now that the schedule is good" narrative.  It's still only been 5 weeks into the season.  Still arguably too small a sample size to make blanket statements about defenses.  Especially when teams get starters back from injuries etc.  

I remember last year's pre-season I got mocked because I said Mike Davis is no slouch and could present a challenge to Monty's lead back role.  Everyone said Mike Davis is an okay RB but a journeyman at best.  That same journeyman is now returning RB1 value in no small part due to large reception volume.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I mean how many analysts go out on a limb and present non-groupthink opinions? Or are held accountable for their wrong calls  Right now groupthink says he's a marginal, slow-footed talent who is a low-end RB2 floor play at best. That may be the case but the line has sucked, Nagy's play calling sucks and he's had some of the worst QB play since he came into the league.  Personally I have a gut feeling he won't need to dance as much with clearer lanes.  And with him assuming Cohen's pass catching role and 5-6 catches a game I could absolutely see a path to low end RB1 value. 

And I'm not really influenced by the default "now that the schedule is good" narrative.  It's still only been 5 weeks into the season.  Still arguably too small a sample size to make blanket statements about defenses.  Especially when teams get starters back from injuries etc.  

I remember last year's pre-season I got mocked because I said Mike Davis is no slouch and could present a challenge to Monty's lead back role.  Everyone said Mike Davis is an okay RB but a journeyman at best.  That same journeyman is now returning RB1 value in no small part due to large reception volume.

I hear ya on on these points...I was just chuckling to myself last week when they questioning whether he was rosterable. They know full well he's rosterable. They both rank him as a RB2 nearly every week. I think they messed up the analysis somewhere here.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Benjamin1984 said:

I'm as bullish on Montgomery as they come, but even I can't go to RB1 potential because of Nagy and the OL. Also I believe Mike Clay is the one that writes the fantasy blurbs each week.

47 minutes ago, thefranchise3 said:

I'm as bullish on Montgomery as they come, but even I can't go to RB1 potential because of Nagy and the OL. Also I believe Mike Clay is the one that writes the fantasy blurbs each week.

Berry was saying that he bases his rankings on Mike Clay's projections each week nowadays. That leads me to believe they work closer in tandem then they once did. Either that or he's pretty much given up on writing them himself and is just copying Mike Clay's numbers. Just something I noticed...not a huge deal.

20 hours ago, Benjamin1984 said:

Thanks to Dalvin probably sitting this week DM is going to be pushed into my #1 rb slot.

Based on these numbers,hopefully he can perform like one.

Even if the Bears sign Bell, I'm assuming Bell can't contribute for week 6.  Right now, FantasyPros consensus rankings for 0.5 PPR has him as RB13.  True, Kamara and Jacobs aren't playing, and maybe a few other big names I can't think of off the top of my head.  But for week 6...

📈📈📈📈📈📈📈📈⬆️ ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️ 

For the first time ever other owners starting to send me trade offers for Montgomery and that includes last year. So many split backfields and time shares out there so nice to have a guy without any competition for touches and is a three down guy who can also get passes. This is a great game coming up to see his potential. 

I don't think Montgomery will have too many "blow up games," but he has a really nice floor.  

Even against a terrible Panthers' run defense, Nagy will look for any excuse to abandon the run early.  As such, I am skeptical of a 20+ carry 100+ rushing yard kind of week.  

My forecast:  

14 Carries - 56 yards 

5 Receptions - 24 yards 

1 TD

16.5 Fantasy Points in .5 PPR