NBC Sports Edge Forums

David Montgomery 2020 Outlook

38 minutes ago, BigBlueMachine said:

anyone else find it ironic when fantasy football writers make fun of an NFL players athleticism?  

Montgomery is lucky Matthew Berry doesn’t track him down after the Bears practice this week and give him an epic beatdown in front of god and everyone.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome aboard.  Since you're new here, the David Montgomery outlook thread is the Rotoworld equivalent of a senior citizen water aerobics class.  No one really gets excited.  Montgomery is mentioned

I actually think last game was positive for Montgomery.   The one thing I was looking for was whether Cohen's passing work would transfer over to Montgomery.  It did.  Montgomery had a season hig

Posted Images

09. Titans (avg)

10. Vikings (avg)

11. Bye

12. Packers (worst run d?)

13. Lions (bottom ten)

14. Texans (2nd worst?)

15. Vikings (avg)

16. Jaguars (bottom ten)

There's some reason to be excited about the late season schedule, no?

Edited by ShadySandman
9 minutes ago, ShadySandman said:

09. Titans (avg)

10. Vikings (avg)

11. Bye

13. Lions (bottom ten)

14. Texans (2nd worst?)

15. Vikings (avg)

16. Jaguars (bottom ten)

6 10/18 @CAR 19 58 3.0 12 0 4 39 9.8 13 0 0 13.7

CAR is bottom three and that's all he mustered. The O-line can run block.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ShadySandman said:

09. Titans (avg)

10. Vikings (avg)

11. Bye

13. Lions (bottom ten)

14. Texans (2nd worst?)

15. Vikings (avg)

16. Jaguars (bottom ten)

Eh I feel like it won't matter too much.  Montgomery is going to get us 8-12 half-PPR points each week, and we need to hope for goal-line TDs.

LT: Charles Leno (Average)

LG: Germain Ifedi (Bum)

C Sam Mustipher (????)

RG: Rashaad Coward (Bum)

RT: Bobby Massie (Below Average)

Coming into the season, the interior of James Daniels/Cody Whitehair was the only thing keeping this O-Line from being dreadful.  Daniels is out for the year now.  I don’t know when Whitehair will be coming back (calf injury).  The guy replacing him (Mustipher) is a complete unknown - an undrafted player getting his first NFL action.

So it’s a horrid situation for Montgomery.  

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, bangarrang said:

Anyone watch the game yesterday? What happened? Game script didn't look terrible and the Titans run defense isn't very good. I would have expected at least 70-80 yards with a possibility of a TD.

Offensive line was already brutal, and they were playing their 3rd string LG, 3rd string C, and 3rd string RT. I believe out of his 14 carries, he was hit behind the line of scrimmage 9 times. He also got concussed during garbage time and thus Nall took over and had 4 catches and a TD.

His value is next to nothing so you might as well just ride it out and hope he continues to produce at a low-end RB2 level.

13 minutes ago, thefranchise3 said:

Offensive line was already brutal, and they were playing their 3rd string LG, 3rd string C, and 3rd string RT. I believe out of his 14 carries, he was hit behind the line of scrimmage 9 times. He also got concussed during garbage time and thus Nall took over and had 4 catches and a TD.

His value is next to nothing so you might as well just ride it out and hope he continues to produce at a low-end RB2 level.

Yeah I'm fine with his low end RB2 production. Rotoworld blurbs have a serious hate boner for Montgomery but having watched him play a couple times previously this year he has absolutely no running room on like any play.

On 11/9/2020 at 8:04 AM, ponchsox said:

Every week I hear "He's a RB2 based on volume" and he gets 40 yards an no scores. Seems replaceable. 

He’s played every week so far and in PPR has put up double digits 6/9 weeks. Not sure the size of your league, but he’s absolutely not replaceable in mine. 

3 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

No news on him?  Trying to see if the pickup is Nall or Lamar Miller if he's out.  Patterson is strictly WR on CBS.

Gotta be Miller. Nall is a massive bum.

25 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

No news on him?  Trying to see if the pickup is Nall or Lamar Miller if he's out.  Patterson is strictly WR on CBS.

Since it's a concussion I don't think there'll be any concrete news until Friday, or maybe Saturday since this week is a Monday game.  Hopefully it doesn't come down to being a game-time decision.  

Who is everyone picking up as the contingency plan? Figure it’s easy enough to hold 1 of Nall, Patterson, or even Anthony Miller if you’re able to put Montgomery in the flex. If he plays, can just drop the replacement for someone on bye. 

Nall looks pretty pedestrian but I still see him getting the most snaps.  Could Patterson approach 10-12 touches? If so, he’s probably the best bet imo. What are other people doing, or are you all just assuming he’s a go?

I want no part of this backfield if Montgomery is out. If desperate and I absolutely needed someone it would be Patterson for me, but on Yahoo he's listed as only a WR (as of yesterday at least) and there are other WRs I'd rather take a shot on than him.

1 hour ago, Ryansm11 said:

RB14 on the season in PPR. 

Eh, I don't think this as great as that first appears.  I'm not in a normal PPR league so can't check there.  In Yahoo 0.5 PPR, Montgomery is also RB14 for total points which sounds great.  However, he's RB30 by average points.  The key is that he's been healthy up until now so he's been able to rack up a steady amount of total points unlike guys like Ekeler/Chubb/Mostert/others.  Montgomery has been fine but I wouldn't let the total points fool you.

Bears head coach Matt Nagy will cede play calling duties to offensive coordinator Bill Lazor in Week 10 against the Vikings. 

Chicago's offense has been abysmal for most of 2020. The Bears, who have the fifth worst offensive DVOA through Week 9, will give Lazor a shot to spark the offense Monday night against the Vikings. In two seasons as coordinator for the Bengals, Lazor's offenses were 26th and 29th in yardage and never higher than 17th in scoring. To get this Nick Foles-led offense off the ground will be a Herculean task. 

RELATED: 
Nov 13, 2020, 4:51 PM ET

Is this something worth being excited about?  I know Nagy thinks of himself as an offensive genius, but is Lazor really going to help that much?

• Haha 1
On 11/12/2020 at 10:17 PM, gbill2004 said:

I've watched a few Bears games this year and I have no clue how he puts up the fantasy points he does. Seems like every time he touches the ball it's a gain of, at best, 2 yards. 

totally agree with this take - exactly what it feels like watching him

1 hour ago, ZappB said:

Bears head coach Matt Nagy will cede play calling duties to offensive coordinator Bill Lazor in Week 10 against the Vikings. 

Chicago's offense has been abysmal for most of 2020. The Bears, who have the fifth worst offensive DVOA through Week 9, will give Lazor a shot to spark the offense Monday night against the Vikings. In two seasons as coordinator for the Bengals, Lazor's offenses were 26th and 29th in yardage and never higher than 17th in scoring. To get this Nick Foles-led offense off the ground will be a Herculean task. 

RELATED: 

Is this something worth being excited about?  I know Nagy thinks of himself as an offensive genius, but is Lazor really going to help that much?

Not sure.  On one hand it couldn’t get worse but on the other, he might use more of a RBBC.  We might not get a true read this weekend either if Montgomery sits.

2 hours ago, ZappB said:

RELATED: 

Don't matter who calls the plays. The O-line can't run block....and they are still running Nagy's system if you blame him.