NBC Sports Edge Forums

David Montgomery 2020 Outlook

13 hours ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

Looking like Drake last year. Gonna sucker everyone into taking him early second or even sneak into first depending on size of the draft

Lmao I can’t even imagine drafting this guy in the top 25 next year. I won’t be taking any bears, but I do appreciate him balling out right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome aboard.  Since you're new here, the David Montgomery outlook thread is the Rotoworld equivalent of a senior citizen water aerobics class.  No one really gets excited.  Montgomery is mentioned

I actually think last game was positive for Montgomery.   The one thing I was looking for was whether Cohen's passing work would transfer over to Montgomery.  It did.  Montgomery had a season hig

Posted Images

I would not say Patterson was the GL back. When it was truly a short yardage play Montgomery was in most of the time. However Patterson was getting a lot of the  goal to go work from the 3-4 YL and out. They were running a lot of stretch plays with him and trying to capitalize on his speed. I thought Patterson looked really good so when it comes to actually winning football games it made sense to me. Frustrating for Montgomery fantasy owners... 

54 minutes ago, cheezor42 said:

I wonder if they made some adjustments after the bye cause he’s been running like a man possessed ever since that week off. I know the matchups have been better but still, such a night and day difference.

I think the biggest thing is he's finally having some home run plays. He had the 80 yard TD this week and a 60 yarder against GB. Before he just seemed to be plodding along and you were relying on volume in order for him to produce. Now throw in these big splash plays and he's going off...all it takes is a couple of these big plays to go from a low end RB2 to a RB1.

Monty showing up well the last few weeks.

That said though, he's still a guy that I'll be putting the brakes on next year as long as Nagy is there.  I mean, this guy ripped off an 80 yard run on his first carry and got like 4-5 carries the rest of the half.  And then only gets a handful of carries in the second half when they had a huge lead at half-time. And it's surely not the first time I've been irritated watching Bears games as a Monty owner. 

It's downright frustrating seeing how much Patterson is used....And considering how bog-average Patterson has been running the ball all season.    

I mean, take away that one carry yesterday and there would've been a lot of irritated Monty owners yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, fantasyscholar said:

I think we should temper expectations this week. Guy has gone up against the worst run defenses the past few weeks and only had 11 carries last game. 

Vikings games against RB1s* 

Aron Jones 13

Jonathan Taylor 16

Derrick Henry 24

Zeke 17

Mike Davis 7

James Robinson 16

Ronald Jones 14

38 minutes ago, Buster05 said:

Anyone afraid of the vikings stacking the line of scrimmage and forcing Mitch to beat them thru the air?

Every week lol but here we are. Monty really on a roll lately. I think the bears lean on him heavily first his first 20 carry game of the season. 22/96/1 4/32 receiving. 

Edited by Ryansm11
3 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Holy **** who is this stud RB1 [...]? 

[...] this was a pleasant surprise this past month.

The question is whether it'll continue into next year assuming Cohen is back.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
1 minute ago, ZappB said:

My team with Montgomery fell apart this week unfortunately, but this was a pleasant surprise this past month.

The question is whether it'll continue into next year assuming Cohen is back.

I probably won’t draft him next year. His ADP will be inflated cause of the lack of Cohen from this year, as you said. [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed assistant coach content
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Ryansm11 said:

I probably won’t draft him next year. His ADP will be inflated cause of the lack of Cohen from this year, as you said. I have him as an 8th round keeper in my other, might pick that up. 

Agreed, plus the Bears offense always seems like a wildcard with Nagy.

Low-key monster. Can't imagine there are more than a couple guys that average more yards after contact than him. No surprise that once the O-line steadies and they start feeding him, he produces. 1600+ scrimamge yards and 10+ TDs next year. The breakout is finally happening. 

1 hour ago, Nap Time said:

What happened during the bye week?  He came out of the bye a different player.

Some combination of better playcalling (fewer runs seem to be telegraphed now with Mitch playing well and the playbook being opened up), and the offensive line has been allowing less push into the backfield.

It was taking 4 guys to bring him down yesterday. But then again it was the Vikings defense.

I had never seen him play as well as yesterday. His O-line was giving him holes. But they were very few plays yesterday where one or two guys could bring him down.

If he can bring that kind of effort and determination on a consistent basis, he will be a high draft choice next year.

Having a back like that improves Trubisky too. The play action option really gives Trubisky some time to analyze the field and he made some great throws yesterday.

But back to the fact  this was against the Vikings defense. So that tarnishes some of the shine.