NBC Sports Edge Forums

David Montgomery 2020 Outlook

40 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

but before the bye he struggled against bad defenses --- 14/30 vs TEN, 19/58 vs CAR, 14/45 vs ATL

ATL is actually pretty good against the run. I see your point, though. CHI O-line was HORRIBLE at the beginning of the year. Seemed like every play Mont was getting hit behind the line. He's been getting holes to run through now.

He's always been good runner. His strengths are yards after contact and elusiveness. People just see numbers and assume he stinks. Lazy takes. I'll admit I'm not so knowledgable that I have tabs on the health/stats of o-lines but I know enough to recognize the lines was bottom of the league and he's not as bad as the stats were indicating earlier. This and his end of year schedule are why I still own him and am about to start him against JAX for the title.

Edited by this guy right here
  • Like 1
  • Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome aboard.  Since you're new here, the David Montgomery outlook thread is the Rotoworld equivalent of a senior citizen water aerobics class.  No one really gets excited.  Montgomery is mentioned

I actually think last game was positive for Montgomery.   The one thing I was looking for was whether Cohen's passing work would transfer over to Montgomery.  It did.  Montgomery had a season hig

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Big Tuna said:

Hes been great - wonder if they use him as a true feature back next year or if they go back to that awful committee with Cohen

They just signed Cohen to a 3yr 17mill$ extension.... it will be an awful committee

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Nap Time said:

What happened during the bye week?  He came out of the bye a different player.

It's as simple as the line finding the right mix in the right spots and two of the young guys playing really well. He's not constantly getting hit behind the line.  That has a lot to do with Mitch playing well also.

Edited by SundayGravy

What the heck has gotten into this guy?

I face him next week and just viewed his last 4 games 😦

I had him no my roster earlier in the season and he did nothing now im hoping he doesn't go off again.

And he's facing the Jags??🥴

Wow.

Edited by DLG10

I think his ADP will be in the 3rd/4th round range next year, which seems appropriate given his 2020 season.

I think at that ADP, you’ll be picking from Monty, Akers, Swift, maybe Dobbins (if he’s the clear feature back), Mixon, possibly Najee Harris depending on who drafts him...there will be a lot of upside in that RB2 range for sure next year.

52 minutes ago, jmoney23 said:

I think his ADP will be in the 3rd/4th round range next year, which seems appropriate given his 2020 season.

I think at that ADP, you’ll be picking from Monty, Akers, Swift, maybe Dobbins (if he’s the clear feature back), Mixon, possibly Najee Harris depending on who drafts him...there will be a lot of upside in that RB2 range for sure next year.

Swift and Akers are going to be top 25 picks. Swift probably top 16. Akers is a bit more muddy now with the injury. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Swift and Akers are going to be top 25 picks. Swift probably top 16. Akers is a bit more muddy now with the injury. 

no chance I take Monty over those guys.....Nagy has shown he prefers RBBC when possible....I think with Cohen there next year Monty's volume goes down....

3 hours ago, Big Tuna said:

no chance I take Monty over those guys.....Nagy has shown he prefers RBBC when possible....I think with Cohen there next year Monty's volume goes down....

I think Monty is showing him his way is wrong. It's nagy though so you never know I guess

If you watch Montgomery run, he has a little Leveon Bell to his style, where he's patient until he finds the hole.  Earlier in the season, there were no holes to find and that hesitation was hurting him.  Now that the line is playing better, he is able to find holes and he has always been someone who doesn't go down on first contact.  He turned no gains into 1 or 2 yard runs earlier in the year.  Now he's turning 5 yards runs into 8-10 yard runs.  I'll admit I am surprised as anyone that he was able to rip off some longer runs because the one thing I didn't think he had was breakaway speed.  If he can continue to show that, you may really have a complete back here.

3 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

Swift top 16? Good luck with that.

I wouldn’t take Akers top 25 if Brown/Henderson are still there, but I think once you get into the 30s, he’s fair game.

On 10/31/2020 at 8:54 AM, ShadySandman said:

09. Titans (avg)

10. Vikings (avg)

11. Bye

12. Packers (worst run d?)

13. Lions (bottom ten)

14. Texans (2nd worst?)

15. Vikings (avg)

16. Jaguars (bottom ten)

There's some reason to be excited about the late season schedule, no?

I'm glad I didn't listen to most of the people on here when I posted this and they said there was no reason to be excited.

I went ahead and traded Justin Jefferson for David Montgomery anyway. I wouldn't be in the championship without him.

35 minutes ago, ShadySandman said:

I'm glad I didn't listen to most of the people on here when I posted this and they said there was no reason to be excited.

I went ahead and traded Justin Jefferson for David Montgomery anyway. I wouldn't be in the championship without him.

I've been on the Monty train all season in here. Even when people were saying cut or trade him asap because he's not gonna amount to much. It's funny seeing some of them back in here praising him now lol

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, jmoney23 said:

Swift top 16? Good luck with that.

I wouldn’t take Akers top 25 if Brown/Henderson are still there, but I think once you get into the 30s, he’s fair game.

He’s currently RB 15 (in my PPR league) in PPG and RB19 on the season despite being a rookie trapped in an early season timeshare and missing a few games due to injury. I’d say he’s a 2nd round lock for sure. Maybe closer to the 18-22 range tho I’ll give you that. 

If they fix the qb situation or address the OLine more I'll def buy again next season. A coaching change could be the cherry. Especially if it's a running coach or defensive minded coach with the mentality to dominate the time of possession when they're on O

On 12/23/2020 at 1:27 PM, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

I've been on the Monty train all season in here. Even when people were saying cut or trade him asap because he's not gonna amount to much. It's funny seeing some of them back in here praising him now lol

Think alot of us that were down on him wasn't because of talent was because of the coach.  Nagy gave up play calling before week 10 which has coincided with Mont's amazing run.

• Thanks 2
5 hours ago, youngrice said:

Think alot of us that were down on him wasn't because of talent was because of the coach.  Nagy gave up play calling before week 10 which has coincided with Mont's amazing run.

A lot of people were bashing his talent. I wouldn't be talking about nagy I totally get that side of it. The talent bashing was driving me nuts calling him a JAG and stuff. If you're bored go back through it's pretty gross

6 hours ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

A lot of people were bashing his talent. I wouldn't be talking about nagy I totally get that side of it. The talent bashing was driving me nuts calling him a JAG and stuff. If you're bored go back through it's pretty gross

Lol not that bored.  I don't doubt you.  Just speaking for us Nagy haters.  He is possibly the worst play caller in the league.  Hell look at how much better Mitch has looked recently also.  He actually looks like a NFL QB.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Lol not that bored.  I don't doubt you.  Just speaking for us Nagy haters.  He is possibly the worst play caller in the league.  Hell look at how much better Mitch has looked recently also.  He actually looks like a NFL QB.

Agreed.  I was down on Montgomery this year in this thread, and didn't think he'd do more than the mid/low level RB2, 8-12 half-PPR PPG he was doing before the bye week.  I don't think I was down on Montgomery as a player though, just the situation he was in.

• 2 weeks later...

If I've got this right, he is finishing as RB4 overall in PPR.   1-2-3 are miles ahead of him, of course, but damn, that's still a good year for him especially given how sluggish he was to start it out.  

Anyone buying him as a perennial RB1?  I'm sure Nagy isn't going to just quit Tarik Cohen, but I'm curious how he'll land in drafts next year

9 minutes ago, BrianM said:

If I've got this right, he is finishing as RB4 overall in PPR.   1-2-3 are miles ahead of him, of course, but damn, that's still a good year for him especially given how sluggish he was to start it out.  

Anyone buying him as a perennial RB1?  I'm sure Nagy isn't going to just quit Tarik Cohen, but I'm curious how he'll land in drafts next year

He’s going to be a huge trap next year. Cohen comes back and takes quite a bit of snaps and Nagy goes back to being Nagy for at least the first half of the season to show his genius. This bears offense is rinse and repeat every year. 

• Like 1
Just now, StevenSC400 said:

He’s going to be a huge trap next year. Cohen comes back and takes quite a bit of snaps and Nagy goes back to being Nagy for at least the first half of the season to show his genius. This bears offense is rinse and repeat every year. 

My first instinct here I think echoes this.  I think I'm currently at the "let someone else draft him" stage, and its because I share your arkoudaphobia.