NBC Sports Edge Forums

Odell Beckham 2020 Outlook

On 1/17/2020 at 4:30 PM, Fort4242 said:

Do we think Stefanski brings the running game focus to Cleveland, or was that because of Zimmer and Kubiak?

This is the main question. My understanding is that this was mostly Zimmer and Kubiak, but Stefanski apparently was a "good solider":

https://www.startribune.com/gary-kubiak-makes-perfect-sense-for-vikings-coach-mike-zimmer/504436202/

Note that Stefanski actually did pretty well in the passing game. The 2019 Vikings were 30th in passing attempts, but they were actually 4th in completion%, 6th in yards per attempt and desite the meagre passing attempts, they were middle of the pack (14) in terms of passing TDs. So this is not necessarily a bad OC for your WR.

Edit: ok, that was more or less the equivalent of necro-posting, replying to a post 3 months and 5 pages ago. My apologies.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1
  • Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Son, just point to where on the doll that OBJ touched you.

Yes, there's a very decent chance you're right that Odell was a good player to fade, and I think a decent number of people do/would agree with you, but your issue is you come across as an arrogant pri

@PisEdiRin Hey man we cooked up something for ya have a seat.

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

This is the main question. My understanding is that this was mostly Zimmer and Kubiak, but Stefanski apparently was a "good solider":

https://www.startribune.com/gary-kubiak-makes-perfect-sense-for-vikings-coach-mike-zimmer/504436202/

Note that Stefanski actually did pretty well in the passing game. The 2019 Vikings were 30th in passing attempts, but they were actually 4th in completion%, 6th in yards per attempt and desite the meagre passing attempts, they were middle of the pack (14) in terms of passing TDs. So this is not necessarily a bad OC for your WR.

Edit: ok, that was more or less the equivalent of necro-posting, replying to a post 3 months and 5 pages ago. My apologies.

More helpful than most the crap in this thread.  

I'm probably out on OBJ.  His production should have him get drafted a lot lower, but I think his name is going to keep him in the top few rounds and I'm not using a high pick hoping for a bounce back from 4 years ago.  

What to do with OBJ for fantasy in 2020? Such a disappointment last season...the easy thing to do is pass on him but it wouldn’t shock me if he put up top 5 fantasy WR #’s.

New HC & OC with what should be a much improved Oline. I see him being ranked outside the top 20 WR on some early expert lists. I’ll probably bite in some leagues due to the discount and hope for a 2020 bounce back season.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, J.T. Marlin said:

What to do with OBJ for fantasy in 2020? Such a disappointment last season...the easy thing to do is pass on him but it wouldn’t shock me if he put up top 5 fantasy WR #’s.

New HC & OC with what should be a much improved Oline. I see him being ranked outside the top 20 WR on some early expert lists. I’ll probably bite in some leagues due to the discount and hope for a 2020 bounce back season.

Just draft him if he falls to you, if not pass, that’ll be my strategy this year. Definitely wouldn’t mind him as my WR2. I have no quarrel with my league mates reaching for him though. At that price point he needs to have a very solid season to hit on that ADP. Let someone else deal with the risk. But if he drops a round or two , for sure I’ll try to snipe him. That would be just amazing value and no risk attached to busting on an early pick. 

I took him in the 3rd of a best ball as WR10, I think in redraft I rank him in that neighborhood too. Juju as WR17 in rnd 4, Julio in rnd 2, Keenan in rnd. With how deep the WR pool is I think I'm going RB no matter what in rnd 1 barring Thomas falling, I've seen him fall to 6.I think I take Thomas at 5 or anytime after.

• 3 months later...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/baker-mayfield-says-chemistry-with-odell-beckham-sure-as-hell-will-be-better-in-2020/

"It's sure as hell going to be a lot better than last year," Mayfield said about his chemistry with Beckham, via NFL.com. "We're just on the same page, things we talked about. There was a lot going on within the building last year. We're not going to get into that, but we're both in a better state. He's healthy; surgery was successful, thank God. He's feeling great. He's in a great state of mind."

Mayfield also said that new wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator Chad O'Shea is quickly instilling a better culture among the wide receiving corps, and that Beckham has clearly bought in as well.

"You can tell how serious the offseason was for him," Mayfield said. "It just kind of permeates throughout the whole building."

Sounds like there was a lot of BS last season and possibly a bit of OBJ behaving like a diva (my interpretation/reading between the lines). Maybe this is an option to buy low both OBJ at pick #27, and Mayfield at #120) but on the other hand... 

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/baker-mayfield-says-chemistry-with-odell-beckham-sure-as-hell-will-be-better-in-2020/

"It's sure as hell going to be a lot better than last year," Mayfield said about his chemistry with Beckham, via NFL.com. "We're just on the same page, things we talked about. There was a lot going on within the building last year. We're not going to get into that, but we're both in a better state. He's healthy; surgery was successful, thank God. He's feeling great. He's in a great state of mind."

Mayfield also said that new wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator Chad O'Shea is quickly instilling a better culture among the wide receiving corps, and that Beckham has clearly bought in as well.

"You can tell how serious the offseason was for him," Mayfield said. "It just kind of permeates throughout the whole building."

Sounds like there was a lot of BS last season and possibly a bit of OBJ behaving like a diva (my interpretation/reading between the lines). Maybe this is an option to buy low both OBJ at pick #27, and Mayfield at #120) but on the other hand... 

😩😩😩😩

D N D

As of right now, Jarvis Landry is both a better Real-life WR and Fantasy WR. We all saw that last year; both OBJ and Landry started all 16 games, yet OBJ finished as WR26, Landry finished as WR12. Landry > OBJ both in real life and fantasy. 

There's a sucker born every minute. You guys need to stop chasing the 2014-2016 OBJ. That's over with. That was all fake, manufactured production in a gimmick offense solely designed to funnel production to OBJ.

7 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

D N D

As of right now, Jarvis Landry is both a better Real-life WR and Fantasy WR. We all saw that last year; both OBJ and Landry started all 16 games, yet OBJ finished as WR26, Landry finished as WR12. Landry > OBJ both in real life and fantasy. 

There's a sucker born every minute. You guys need to stop chasing the 2014-2016 OBJ. That's over with. That was all fake, manufactured production in a gimmick offense solely designed to funnel production to OBJ.

Lol

Odell is going to ball out this year. He had a torn core all season in that dumpster fire offense and still had 1035 & 4.

The o-line looks a lot better this year, which typically means more success for the overall offense. I still think he’s capable of being an elite fantasy wr.

• Like 1

I don't mind Beckham this year.  Talent is not in question and I think the Browns as a whole got humbled last year after all the hype, I expect the offense to be much better.  This could potentially be the cheapest he comes for awhile.

Just based on the system the Vikings ran last year, if this is coming with Stefanski to Cleveland, then it's Landry I'm worried about who is very similar to Thielen stylistically.  Beckham is the big talent explosive guy, he'll get his.  Landry will be fighting with Hooper and Hunt for targets, whereas Beckham can play a role the rest of the guys don't.  I'm on board if he falls a bit.  Where he is I think you're not getting much upside over draft position.  Getting Beckham near 40 sounds pretty good to me though.

14 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

I think there's too much talent there to repeat last season. 

There's a sucker born every minute. You're fooled and blinded by the 2014-16 OBJ. You're still chasing the NYG manufactured Ponzi Scheme version of OBJ.

OBJ is not nearly as "talented" as you think he is. 

Everyone who drafts OBJ just made a clear Reach pick.

OBJ and Landry both played in 16 games last year.

OBJ finished as WR26.

Landry finished as WR12.

If you draft OBJ at his ADP instead of Landry 2 rounds later....you're bad at Fantasy Football.

13 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

There's a sucker born every minute. You're fooled and blinded by the 2014-16 OBJ. You're still chasing the NYG manufactured Ponzi Scheme version of OBJ.

OBJ finished as WR26.

Landry finished as WR12.

If you draft OBJ at his ADP instead of Landry 2 rounds later....you're bad at Fantasy Football.

Are you Jarvis Landry's mom? We like your son, you don't need to be so defensive. He's a good guy, no hard feelings.

21 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

OBJ finished as WR26.

Landry finished as WR12.

Yeah you're off your meds. OBJ is a better wr than Landry hands down, Anyone with some sense knows that. It's well publicized that OBJ had a core injury last season.

Sure, Landry had a better year last year but how can you compare an injured OBJ 2019 production to a healthy Landry 2019 and then try to insinuate that Obj is not as talented based on that.

OBJ floor is very close to Jarvis ceiling. The talent between them is not even comparable.  

Edited by jeremyt7
3 minutes ago, jeremyt7 said:

Yeah you're off your meds. OBJ is a better wr than Landry hands down, Anyone with some sense knows that. It's well publicized that OBJ had an injury to his core last season. Sure Landry had a better year last year but how can you compare an injured OBJ 2019 production to a healthy Landry 2019 and make a judgement that he's not as talented based on that. OBJ floor is very close to Jarvis ceiling. The talent between them is not even comparable.  

Kind of like saying white bread is superior to wheat bread. At the end of the day it is just bread. The white bread tastes better but it will kill you. Kind of like OBJ, he's the white bread.

Edited by FitzMagic
On 8/25/2020 at 10:12 AM, PisEdiRin said:

This is one of the worst takes I've seen on this forum in years. "Manufactured production" is complete nonsense, and I don't even know what you mean by "gimmick" offense, the G-Men had an extremely vanilla offense. 

Odell Beckham is still extremely talented, likely top 5 talented WRs in the league. This is the second thread I've seen you on claiming something is essentially "fake news" with nothing to back it up. Odell's production on the Giants was not manufactured, nor gimmicky, quite frankly it was the complete opposite of that. He roasts CBs off the line, is deadly over the top, and has some of the best YAC ability in the league. He can take any slant to the house. He single handedly won the Giants games with amazing grabs and by housing 60+ yard slants. You have no idea what you're talking about. 

Odell's supreme talent combined with a threatening running game and another good receiver on the field means that defenses cannot completely key in on Odell, giving him space to win 1 on 1s which he does routinely. Odell is a steal at his current ADP, people often claim guys who are undervalued have "top 5 potential" but for Odell, top 5 is very possible. 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, furbz420 said:

This is one of the worst takes I've seen on this forum in years. "Manufactured production" is complete nonsense, and I don't even know what you mean by "gimmick" offense, the G-Men had an extremely vanilla offense. 

Odell Beckham is still extremely talented, likely top 5 talented WRs in the league. This is the second thread I've seen you on claiming something is essentially "fake news" with nothing to back it up. Odell's production on the Giants was not manufactured, nor gimmicky, quite frankly it was the complete opposite of that. He roasts CBs off the line, is deadly over the top, and has some of the best YAC ability in the league. He can take any slant to the house. He single handedly won the Giants games with amazing grabs and by housing 60+ yard slants. You have no idea what you're talking about. 

Odell's supreme talent combined with a threatening running game and another good receiver on the field means that defenses cannot completely key in on Odell, giving him space to win 1 on 1s which he does routinely. Odell is a steal at his current ADP, people often claim guys who are undervalued have "top 5 potential" but for Odell, top 5 is very possible. 

He'll never get past having Baker Mayfield as his QB. I seriously doubt any star WR would thrive with him. He's just that bad.