NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Odell Beckham 2020 Outlook

Just now, FitzMagic said:

He'll never get past having Baker Mayfield as his QB. I seriously doubt any star WR would thrive with him. He's just that bad.

He has a strong arm and is willing to take risks, that's enough for fantasy purposes, they don't need to win games.

Odell performed fantastically with a sharply declining Eli Manning, it's not like he has played with great QBs to this point. 

16 minutes ago, furbz420 said:

This is one of the worst takes I've seen on this forum in years. "Manufactured production" is complete nonsense, and I don't even know what you mean by "gimmick" offense, the G-Men had an extremely vanilla offense. 

Odell Beckham is still extremely talented, likely top 5 talented WRs in the league. This is the second thread I've seen you on claiming something is essentially "fake news" with nothing to back it up. Odell's production on the Giants was not manufactured, nor gimmicky, quite frankly it was the complete opposite of that. He roasts CBs off the line, is deadly over the top, and has some of the best YAC ability in the league. He can take any slant to the house. He single handedly won the Giants games with amazing grabs and by housing 60+ yard slants. You have no idea what you're talking about. 

Odell's supreme talent combined with a threatening running game and another good receiver on the field means that defenses cannot completely key in on Odell, giving him space to win 1 on 1s which he does routinely. Odell is a steal at his current ADP, people often claim guys who are undervalued have "top 5 potential" but for Odell, top 5 is very possible. 

I'm a Giants fan who is an expert on Ben McAdoo's offense in the 4 years he coached here (2 years as OC, 2 years as HC). I know more about this subject than you - trust me.

Let me tell you a dirty little secret/fact: McAdoo's entire offense was a vanilla, gimmick offense geared towards funnelling production to OBJ when the tempo of the game sped up / when the Giants fell behind. All of OBJ's production from 2014-16 was fake, manufactured production as part of a Ponzi Scheme. The Giants sole purpose those years was to create a superstar in OBJ - through manufacture.

I'll warn you one last time: Do not draft OBJ. 

Either listen to my warning or go right ahead and draft the Bust / Headache. It's your loss, not mine.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, furbz420 said:

He has a strong arm and is willing to take risks, that's enough for fantasy purposes, they don't need to win games.

Odell performed fantastically with a sharply declining Eli Manning, it's not like he has played with great QBs to this point. 

That's because Eli made OBJ.

OBJ with Eli = Top 3 overall WR

OBJ without Eli = a standard WR3 (Top 36 WR)

4 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

I'm a Giants fan who is an expert on Ben McAdoo's offense in the 4 years he coached here (2 years as OC, 2 years as HC). I know more about this subject than you - trust me.

Let me tell you a dirty little secret/fact: McAdoo's entire offense was a vanilla, gimmick offense geared towards funnelling production to OBJ when the tempo of the game sped up / when the Giants fell behind. All of OBJ's production from 2014-16 was fake, manufactured production as part of a Ponzi Scheme. The Giants sole purpose those years was to create a superstar in OBJ - through manufacture.

I'll warn you one last time: Do not draft OBJ. 

Either listen to my warning or go right ahead and draft the Bust / Headache. It's your loss, not mine.

Instead of just making claims, how about actually substantiating one, backing one up. Please explain how Odell's production was "fake", "manufactured", and a "ponzi scheme".

Edit: tell me how these were "fake" ? 

Oh look, he did it again last year on a new team, still fake though?

All those defenses he outran must have been in on the ponzi scheme too. 

Edited by furbz420
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, jeremyt7 said:

Yeah you're off your meds. OBJ is a better wr than Landry hands down, Anyone with some sense knows that. It's well publicized that OBJ had a core injury last season.

Sure, Landry had a better year last year but how can you compare an injured OBJ 2019 production to a healthy Landry 2019 and then try to insinuate that Obj is not as talented based on that.

OBJ floor is very close to Jarvis ceiling. The talent between them is not even comparable.  

They will make up any injury excuse to explain away OBJ's mediocre play. You're being a sucker. Don't be a sucker.

Jarvis Landry will outscore OBJ (again) in 2020. Landry is better than OBJ, and 2020 will make that official.

Take that to the bank.

Whether people like it or not, Eli has been in the conversation of whether he is HOF worthy or not. People debating whether he belongs in the Hall. So, even if you think he's trash, he's floral scented garbage that Baker will never be. I love Odell and think he's really talented, but he needs to be in the right situation. He isn't the type that can make a QB look better.

• Like 1

Just now, PisEdiRin said:

They will make up any injury excuse to explain away OBJ's mediocre play. You're being a sucker. Don't be a sucker.

Jarvis Landry will outscore OBJ (again) in 2020. Landry is better than OBJ, and 2020 will make that official.

Take that to the bank.

bank has returned your personal check, they said fraudulent claims lol BUGGIN

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, furbz420 said:

Instead of just making claims, how about actually substantiating one, backing one up. Please explain how Odell's production was "fake", "manufactured", and a "ponzi scheme".

Do not draft OBJ.

If you do, it's your loss.

OBJ Drafters are like Fournette Drafters. All the warning signs are there smacking you in the face, but hey, let's ignore them!

1 minute ago, PisEdiRin said:

Do not draft OBJ.

If you do, it's your loss.

OBJ Drafters are like Fournette Drafters. All the warning signs are there smacking you in the face, but hey, let's ignore them!

Yes, as you have demonstrated in this thread and a few others I have checked out today, you spew nonsense, have nothing of any actual substance to add, and will just claim I told you so! when inevitably 1 of your 50 outlandish claims actually comes to fruition, because even a broken clock is right twice a day. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jeremyt7 said:

bank has returned your personal check, they said fraudulent claims lol BUGGIN

16 games played in 2019:

OBJ WR26

Landry WR12

Which option is better?

1) Draft the WR26 at his ridiculously inflated ADP based on what he did 4-6 years ago in a gimmick scheme.

Or

2) Wait a couple rounds later to draft the WR12 aka the real Fantasy WR1 on the Browns.

Dumb FF players choose Option 1

Smart FF players choose Option 2

Which are you?

33 minutes ago, furbz420 said:

This is one of the worst takes I've seen on this forum in years. "Manufactured production" is complete nonsense, and I don't even know what you mean by "gimmick" offense, the G-Men had an extremely vanilla offense. 

Odell Beckham is still extremely talented, likely top 5 talented WRs in the league. This is the second thread I've seen you on claiming something is essentially "fake news" with nothing to back it up. Odell's production on the Giants was not manufactured, nor gimmicky, quite frankly it was the complete opposite of that. He roasts CBs off the line, is deadly over the top, and has some of the best YAC ability in the league. He can take any slant to the house. He single handedly won the Giants games with amazing grabs and by housing 60+ yard slants. You have no idea what you're talking about. 

Odell's supreme talent combined with a threatening running game and another good receiver on the field means that defenses cannot completely key in on Odell, giving him space to win 1 on 1s which he does routinely. Odell is a steal at his current ADP, people often claim guys who are undervalued have "top 5 potential" but for Odell, top 5 is very possible. 

So what went wrong last year?

I have another hypothesis:

1. OBJ is a Diva. Fact.
2. OBJ was not happy about going to Browns. Fact.
3. OBJ's performance will be directly tied to the Brown's successful/failure.

We will see.

7 minutes ago, furbz420 said:

Yes, as you have demonstrated in this thread and a few others I have checked out today, you spew nonsense, have nothing of any actual substance to add, and will just claim I told you so! when inevitably 1 of your 50 outlandish claims actually comes to fruition, because even a broken clock is right twice a day. 

See my last post.

You're an Option 1 guy.

There's no saving you at this point.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, furbz420 said:

It's a complicated explanation - one that I do not have the time to explain thoroughly. But just know it is 100% real and true. This is not BS.

Let me ask you this:

If 2014-16 never happened, are you still drafting 2020 OBJ at that ludicrous ADP?

27 minutes ago, furbz420 said:

Edit: tell me how these were "fake" ? 

Oh look, he did it again last year on a new team, still fake though?

All those defenses he outran must have been in on the ponzi scheme too. 

He did it again on a new team?

You mean, when he played in all 16 games and finished as the WR26, making him a Fantasy WR3 (by definition)?

You used 1 play in 2019 to judge OBJ.

I used 16 games in 2019 to judge OBJ.

See the difference ?

1 play versus 16 games....hmmmm

Edited by PisEdiRin

3 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

It's a complicated explanation - one that I do not have the time to explain thoroughly. But just know it is 100% real and true. This is not BS.

Let me ask you this:

If 2014-16 never happened, are you still drafting 2020 OBJ at that ludicrous ADP?

The reason why you draft anyone is based on prior performances. That shows you what one is capable of. You have and will never own shares in OBJ; you just like hanging out here 😳

2 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

Let me ask you this:

You're conveniently leaving out 77/1052/6 in 12 games in 2018 with the corpse of Eli Manning before missing the rest of the games with a quad. The guy is only 27 years old and he is fully healthy right now for the 1st time since that 2018 injury.

You may be onto something though.. I'm just going to decide to ignore a player's best 3 years and reevaluate if I want to draft them.

2 minutes ago, nicksti said:

The reason why you draft anyone is based on prior performances. That shows you what one is capable of. You have and will never own shares in OBJ; you just like hanging out here 😳

You are drafting OBJ in 2020 based on what he did 4-6 years ago in a completely different situation/context.

I am telling you that is a huge mistake. 

1 minute ago, PisEdiRin said:

You are drafting OBJ in 2020 based on what he did 4-6 years ago in a completely different situation/context.

I am telling you that is a huge mistake. 

That is not an entirely accurate assessment. If we drafted OBJ based on what he did 4-6 years ago he would be a first rounder. He is being taken at an all time low for him because it was 4-6 years ago. Not unusual just look at David Johnson and LeVeon Bell.

8 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

You're conveniently leaving out 77/1052/6 in 12 games in 2018 with the corpse of Eli Manning before missing the rest of the games with a quad. The guy is only 27 years old and he is fully healthy right now for the 1st time since that 2018 injury.

You may be onto something though.. I'm just going to decide to ignore a player's best 3 years and reevaluate if I want to draft them.

He’s done nothing without Eli Manning. Let’s see if he can change that this year...he’s out of excuses.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

Let me ask you this:

"If 2014-2016 never happened" WoOoOoOoWwwW!

His ADP is not ridiculous he's late 2nd early 3rd rounder!

I'll take him over any of those guys that are listed behind him any day.

Stop with your fallacies bro, you're making a clown out of yourself. 

26. Allen Robinson II, CHI -- WR10, $30 (Bye: 11)
27. Adam Thielen, MIN -- WR11, $30 (Bye: 7)
28. JuJu Smith-Schuster, PIT -- WR12, $29 (Bye: 😎
29. Amari Cooper, DAL -- WR13, $28 (Bye: 10)
30. Courtland Sutton, DEN -- WR14, $26 (Bye: 😎
31. Odell Beckham Jr., CLE -- WR15, $26 (Bye: 9)
32. Calvin Ridley, ATL -- WR16, $25 (Bye: 10)
33. A.J. Brown, TEN -- WR17, $24 (Bye: 7)
34. Lamar Jackson, BAL -- QB1, $23 (Bye: 😎
35. Patrick Mahomes, KC -- QB2, $22 (Bye: 10)
36. Robert Woods, LAR -- WR18, $22 (Bye: 9)
37. Tyler Lockett, SEA -- WR19, $22 (Bye: 6)
38. Cooper Kupp, LAR -- WR20, $21 (Bye: 9)

3 minutes ago, jeremyt7 said:

"If 2014-2016 never happened" WoOoOoOoWwwW!

His ADP is not ridiculous he's late 2nd early 3rd rounder!

I'll take him over any of those guys that are listed behind him any day.

Stop with your fallacies bro, you're making a clown out of yourself. 

26. Allen Robinson II, CHI -- WR10, $30 (Bye: 11)
27. Adam Thielen, MIN -- WR11, $30 (Bye: 7)
28. JuJu Smith-Schuster, PIT -- WR12, $29 (Bye: 😎
29. Amari Cooper, DAL -- WR13, $28 (Bye: 10)
30. Courtland Sutton, DEN -- WR14, $26 (Bye: 😎
31. Odell Beckham Jr., CLE -- WR15, $26 (Bye: 9)
32. Calvin Ridley, ATL -- WR16, $25 (Bye: 10)
33. A.J. Brown, TEN -- WR17, $24 (Bye: 7)
34. Lamar Jackson, BAL -- QB1, $23 (Bye: 😎
35. Patrick Mahomes, KC -- QB2, $22 (Bye: 10)
36. Robert Woods, LAR -- WR18, $22 (Bye: 9)
37. Tyler Lockett, SEA -- WR19, $22 (Bye: 6)
38. Cooper Kupp, LAR -- WR20, $21 (Bye: 9)

Yes, the 2019 WR26 being drafted at the 2nd/3rd round turn is ridiculous.

Sutton, Ridley, Cooper, Woods, and Lockett are all better than OBJ and should be drafted before OBJ. All 5 will outscore OBJ if they play a full season.

OBJ drafters are suckers.

Edited by PisEdiRin

25 minutes ago, nicksti said:

That is not an entirely accurate assessment. If we drafted OBJ based on what he did 4-6 years ago he would be a first rounder. He is being taken at an all time low for him because it was 4-6 years ago. Not unusual just look at David Johnson and LeVeon Bell.

He was the WR26 despite a full 16 games played. OBJ was a classic WR3. Drafting him in the Round 2/3 area is ludicrous. That's for suckers.

1 hour ago, FitzMagic said:

Whether people like it or not, Eli has been in the conversation of whether he is HOF worthy or not. People debating whether he belongs in the Hall. So, even if you think he's trash, he's floral scented garbage that Baker will never be. I love Odell and think he's really talented, but he needs to be in the right situation. He isn't the type that can make a QB look better.

Calling Baker garbage seems like a bit too much recency bias.  Yes he had a terrible year last year, but let's not forget he set the rookie TD pass record in less than a full season, he's not garbage.  Looks like he's kept his mouth shut and focused on getting himself in better shape and mastering the playbook this offseason; I like him to bounce back.  Not to mention he had a coach that was in way over his head.

I don't think he's going to hurt Odell's numbers any more than a nearing retirement Eli Manning.  Baker can do for Odell what Kurt Cousins did for Diggs last year.  With Beckham's talent (not like Diggs is a slouch anyways), that should be WR1 numbers; Beckham is fine around where his ADP is.

Or, you know, don't draft him like that Pis guy, because.