NBC Sports Edge Forums

Houston Astros 2020 Outlook

Can we get a little more cowbell up in here?

In all seriousness, anyone think the players on this team have significant fall offs in performance?  Or is it going to be business as normal?  AL West is stacked.  Outside of the diarrhea Mariners, the Angels, Rangers, A’s should all be very competitive clubs.  Houston still the favorites in West?

• Haha 1
58 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah but they also will be highly motivated to "prove" they are legit hitters as well.  AL West will finally be competitive and fun again this season.

Mariners will provide the batting practice for the 4 clubs ☹️

Some numbers will probably fall a bit, but Bregman, Altuve, Springer, Yordan, are all still fantastic hitters one way or another. I'm not so much concerned about statistical fallout as I am interested in seeing if some of these guys can slide down the draft board a bit. I'd guess probably not, but it's worth watching for

Edit to add, they also still have Verlander and Grienke at the top of their rotation. Not too many other teams can match that. The Astros are still going to be very good

Edited by Hollywood42

I'd have to imagine that players like Bregman and Altuve will be feeling a lot more pressure out of the gate than they normally would. They'll be anxious to prove they're legitimate star players and it could have them pressing more than normal. 

Any 1-for-20 slump is going to draw A LOT more attention than it otherwise would.

Edited by sportsfreak2744
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

How many spots of ADP do you think the scandal will cost Astros’ hitters? Hard to be overly bullish on any of them. Figure they’ll drop a few picks.

Its definitely something that will be tangible. Especially for guys like Bregman and Altuve I think they will certainly drop a few spots. It'll be more interesting to see how other players like Yordan, Yuli, and Correa are effected.

Looks like the Stros will be hiring Dusty Baker to be their manager for 2020. I dont rate Dusty very high in terms of 'best managers'. Not sure how he will be able to motivate or keep morale high for the circus that is to be the 2020 Astros season.

1 hour ago, jonninho said:

Looks like the Stros will be hiring Dusty Baker to be their manager for 2020. I dont rate Dusty very high in terms of 'best managers’. Not sure how he will be able to motivate or keep morale high for the circus that is to be the 2020 Astros season.

Motivating and keeping morale high are Baker’s strengths. It’s why he keeps getting jobs despite being unaware that baseball strategy has evolved in the past 120 years.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Overlord said:

Bregman and Altuve honestly need to keep an eye out all year long for chin music.  I realistically expect multiple bench clearing brawls specifically involving those two POS cheaters.  

Agreed. I dont think some people truly understand how much of this the Astros are going to encounter. It is one of the bigger reasons i have the A's winning the division this year. I expect both to be banged up through out the year, and quite possibly lucky to finish the year.

On a side note, i am curious what happens when Mike Fiers is pitching against Jose Altuve/Bregman. going to be must watch TV.

4 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Motivating and keeping morale high are Baker’s strengths. It’s why he keeps getting jobs despite being unaware that baseball strategy has evolved in the past 120 years.

I see your point. I mean, he has actually had a lot of success as an MLB manager.. albeit he has not won a World Series. Division titles, WS appearance, manager of the year awards, etc.