NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Jones 2020 Outlook

54 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Dude averages like 140 yards per game in games where he gets 20 plus touches. It's INSANE that this dude can't get bellcow work. If he's the guy next week, he will absolutely win a ton of leagues for people. 

I agree, but also think its worth noting that Rodgers looked so dejected tonight after the game. Despite the win, he even mentioned that it was a disappointing win because of how poorly the offense played in the second half. I can see next week against TEN being a really good, competitive game, but I sense Rodgers having a superb game because he has a sour taste in his mouth after tonight's collective offensive performance in the 2nd half. Wouldnt be surprised if it's more of a Rodgers game for that reason. You can just sense during his postgame interview that he's gonna try and rip the Titans a new one. And the Titans are good enough to force him to play his best. 

So I'm expecting more of what we saw the last couple weeks rather than what we saw tonight, but obviously hoping for more of what we saw tonight. Of course Jamaal Williams being out was a huge reason they leaned on Jones early and often. Not sure the severity of Williams injury 

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I stopped reading here 

Suddenly lots of love in here. You mean we shouldn't be shying away because his team used a mid round pick (last pick of the second round) on a depth/insurance RB. I thought that was supposed to be th

Some people believe that their "RB1" has to be a "workhorse RB". But the trend of the workhorse RB as it used to be thought of, is getting close to extinct. I've looked up RB trends for Top 12 RB's (i

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, cbsholy said:

I agree, but also think its worth noting that Rodgers looked so dejected tonight after the game. Despite the win, he even mentioned that it was a disappointing win because of how poorly the offense played in the second half. I can see next week against TEN being a really good, competitive game, but I sense Rodgers having a superb game because he has a sour taste in his mouth after tonight's collective offensive performance in the 2nd half. Wouldnt be surprised if it's more of a Rodgers game for that reason. You can just sense during his postgame interview that he's gonna try and rip the Titans a new one. And the Titans are good enough to force him to play his best. 

So I'm expecting more of what we saw the last couple weeks rather than what we saw tonight, but obviously hoping for more of what we saw tonight. Of course Jamaal Williams being out was a huge reason they leaned on Jones early and often. Not sure the severity of Williams injury 

If Williams misses the game, and the Pack go pass heavy, Jones could see a Kamara-lite workload. I'm here for it. 

• Like 1

Aaron Jones could rush for 250 yards and 3 TD's in a game, and there still would be people who talked about his performance with caveats of "but" or "should have been even better". It truly is astounding how so many can't appreciate what they do have with Jones. 😣

• Like 1

IMO, he had a good year for where he should have been drafted.   Four games under 10 in PPR but two of them were 9+ and the other two were over 7+.   None of the sub 5 games like last year.   Although I guess it would have been pure luck to have been able to avoid McCaffrey, Zeke, Thomas, etc.    Kamara/Jones or Henry/Jones seems like it would be a guaranteed playoff spot.  

The only reason he got workhorse usage this past week is because Jamaal Williams suffered an in-game injury and missed most of the game. If Williams is healthy enough to play I'm guessing we will see another 15 carry game for Jones. 

I also firmly believe Rodgers has a bad taste in his mouth after that second half performance last game. I think hes gonna be out for blood this next game vs Tennessee. 

4 hours ago, K197040 said:

IMO, he had a good year for where he should have been drafted.   Four games under 10 in PPR but two of them were 9+ and the other two were over 7+.   None of the sub 5 games like last year.   Although I guess it would have been pure luck to have been able to avoid McCaffrey, Zeke, Thomas, etc.    Kamara/Jones or Henry/Jones seems like it would be a guaranteed playoff spot.  

Edit...those numbers above were for Standard.  Only one game sub 10 (9.5) game in PPR.  

11 minutes ago, donslaughtonslaught said:

Anyone know why Fanduel has a blurb about Jones limited today with a toe? I cannot imagine Rotoworld and other sources wouldn’t have reported that by now

Because he was limited with a toe injury. That’s all anyone seems to be saying. 

16 minutes ago, Paper said:

Because he was limited with a toe injury. That’s all anyone seems to be saying. 

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/23/what-to-know-from-packers-first-injury-report-of-week-16/

– Running back Jamaal Williams did not practice on Wednesday, potentially putting him at risk of missing Sunday. He injured his quad against the Carolina Panthers.

– Running back Aaron Jones has a new toe injury, but he still participated in a limited fashion on Wednesday.

The fact that this guy says there were no visible limitations on him during the open portion of practice is a good sign. Maybe he can log some Full Participation practices tomorrow and/or Friday. If he can log a full practice and Jamaal Williams doesnt play (DNP today), this could be a big week.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, cbsholy said:

The fact that this guy says there were no visible limitations on him during the open portion of practice is a good sign. Maybe he can log some Full Participation practices tomorrow and/or Friday. If he can log a full practice and Jamaal Williams doesnt play (DNP today), this could be a big week.

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty good season from Jones.  Even with the missed games, he had over 1300 APY and close to 50 receptions.   

Not to mention, he was only sub 10 PPR points one time.    Definitely returned value.   Even more so with all the first round busts.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

For the sake of discussion, IF Aaron Jones plays for another team in 2021, which teams are the likely suitors? Which teams would be interested in paying top dollar for Jones, and how is his value affected based on landing spot?

Arizona Cardinals- Possibly? They have Drake/Edmonds but it was a disappointing season overall for AZ. Jones is an upgrade and could be a difference-making weapon on that team. I’d say his value stays the same, or maybe increases in AZ based on increased usage on what should be a potent, fast paced offense. 

Atlanta Falcons- Definite suitor. They need a lead RB, and Jones’ value would increase slightly based on similar usage on a strong offense with more RB red zone opportunities. 

Baltimore Ravens- nope
Buffalo Bills- nope
Carolina Panthers-nope
Chicago Bears-nope
Cincinnati Bengals-nope
Cleveland Browns-nope
Dallas Cowboys-nope

Denver Broncos- Possibly? Jones’ value decreases significantly in Denver imo based on a lackluster offense.

Detroit Lions- nope

Houston Texans- Possibly, too many questions right now to gauge potential value. If Watson stays and they give him weapons I love Jones as one of them in Houston. 

Indianapolis Colts-nope
Jacksonville Jaguars- nope
Kansas City Chiefs- nope
Las Vegas Raiders- nope
Los Angeles Chargers- nope
Los Angeles Rams- nope

Miami Dolphins- Possibly. As is, Jones value dips a bit, but with Watson there would stay the same.
Minnesota Vikings- nope

New England Patriots- nope, they won’t pay top dollar for Jones.

New Orleans Saints- nope
New York Giants- nope

New York Jets- Please God no.

Philadelphia Eagles- nope

Pittsburgh Steelers- Possibly. Would be very interesting if Jones lands in Pittsburgh, and his value increases  based on a typical Steeles starting RB workload.

San Francisco 49ers- Possibly. Could Jones finally put an end to the revolving door? Value stays the same if so. 

Seattle Seahawks- Possibly, but seems unlikely with Carson, Penny, Dallas all in play. If Jones lands in Seattle as the clear lead RB his value increases based on usage.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers- nope
Tennessee Titans- nope
Washington Football Team- nope

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Lamont Sanford said:

For the sake of discussion, IF Aaron Jones plays for another team in 2021, which teams are the likely suitors? Which teams would be interested in paying top dollar for Jones, and how is his value affected based on landing spot?

Arizona Cardinals- Possibly? They have Drake/Edmonds but it was a disappointing season overall for AZ. Jones is an upgrade and could be a difference-making weapon on that team. I’d say his value stays the same, or maybe increases in AZ based on increased usage on what should be a potent, fast paced offense. 

Atlanta Falcons- Definite suitor. They need a lead RB, and Jones’ value would increase slightly based on similar usage on a strong offense with more RB red zone opportunities. 

Baltimore Ravens- nope
Buffalo Bills- nope
Carolina Panthers-nope
Chicago Bears-nope
Cincinnati Bengals-nope
Cleveland Browns-nope
Dallas Cowboys-nope

Denver Broncos- Possibly? Jones’ value decreases significantly in Denver imo based on a lackluster offense.

Detroit Lions- nope

Houston Texans- Possibly, too many questions right now to gauge potential value. If Watson stays and they give him weapons I love Jones as one of them in Houston. 

Indianapolis Colts-nope
Jacksonville Jaguars- nope
Kansas City Chiefs- nope
Las Vegas Raiders- nope
Los Angeles Chargers- nope
Los Angeles Rams- nope

Miami Dolphins- Possibly. As is, Jones value dips a bit, but with Watson there would stay the same.
Minnesota Vikings- nope

New England Patriots- nope, they won’t pay top dollar for Jones.

New Orleans Saints- nope
New York Giants- nope

New York Jets- Please God no.

Philadelphia Eagles- nope

Pittsburgh Steelers- Possibly. Would be very interesting if Jones lands in Pittsburgh, and his value increases  based on a typical Steeles starting RB workload.

San Francisco 49ers- Possibly. Could Jones finally put an end to the revolving door? Value stays the same if so. 

Seattle Seahawks- Possibly, but seems unlikely with Carson, Penny, Dallas all in play. If Jones lands in Seattle as the clear lead RB his value increases based on usage.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers- nope
Tennessee Titans- nope
Washington Football Team- nope

Seahawks and Steelers seem unlikely to me. Both teams have FA RBs. If they aren't willing to pay up to keep their own guy, I doubt it's because they are going to pay even more for the most expensive back on the market.

On the flip side, Arizona seems more like a definite suitor. Drake is probably gone, as he's been a big disappointment, for the most part. Edmonds has consistently looked good though, and they could move forward with him, plus cheaper options. 

Most likely seem like the Falcons, Dolphins, Jets (sorry), or Cardinals.

IF he doesn't stay in GB.

ATL becomes a lot more interesting with (likely) new GM Terry Fontenot (from the saints) and if he is able to bring Joe Brady on to coach. They will feature the back in the passing game a bunch and Jones certainly has the chops for it. Their line needs work, but it did show some improvement last year. Slight issue there is that they are sitting about 25 MM over the cap for next year...but some creative restructuring and cuts should gain them enough space.

Also like HOU--if they can remedy the Watson situation.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Why not Tampa?

I mean, anything’s possible. Ronald Jones looked really good much of this year and is still on his rookie contract, right? Fournette could probably be brought back cheaply, and Vaughn exists. I just don’t see the need matching the expense in Tampa. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Also like HOU--if they can remedy the Watson situation.

Houston has no money. They will need to do a full deep rebuild and sell all assets - I don't see a realistic scenario where Aaron Jones makes sense there.

Then again, Houston.

The Falcons have a similar problem in that they have no cap space at the moment. On the other hand, there's a host of terrible teams with money (Jets, Jags, Bengals). Oh, and the Patriots ;)

Chargers or Broncos anyone?

4 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Houston has no money. They will need to do a full deep rebuild and sell all assets - I don't see a realistic scenario where Aaron Jones makes sense there.

Then again, Houston.

The Falcons have a similar problem in that they have no cap space at the moment. On the other hand, there's a host of terrible teams with money (Jets, Jags, Bengals). Oh, and the Patriots ;)

Chargers or Broncos anyone?

Chargers make very little sense, as they have Ekeler as a do it all back. Would they relegate him to a backup role, or go 1A-1B with him and Jones. That seems unlikely. 

Broncos are a possibility, but they gave 16 million dollars to Melvin Gordon. I doubt they'd hand out another massive RB contract while they still have Gordon. 

Jags and Bengals already have franchise backs. 

Honestly, seems like going back to the Pack is the most likely scenario, IMO. 

5 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Chargers make very little sense, as they have Ekeler as a do it all back. Would they relegate him to a backup role, or go 1A-1B with him and Jones. That seems unlikely. 

Broncos are a possibility, but they gave 16 million dollars to Melvin Gordon. I doubt they'd hand out another massive RB contract while they still have Gordon. 

Jags and Bengals already have franchise backs. 

Honestly, seems like going back to the Pack is the most likely scenario, IMO. 

I don’t see any way he will be back with the Packers.  They are already projected to be $24 million over the cap and will likely prioritize Lindsey over Jones.  Then they need to consider extending Adam’s, since 2021 is the last year on his contract.

They drafted Dillon specifically for this.  Jones will not be a Packer next year.