NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Jones 2020 Outlook

13 hours ago, sjm76 said:

I don't know about that.  Jones finished out last season strong with some big games and he also had a couple of big games catching the ball.  In PPR, he should still be a high end rb2 at the least.

His catches/performances benefitted from adams/williams being out. Adams is back.

He is touch down dependent and they got aj dillion.

He isnt a bellcow but your drafting him like one.

He splits ALOT/snaps/starts/carries with Williams, now they also have dillon.

They are going to throw more based on GB history/schedule will force it.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I stopped reading here 

Suddenly lots of love in here. You mean we shouldn't be shying away because his team used a mid round pick (last pick of the second round) on a depth/insurance RB. I thought that was supposed to be th

Some people believe that their "RB1" has to be a "workhorse RB". But the trend of the workhorse RB as it used to be thought of, is getting close to extinct. I've looked up RB trends for Top 12 RB's (i

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

His catches/performances benefitted from adams/williams being out. Adams is back.

He is touch down dependent and they got aj dillion.

He isnt a bellcow but your drafting him like one.

He splits ALOT/snaps/starts/carries with Williams, now they also have dillon.

They are going to throw more based on GB history/schedule will force it.

I was having second thoughts about drafting Joe Mixon over Jones in one of my drafts but maybe I made the right pick after all.

On 4/29/2020 at 4:21 PM, JE7HorseGod said:

I think you just inspired me to take him and Evans on a team together as an experiment.

Don't do it. I lived this waking nightmare last year. It was awful. When I won, I typically won by 50-60 points, but I limped into the playoffs and was quickly dispatched. Your sanity is worth more than this, trust me.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, TheDude4bides said:

Don't do it. I lived this waking nightmare last year. It was awful. When I won, I typically won by 50-60 points, but I limped into the playoffs and was quickly dispatched. Your sanity is worth more than this, trust me.

Since you say you were quickly dispatched in the playoffs, it seems like you lost in Week 14. 

In Week 14, Jones was the #2 RB in PPR (31.2 points and just .1 behind #1 Ekeler's 31.3). Jones was the #2 RB in Standard scoring as well.

Seems like your playoff loss had a lot to do with things other than Aaron Jones.

6 hours ago, Corleone said:

Since you say you were quickly dispatched in the playoffs, it seems like you lost in Week 14. 

In Week 14, Jones was the #2 RB in PPR (31.2 points and just .1 behind #1 Ekeler's 31.3). Jones was the #2 RB in Standard scoring as well.

Seems like your playoff loss had a lot to do with things other than Aaron Jones.

... he could've had a week 14 bye, ergo making his first playoff game week 15?

🤔

ETA: just saw he said "limped" into playoffs, so ixnay atthay. 

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
23 hours ago, Corleone said:

Sorry, we call week 14 the play-in games. Week 15, but I also have to caveat and say I believe Evans was hurt by then. But you cannot find a more infuriating duo to own.

47 minutes ago, TheDude4bides said:

Sorry, we call week 14 the play-in games. Week 15, but I also have to caveat and say I believe Evans was hurt by then. But you cannot find a more infuriating duo to own.

Jones was pretty good in Week 15 as well, ranking as the #14 RB in PPR and #12 in Standard. 

Edited by Corleone
On 8/16/2020 at 5:44 AM, nmartinez12443 said:

He is touch down dependent

Six RBs had more yards from scrimmage last year than Aaron Jones. He led the league in broken tackles per attempt.

Six RBs had more yards from scrimmage last year than Aaron Jones. He led the league in broken tackles per attempt.

Sorry. I just felt the need to say that a few times in order to compensate for the number of times I've read that he's just a TD dependent RB.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Sorry. I just felt the need to say that a few times in order to compensate for the number of times I've read that he's just a TD dependent RB.

I was a Jones owner and it's a mixed bag.   He finished outside the top 36 four times.   And five times if you say, outside the top 35.   That's the worst of the top 14 RB.

Further, once Adams was healthy, the reception points dropped.

From weeks 9-14 (6 games), he busted 3 times.  

Dillon is going to get some of that goal line work.

I'd love to see them use Jones like Kamara.   But with Williams still there, it's hard to bank on.

7 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Didn't realize 2019 stats transferred over to 2020.  Also how many points do you get for points per broken tackle? 

These are his carries per game and I am too lazy to look up games williams was out/left early. 

13, 23, 10, 13, 19, 11, 12, 13, 8, 13, 13, 11, 16, 13, 23, 25

Now throw in 2nd Rounder AJ Dillion who along with williams will take carries away.

So in 11/17 games he got 15 carries or less, not great and I am not drafting a guy with a top 24 pick who is in a 3 way committee.  

This offense is not strong enough for him to achieve that amount of efficiency and there are too many mouths to feed. Plus now Adams is back which transforms the offense which could be good or bad. My guess they revert back to throwing. Look at the schedule, they are going to be throwing ALOT. 

• Thanks 1

The Packers will be running the ball more this season. He's established as the guy. He touched the ball on average 18 times per game last season. He's Rodger's next most talented option after Adams. Is he more risky than Clyde Edwards-Helaire or Miles Sanders? They're going around where he's going. Two young guys with limited off-season work who are a case of fumblitis or a handful of poorly blocked series away from capping their upside this season. 

10 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

The Packers will be running the ball more this season. He's established as the guy. He touched the ball on average 18 times per game last season. He's Rodger's next most talented option after Adams. Is he more risky than Clyde Edwards-Helaire or Miles Sanders? They're going around where he's going. Two young guys with limited off-season work who are a case of fumblitis or a handful of poorly blocked series away from capping their upside this season. 

Check the schedule. If he was THE guy why was he splitting carries/snaps/ even starts with williams. Now throw in a 2nd round talented rb like AJ Dillon, nothing shows us that they are committes to him. Too risky. 

Now I agree about Miles Sanders. Phili rotates backs alot and Boston Scott was too good to not to get touches.

CEH is a top 8 pick too rich for me. Could end up being a rich mans Darwin Thompson.

23 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

Check the schedule. If he was THE guy why was he splitting carries/snaps/ even starts with williams. Now throw in a 2nd round talented rb like AJ Dillon, nothing shows us that they are committes to him. Too risky. 

Now I agree about Miles Sanders. Phili rotates backs alot and Boston Scott was too good to not to get touches.

CEH is a top 8 pick too rich for me. Could end up being a rich mans Darwin Thompson.

CEH wouldn't be the first "RB1 lock" rookie to f--- a team over just outside the starting block.

Anyway, Jones started all 16 regular season games last season. Jones out-touched Williams 3-1 last season. What makes you think Williams isn't phased out? He didn't light the world on fire last year given opportunities.

Edited by Spyplane
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

CEH wouldn't be the first "RB1 lock" rookie to f--- a team over just outside the starting block.

Anyway, Jones started all 16 regular season games last season. Jones out-touched Williams 3-1 last season. What makes you think Williams isn't phased out? He didn't light the world on fire last year given opportunities.

go over to the Dillon thread ... that kid's gonna move piles and grind clock - Jones will be cut into just enough to diminish any value from where he's currently being drafted ... at best one may get a wash ... maybe. 

4 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

go over to the Dillon thread ... that kid's gonna move piles and grind clock - Jones will be cut into just enough to diminish any value from where he's currently being drafted ... at best one may get a wash ... maybe. 

The Packers are going to be playing ahead a lot this year then? Break that down for me. I don't need to go over to wishful thinking corner in the Dillon thread.

By the way, I'm not investing in Packers this year.

Just now, Spyplane said:

The Packers are going to be playing ahead a lot this year then? Break that down for me. I don't need to go over to wishful thinking corner in the Dillon thread.

But I think Jones is one of the few big play guys they have.

1 minute ago, Spyplane said:

SORRY, DIDN'T KNOW YOU HAD ALL THE FINAL SCORES ALREADY AT HAND! 🤷‍♂️

(itsaprotip - that team had other glaring needs, yet they invested on a mack truck in the 2nd round - he ain't there to wind his friggin' watch)

16 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

SORRY, DIDN'T KNOW YOU HAD ALL THE FINAL SCORES ALREADY AT HAND! 🤷‍♂️

(itsaprotip - that team had other glaring needs, yet they invested on a mack truck in the 2nd round - he ain't there to wind his friggin' watch)

I don't... But neither do you. I have no investment but based on how you're acting you clearly do. 🤣

1 minute ago, Spyplane said:

I don't... But neither do you. I have no investment but based on how you're acting you clearly do. 🤣

how i'm "acting"? 

that's adorable 🥰

stating that an absolute wrecking ball was bought in is now "acting"?

ftr, i like Jones' game ... but i will not touch him at current adp - i'd much rather spec the kid much later on. 

HTH

He said they intend to eat the clock with Dillon. I asked how that works with their mediocre defense. He rubs his caps lock like he's expecting a genie to come out of the keyboard. I comment on his clouded judgement. He comment on my stunning looks. That's a recap for anyone who's behind on the thread.

how do you keep your defense from constantly being on the field?

by ramming the other team with your running game ... but, yeah, your point(s) make a ton more sense. 

btw, this ain't vintage "Air ARod" & Mike Mc ... new regime, new offense - Dillon will get run, amigo. 

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
1 hour ago, Spyplane said:

Where are you getting the 3-1 out-touching Williams?

I see 285 for Jones and 146 for Williams.  That's not even 2-1.  And Williams missing a game. 

• Like 1

if it is a 3 way time share aaron jones falls to prob round 17 for 2020 for his end of season ranking. Jones owners need dillion to overtake jamaal or maybe jones owners can get lucky and they line up a jones as a slot wr on passing downs when jamaal is in the backfield.

A lot of silliness here. 

Williams got a lot of run last year. Dillon has a good chance to steal that work. Unless you think Dillon is going to take over as the starter, it isn't a problem for Jones. He will be fine even with a 60%-ish workload.

Adams getting hurt is a really weird argument against Jones. Sure, he might have gotten a few more targets with Adams out, but if he's healthy, the offense is so much better that it helps everyone.

Also, I brought up broken tackles because it's a reminder that Jones is one of the most talented backs in the NFL. 

Honestly, if not for workload, he'd be a top 3 RB for me. He's still a top half RB1, as is.

Edited by ajs723
20 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

A lot of silliness here. 

Williams got a lot of run last year. Dillon has a good chance to steal that work. Unless you think Dillon is going to take over as the starter, it isn't a problem for Jones. He will be fine even with a 60%-ish workload.

Adams getting hurt is a really weird argument against Jones. Sure, he might have gotten a few more targets with Adams out, but if he's healthy, the offense is so much better that it helps everyone.

Also, I brought up broken tackles because it's a reminder that Jones is one of the most talented backs in the NFL. 

Honestly, if not for workload, he'd be a top 3 RB for me. He's still a top half RB1, as is.

What "silliness"?

Jone's isn't going to score 19 TDs again?

Dillon looks like he's going to cut into some goalline work?

McCarthy likes to have a committee?

I don't think anyone is arguing about his talent.   It's obvious.

But it seems like McCarthy wants him fresh for the end of the season.   Like in weeks 15 and 16 and playoffs where Jones got 23, 25, and 21 carries.

And it's hard to argue with that plan because of the success the team had.   I don't know why he would want to change things up.  Now add in Dillon who I agree will take more work away from Williams than Jones.  But Williams is still there and isn't terrible.   I think all three get used and it will be frustrating to have taken Jones and having him as a must start as your RB1 or RB2.

And calling him a top 6 RB is pretty crazy imo.  Regardless of how he finished last season. 

Edited by K197040