NBC Sports Edge Forums

Noelvi Marte SS- SEA

Mine as well get this going, as he emerged last year and will become one of the biggest risers as 'prospect season' gets on us.

I feel like the CBS write up encapsulates his situation quite well:

"Noelvi Marte has top-five prospect upside, and this will be the last offseason to acquire him in dynasty leagues for a palatable price. He is on the Julio Rodriguez path -- a high-profile international signee ($1.55 million in 2018) who destroyed the Dominican Summer League (.309/.371/.511, nine HR, 17 SB in 65 games) and will be given an aggressive assignment for his stateside debut. He doesn't have as good of an approach as Rodriguez did at the same age, but Marte is a five-tool shortstop with at least 60-grade speed. He needs to work on using the whole field (23.4 Oppo%), but his 40.7 FB% is encouraging for a player who could develop 30-plus homer power. An 18-year-old who is already 6-foot-1, 181 pounds, Marte may have to move to third base, but his bat should profile anywhere. If he is as good as advertised, he should spend a good chunk of the year at Low-A, and if he hits there, his stock will explode."

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, BIG SKI said:

Checked all the boxes last year. Hit for power/drew walks/kept the K's in line/showed some speed. Not sure on his defense??

His defense appears to be largely a work in progress. It seems to be what is keeping him from pushing onto more standard industry lists. He is a bat first guy right now.

7 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Hopefully like the Marte before him (Ketel) in Seattle he gets dealt quickly before this s*** organization turns him into Jack Wilson.  

The way you are as an M's fan is the way I am regarding the Sacramento Kings lol

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A few Klaw notes from the Team Top20:

"He’s a plus runner with great bat speed and promising feel to hit for his age. He was still all projection when he signed, but he’s already started to fill out to the point where his power started to emerge last summer and he seems likely to move off of short, either to third base or to the outfield. His upside is up there with Rodriguez and Kelenic, but he also hasn’t faced good enough competition yet to prove he’s in their class."

"(Marte) is an obvious candidate to make a huge leap in 2020 is Marte, who has all the ingredients and just needs to perform in the U.S. the way he did in the DSL last summer."

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...

Sort of unreal to see him left off the Klaw and Pipeline top 100s from last week.

I would (obv) suspect the bat first profile is dragging him, but I still think this kid is gonna really good and a massive riser candidate as he gets acclimated in lower levels.

• Like 3
On 1/31/2021 at 3:28 PM, ST. STEVEN said:

Sort of unreal to see him left off the Klaw and Pipeline top 100s from last week.

I would (obv) suspect the bat first profile is dragging him, but I still think this kid is gonna really good and a massive riser candidate as he gets acclimated in lower levels.

I think your post almost a year ago sums up why; "he also hasn’t faced good enough competition yet to prove he’s in their class". I agree with you with Marte's skillset, he is going to be huge in fantasy. Eric Longenhagen has high praise on him; even though he currently has a 45+ FV, Longenhagen puts Marte on the same tier Zac Veen, his highest ranked prep amateur at the time when he wrote about Marte (March of last year).