Aaron Civale 2020 Outlook

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Currently sporting an NFBC ADP of 279, Civale is my favorite late round fantasy starting pitcher. I think a lot of people are going to bypass him in drafts pointing to the fact he wasn't a top 100 pro

Why?  He's a good pitcher.  It's his next to last start -- maybe even last -- in a short season.  It is crunch time.  Go all in or go home.

There's a little bit of playing time risk with Logan Allen in the mix, but Plesac is probably the odd man out there, and I do worry that this could be a "year too early" situation in redrafts consider

Great day - 6IP, 2ER, 9Ks and a QS against a tough White Sox lineup. Pretty stoked to see the career high in Ks but the White Sox are a very free swinging team of course. He displayed really good control throughout and placed that cutter on the outside edge to lefties all day. Nasty curve too. He’s legit.

2 minutes ago, craiggrebeck said:

Could have been one earned run but for a terrible misjudgment on a ball by the centerfielder. Looked great working his way out of a bases loaded, one out jam in the fourth too. 

Correct. His xfip for the day was 1.75. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fun article on my boy from Pitcher List. 

An excerpt from the article:

The improvements Civale has made currently place him seventh in all of baseball in CSW at 36.3%. Last year, he ranked 286th out of 328 pitchers who registered at least 50 innings, at 24.9%. He’s embracing the full scope of his arsenal while getting it over the plate more. His zone rate currently sits at 53.5%, about eight percent more than last year, which takes him from less than average to above it. We can’t just chalk up his hot start to him beating up on weak competition, either. He’s faced the Twins once and White Sox twice in his three outings. Both teams are among the best offenses in baseball.

Getting a win on the road is never an easy task.  

Pitching line was not good though.  Probably had an off day and still go the win.

[...]  He looks good. Next matchup is going to be tough, Minnesota.

Guy's fast ball is just great for sitting 92-93, he can command it so well and it has movement. Hopefully not being a flamethrower can keep him durable, but pitchers gonna pitcher.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
7 minutes ago, Rotofan24 said:

Just as predicted by pitchers list, this dude is a difference maker. 

Iirc, Nick was cool on his prospects (but jumped on the wagon quickly) while many of his staff were all in during they off-season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone starting him tomorrow vs the White Sox? Even though he hasn't been good 0-3   4.80ERA   1.47WHIP  the past month, he's gone at least 6 IP and no blow-ups. He's had two great starts vs CWS this year but I feel hesitation the first day of this Championship week.