Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Antonio Brown 2020 Outlook


K197040
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

 

So many mouths to feed.  Also they'd be dumb to not have him on a snap count for the first game or two.

 

I think it will be contingent on godwin's health. If brown knows the playbook and godwin can't go, I think they should unleash him. He seems to be in great shape and can only improve the offense. After watching the offensive struggles on Monday, they need him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Spyplane said:

Selling the dream to another team is not too late though.

 

This honestly isn't a bad idea.  I think AB has the name recognition that is over inflating what his actual role will be on TB.  I'm sure he'll be startable jus about every week (I'm not so sure about this first week back tho) but I don't think he's going to be top 5 - top 15 which people have been throwing around on here with great confidence. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Selling the dream to another team is not too late though.

I think you guys are forgetting how dynamic he is. I don’t think he will be a target hog like Hopkins and M Thomas. But he can easily be WR1 status. He needs to average about 15 points a game for WR1 status which is realistic IMO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

I think you guys are forgetting how dynamic he is. I don’t think he will be a target hog like Hopkins and M Thomas. But he can easily be WR1 status. He needs to average about 15 points a game for WR1 status which is realistic IMO. 

That's a big assumption to make of all of us based solely on a couple lines of text in here and plus, it doesn't deny the point I made. He never played on a team with the level of competition for catches. It's not to say he won't succeed, because I think he will succeed. However, definition of success looks different than the one he had on a Steelers team that enabled his "ME" attitude. Mike Evans has been an elite receiver in the league since day one and this year he's been asked to take a step back because of the abundance of talent. He's done that without argument. Antonio Brown is looking to prove he can be a good teammate and a valuable piece to a winning team. He has a lot of future money riding on this. Does his future value depend on proving his skills or proving that he can be a reasonable, polite and supportive person? Ponder that for a moment.

Edited by Spyplane
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FouLLine said:

 

This honestly isn't a bad idea.  I think AB has the name recognition that is over inflating what his actual role will be on TB.  I'm sure he'll be startable jus about every week (I'm not so sure about this first week back tho) but I don't think he's going to be top 5 - top 15 which people have been throwing around on here with great confidence. 

 

sure, but at the moment no one is  trading you a true top5-top15 WR for him, so why trade him for less?

 

as for Brown this week, the only question is if he is on the field enough

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Spyplane said:

That's a big assumption to make of all of us based solely on a couple lines of text in here and plus, it doesn't deny the point I made. He never played on a team with the level of competition for catches. It's not to say he won't succeed, because I think he will succeed. However, definition of success looks different than the one he had on a Steelers team that enabled his "ME" attitude. Mike Evans has been an elite receiver in the league since day one and this year he's been asked to take a step back because of the abundance of talent. He's done that without argument. Antonio Brown is looking to prove he can be a good teammate and a valuable piece to a winning team. He has a lot of future money riding on this. Does his future value depend on proving his skills or proving that he can be a reasonable, polite and supportive person? Ponder that for a moment.

 

this narrative of competition for targets is a little overblown.  there is really only 1 other WR he would competing with and that is Godwin.  Evans very talented but he has turned into a red zone target when Godwin is around.  he has already had multiple games where his only catch is a TD for 1 yard.  only when Godwin is out did they start to force feed the ball to him.  the remaining WRs are secondary options.  so it is basically the same situation as Brown/JuJu when he was in PIT.  on talent the WR corps is crowded but they aren't using Evans in between the 20s unless it has been necessary this year

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Panthor said:

 

this narrative of competition for targets is a little overblown.  there is really only 1 other WR he would competing with and that is Godwin.  Evans very talented but he has turned into a red zone target when Godwin is around.  he has already had multiple games where his only catch is a TD for 1 yard.  only when Godwin is out did they start to force feed the ball to him.  the remaining WRs are secondary options.  so it is basically the same situation as Brown/JuJu when he was in PIT.  on talent the WR corps is crowded but they aren't using Evans in between the 20s unless it has been necessary this year

You can't will it to happen. Ignore and downplay, I'm cool with it. Its your team.

Edited by Spyplane
typo
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reminder for those on the start/sit fence.  He doesn't need a lot of snaps to be productive. 

Also, Edelman, Dosette and Josh Gordon also played in that game.  Brady threw 20/28 for 248 yards and 2 TDs and they won 43-0.

 

On 11/3/2020 at 5:16 PM, MBarbarian said:

AB's one and only game with Brady and the Patriots: 20 snaps, 8 targets, 4 rec, 56 yds, 1 TD, 1 carry for 5 yds.

Touched the ball on almost 50% of his snaps.  Yeesh.

A new Antonio Brown era began Sunday in Miami, and the early results were encouraging for the New England Patriots.

Brown made his debut for the team and caught three passes for 36 yards from quarterback Tom Brady on the opening drive. The veteran wide receiver also drew a defensive holding penalty in the red zone that helped lead to a Sony Michel rushing touchdown on that first possession.

The 31-year-old later hauled in a 20-yard touchdown from Brady near the end of the first half. Brown was targeted four more times in the second half but he and Brady couldn’t connect on any of them. He finished with four receptions for 56 yards and a touchdown.

Overall, Brady’s stats with Brown on the field Sunday were pretty impressive. After all, the Pats earned a 43-0 win. Here’s a breakdown of the numbers, as compiled by Mark Daniels of the Providence Journal. 

 

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/patriots-qb-tom-bradys-stats-antonio-brown-field-week-2-were-impressive

 

 

Edited by MBarbarian
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Spyplane said:

The key difference between the small sample size of Brady & Brown in New England v. Brady & Brown in Tampa:

 

...Surrounding talent. The Bucs are stacked on offense. 

 

3 hours ago, FouLLine said:

 

So many mouths to feed.  Also they'd be dumb to not have him on a snap count for the first game or two.

Godwin apparently practicing but not catching balls, which seems to be an important part of playing WR.  He had surgery and had been given an original timeline of 4-6 weeks.  Now he's supposed to be catching fastballs from Brady?  I doubt that Godwin has a huge role this week.

I'm forced to start him because of byes and I don't want to drop anyone else of value.  So he's in for me no matter what.  I think if you have options and are skittish, then yes, it might be more prudent to see how he's used.  But I'm going in bareback and will hope to come out unscathed.  I think even if he's on the field only a limited amount, Brady will be looking for him.  He's staying at Brady's freaking house.  You don't think they're playing catch in the backyard while Giselle's getting dinner ready?  "Hey AB, run towards the tree, fake left towards the tire swing, and then break towards the fountain and the ball will be there."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, CooL said:

 

 He's staying at Brady's freaking house.  You don't think they're playing catch in the backyard while Giselle's getting dinner ready?  "Hey AB, run towards the tree, fake left towards the tire swing, and then break towards the fountain and the ball will be there."

 

 

I don't think Giselle is allowed in the house while AB is there, but the rest seems accurate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

You can't will it to happen. Ignore and downplay, I'm cool with it. Its your team.

 

i'm not "willing" anything to happen. it has played out on the field.  Evans has been crap for this most part this season when Godwin has played a full game.  he has been a red zone target, if he doesn't catch the TD, he would bust on all the weeks Godwin played.  and we all know TDs are a coin flip

 

wk3 - 4 targets 2 catches 2 yards 2 TDs

wk6 - 2 targets 1 catches 10 yards 0 TDs

wk7 - 2 targets 2 catches 37 yards 0 TDs

 

with what seems to be a reluctance to use Evans as anything more than a red zone  target when Godwin is on the field, the idea that its a 3 headed battle for targets simply isn't there.  it will be a battle between Godwin and Brown for targets when all 3 are on the field.  and with Brown fitting more into the areas of the field Brady likes to throw to, it would seem that Brown is the big beneficiary if Godwin misses time.  unless of course you want to argue that Mickens and Miller are going to be stealing targets from Brown?  all of this or course is contingent on Brown behaving himself and learning the playbook but  we have had no indications since he has joined the team that any of that will be a problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Panthor said:

 

i'm not "willing" anything to happen. it has played out on the field.  Evans has been crap for this most part this season when Godwin has played a full game.  he has been a red zone target, if he doesn't catch the TD, he would bust on all the weeks Godwin played.  and we all know TDs are a coin flip

 

wk3 - 4 targets 2 catches 2 yards 2 TDs

wk6 - 2 targets 1 catches 10 yards 0 TDs

wk7 - 2 targets 2 catches 37 yards 0 TDs

 

with what seems to be a reluctance to use Evans as anything more than a red zone  target when Godwin is on the field, the idea that its a 3 headed battle for targets simply isn't there.  it will be a battle between Godwin and Brown for targets when all 3 are on the field.  and with Brown fitting more into the areas of the field Brady likes to throw to, it would seem that Brown is the big beneficiary if Godwin misses time.  unless of course you want to argue that Mickens and Miller are going to be stealing targets from Brown?  all of this or course is contingent on Brown behaving himself and learning the playbook but  we have had no indications since he has joined the team that any of that will be a problem.

Brady has been putting him in school every day I'm sure.  He needs to finish his homework before bed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get ready for the AB train you guys.

 

Starting this week the Bucs offense is turning into the AB, Gronk, and Fournette show. Godwin and Evans will be involved but as 2nd and 3rd options. 

 

This is the league winning WR pickup a lot of us have been watching for. The James Robinson of fantasy WRs here. Dont sell for less than top 15 value. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, BarbaricEric said:

Get ready for the AB train you guys.

 

Starting this week the Bucs offense is turning into the AB, Gronk, and Fournette show. Godwin and Evans will be involved but as 2nd and 3rd options. 

 

This is the league winning WR pickup a lot of us have been watching for. The James Robinson of fantasy WRs here. Dont sell for less than top 15 value. 

Get ready to run into a brick wall on this take

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Spyplane said:

Can you post the article that proves AB now has hunger, integrity and gratitude? Thanks.

 

So many things wrong with this post.

First, who said he has any of these things? Either way, IMO, he's always been "hungry" to be the best WR.

Second, how could there be an article that proves these things? If there was an article, it would be someone's opinion so why would that be enough for you to pass along as fact? Too often do people read others opinions on the internet and pass along as fact.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ThreadKiller said:

 

So many things wrong with this post.

First, who said he has any of these things? Either way, IMO, he's always been "hungry" to be the best WR.

Second, how could there be an article that proves these things? If there was an article, it would be someone's opinion...More proof that so many read other people's opinions on the internet and then pass it along as fact.

 

Jeez man, it was a jokey post poking fun at the JRob post. I think you may have taken it a bit too seriously 😀.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

 

So many things wrong with this post.

First, who said he has any of these things? Either way, IMO, he's always been "hungry" to be the best WR.

Second, how could there be an article that proves these things? If there was an article, it would be someone's opinion so why would that be enough for you to pass along as fact? Too often do people read others opinions on the internet and pass along as fact.

Quite possibly because James Robinson embodies those three things and I was commenting directly on him being the "The James Robinson of fantasy WRs here"?

If those things were true there would certainly be an article covering those things because it would be a direct contrast to who he's been and many people would click. It would be proven by his comments, the comments of others working with him either on the record or off the record. Now that that's cleared: peace and good luck in week 9. 👍

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...