NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 Call-up Speculation / Discussion

Ryan Mountcastle and Bobby Dalbec should be up as soon as the team control goobley-gook stuff ends after the first week or so.

And I am NOT talking about 10 to 12 team leagues.  I'm talking deeper leagues with larger rosters.

Actually I'm talking about early call-ups period no mater the team or dynasty / keeper / redraft set-ups.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • tonycpsu changed the title to 2020 Call-up Speculation / Discussion

[Just to set expectations as we head toward the regular season: the dedicated "Call Up Watch" thread for each season is typically a thread that members often subscribe to notifications for so they can get info on confirmed and/or imminent call-ups.  This has created conflict in the past when some other folks want to use it for more speculative / free-flowing conversations.  We as a staff have generally tried to keep the amount of chatter and/or idle speculation to a minimum in favor of, at a minimum, well-sourced reports of a team getting ready to promote a player.

For now, I'm re-titling this "2020 Call-up Speculation / Discussion".  When we get closer to fantasy leagues opening, we can create a dedicated 2020 Call-up Watch thread with more strict expectations about confirmed and imminent call-up announcements.]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
2 hours ago, charger_ss24 said:

I’m keeping a close eye on Dylan Carlson.

Cardinals offseason has been very favorable for him so far. Arozarena and Martinez are two less guys to contend with, and they didn't bring back Ozuna. Their current projected starters are Bader and his .205 BA, O'Neill and his 35% K rate, and the ghost of Dexter Fowler.

Carlson played regularly in MLB spring training last year, so I think the Cardinals felt he was close to ready. I think he could win a job this spring or at least position himself for a quick callup.

46 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Cardinals offseason has been very favorable for him so far. Arozarena and Martinez are two less guys to contend with, and they didn't bring back Ozuna. Their current projected starters are Bader and his .205 BA, O'Neill and his 35% K rate, and the ghost of Dexter Fowler.

Carlson played regularly in MLB spring training last year, so I think the Cardinals felt he was close to ready. I think he could win a job this spring or at least position himself for a quick callup.

FYI, roster resource has Tommy Edman penciled in for LF instead of O'Neill (probably a platoon with LH Edman getting the lions share).

Not that any of their OFs should hold back Carlson if they deem him ready.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Deivi Garcia - Yanks (they were close to promoting him last year, so I would anticipate he will be up soon)

AJ Puk - A's (I'm assuming that Luzardo starts the year in the rotation.  I suspect that Puk needs some further seasoning, but if he hits the ground running the A's won't hesitate to bring him up)

Carter Kieboom - Nats (depending on whether or not he has a job out of ST, if he goes down, I would anticipate he would be one of the first guys called up if injury/performance dictate it)

Jazz Chisholm - Marlins (He might need more time in the minors, but a hot start coupled by an injury/performance, may trigger a call.  I don't think that would take place until the second half of the season though)

Spencer Howard - Phillies (Another to watch in ST.  If he does not make the rotation, he should be one of the first guys called up by the Phils)

9 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Deivi Garcia - Yanks (they were close to promoting him last year, so I would anticipate he will be up soon)

AJ Puk - A's (I'm assuming that Luzardo starts the year in the rotation.  I suspect that Puk needs some further seasoning, but if he hits the ground running the A's won't hesitate to bring him up)

Carter Kieboom - Nats (depending on whether or not he has a job out of ST, if he goes down, I would anticipate he would be one of the first guys called up if injury/performance dictate it)

Jazz Chisholm - Marlins (He might need more time in the minors, but a hot start coupled by an injury/performance, may trigger a call.  I don't think that would take place until the second half of the season though)

Spencer Howard - Phillies (Another to watch in ST.  If he does not make the rotation, he should be one of the first guys called up by the Phils)

Like this pick as well...Think he could be a really good pick-up

I like Jazz Chisholm's chances. First with Lewis Brinson flaming out on the Yelich trade. Then trading Gallen the guy they got for Ozuna for Chisholm. They may feel it is time to let the kid show they know something about baseball. Plus if Chisholm does great they will trade him before he gets expensive so dates don't really matter. I also think Puig signs with Miami. the market for outfielders is tepid right now and Miami does like Cubans. 

On 1/24/2020 at 2:11 PM, BigPapi44 said:

On 1/24/2020 at 11:48 PM, hockeyfan77 said:

Like this pick as well...Think he could be a really good pick-up

Puk is already planning to start the season in the A's rotation.

Edited by Members_Only_76
38 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Puk is already planning to start the season in the A's rotation.

My interpretation of the comments was that he will begin the season as a starter, not that he is a lock to make their starting rotation.  And if he doesn't make the team, he will go back down to AAA and pitch as a starter as opposed to being put in the A's bullpen.  

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

My interpretation of the comments was that he will begin the season as a starter, not that he is a lock to make their starting rotation.  And if he doesn't make the team, he will go back down to AAA and pitch as a starter as opposed to being put in the A's bullpen.  

not saying you're right or wrong with your interpretation, but i think you're in the minority. multiple outlets, including susan slusser of the sf chronicle, who's their beat writer, are reporting puk and luzardo are both opening day starters for the big league team.

image.png.a271b614e79dbdd7c8d8cd9e5bfdb2be.png

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/winter-meetings-notes-oakland-athletics-tampa-bay-rays-los-angeles-angels/c-312136458

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
LAD.png

(January 25, 2020 3:55 PM ET) May will enter spring training as a starter, Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports.

The 22-year-old has been a starter throughout his minor-league career, though he was used out of the bullpen in 10 of his 14 appearances in his debut season. He'll have a shot to win an Opening Day rotation spot this year after posting a 3.63 ERA and a 1.10 WHIP in 34.2 innings as a rookie, but given the Dodgers' tendency to avoid overworking their young arms, there's no guarantee he'll stay there all year.

Same thing being said about Dustin May.

On 1/29/2020 at 6:57 AM, osb_tensor said:

not saying you're right or wrong with your interpretation, but i think you're in the minority. multiple outlets, including susan slusser of the sf chronicle, who's their beat writer, are reporting puk and luzardo are both opening day starters for the big league team.

image.png.a271b614e79dbdd7c8d8cd9e5bfdb2be.png

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/winter-meetings-notes-oakland-athletics-tampa-bay-rays-los-angeles-angels/c-312136458

Be tough for him to crack the starting rotation as he has never pitched more than 125 innings in a season, and missed a year. Best bet is he is streched out goes to minors and them pull him after 5 innings to hold him down, then bring him up to work outta the pen

On 1/31/2020 at 7:23 PM, BIG SKI said:

Be tough for him to crack the starting rotation as he has never pitched more than 125 innings in a season, and missed a year. Best bet is he is streched out goes to minors and them pull him after 5 innings to hold him down, then bring him up to work outta the pen

Totally disagree with this. Luzardo & Puk will both be in Oakland's starting rotation on opening day. Their manager will get creative, and limit their innings. He will want both of them ready for the post season.

On 1/31/2020 at 7:23 PM, BIG SKI said:

Chris Paddock had never pitched more then 90 innings either and started opening day last year. They got 26 starts and 140 innings out of him. Puk pitched a lot less then last year. However, they can probably either ride a 6 man rotation or skip his rotation turn when needed.

Pitching on irregular rest out of the BP probably doesn't help him in a health sense. Why keep wasted bullets of a clearly talented arm in the minors when the team is trying to win.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • 2 weeks later...