NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ian Happ 2020 Outlook

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happ has too many holes, but you like Lewis as a real breakout? Even though Lewis had a higher K-rate in the minors and already has 8 Ks in 18 PAs this season? I don’t know how you can point out the h

If you can guarantee contact I can name a lot more players that are always super dangerous.

9 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

scorching hot spring.  hitting almost 500 with pop.  really think he could break out this year

Don't tell anybody...…………….

Rotoworld blurb yesterday:

Ian Happ went 2-for-4 with a double and three RBI as the Cubs routed the Giants in Cactus League play on Tuesday afternoon.

Happ -- who batted leadoff and started in center field for the Cubs in this one -- chipped in an RBI single during a five-run uprising off of Johnny Cueto in the second inning. He then added a two-run double in the third to run the Cubs' advantage to 8-0. He's having an other-worldly spring -- hitting .481 (13-for-27) with two homers and 11 RBI -- and appears to have secured the starting job in center field.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

scorching hot spring.  hitting almost 500 with pop.  really think he could break out this year

Don't read into the hot start, its Spring and a small sample.

Do read into the fact he should be able to win the starting CF job because of this.

6 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Don't read into the hot start, its Spring and a small sample.

Do read into the fact he should be able to win the starting CF job because of this.

but what if hes in the best shape of his life too!?!???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Magoo said:

Love him too but Almora, Kipnis, Souza and Bote still there.He’ll get tons of starts for sure but it’s not clear sailing...yet.

The only one of those I have concern about is Almora. 

• 1 month later...

I think there are worse dirt cheap sleeper options out there.  In a roto league, Happ could provide a lot of pop and a few steals. Plus, he's eligible at 2B.  I've gone to the well many times and gotten burned, but I do think he's got some potential this year.  I agree that losing Madden can help the crazy lineup situations. I added him in a league, but I'm still a bit gun shy about the deal.

• 2 months later...
35 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Season starts tomorrow...are we still feeling good with Happ? RR has him starting in LF and batting 7th. 

I was very intrigued w his March performance and it seemed like he was taking a turn toward every day player/ breakout type of season thru manager speak and writeups but the Cubs might still shuffling him in and out more than id like and narrative seems to have changed slightly..to scale Id go w a Howie Kendrick over him at 2B...but if he starts to rock n play daily, I will nab him...

1 hour ago, dfstout said:

I was very intrigued w his March performance and it seemed like he was taking a turn toward every day player/ breakout type of season thru manager speak and writeups but the Cubs might still shuffling him in and out more than id like and narrative seems to have changed slightly..to scale Id go w a Howie Kendrick over him at 2B...but if he starts to rock n play daily, I will nab him...

If you got him with 2B eligibility in your league I would consider that a blessing based on the potential he can provide there, I wouldn't wait too long to pick him up myself.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Season starts tomorrow...are we still feeling good with Happ? RR has him starting in LF and batting 7th. 

I'm intrigued by him. He's still young and when he plays, he produces. I know he has the upside so I think he's worth the shot. His OPS was .897 last year if I'm remembering correctly. Somewhere around there. That's worth a late round flyer on if the word is actually out that he's going to be an every day guy.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

Isn’t he batting in the 7 or 8 hole?  In the past few spring games?

That can change.

4 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Only three games in, of course, but it's encouraging to see that he's HR'd twice in those three games. 

40 homer pace lol

No It's Happening GIFS yet???

On 3/11/2020 at 1:40 PM, jfazz23 said:

[...] just wondering if any cubs fans know if he has a chance to be bumped up in the lineup?

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

I think they like him at 9 because he can set the table for KB and Rizzo, but if Heyward continues to be awful I wouldn't be surprised if they move him to 9 in an attempt to jump start him on a steady diet of fastballs.