NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kareem Hunt 2020 Outlook

K197040

4 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Yeah, with the 2nd round tender he’s not going anywhere. As an owner in a keeper league, I hate it, but it appears he’s stuck behind Chubb and will need an injury to get significant playing time. 

Eh - he’s still plenty valuable, particularly in PPR, with all of the two-RB sets they’ll be running under Stefanski.

• 1 month later...

I’m very curious to see what/if anything happens with Kareem Hunt this week. I think now that he has signed his 1 year 3.25 mil deal that might make him an attractive target. I honestly think it’s still far more likely that nothing happens and he sticks with the Browns this season.. especially because Stefanski can make sense of keeping and heavily using two guys. But I think Andrew Berry is aggressive and not scared to move Hunt or OBJ if it makes sense. Hunt will be  available and depending how things shake out a team could be enticed to make a move for him. 

It will be difficult because I’m sure the asking price straight up would be a 2nd (they place the 2nd round tender on him) or possibly a 3rd type. Difficulty about trading even a 3 for him would be it’s possible a team could just draft a guy like Zach Moss then, have none of the off field BS and not have him be a FA at seasons end. But I still think it’s obvious Hunt is a very good good talent.. and would be a top 3 back in this class imo. 

The Browns could use him as a piece to move up the draft board at some point or a team could not like how the draft shook out and they make a move for Kareem. Even though I put the odds at like a 20% if I’m guessing. Still, whatever the scenario is.. I will be hoping and wishing (as a dynasty owner) that he is on the move. 

16 hours ago, sSektor said:

Detroit or Tampa would be interesting landing spots.

It’s looking like Tampa is going all in this season, I think he’d be a perfect fit in that offense and a much better pass protector than RJ. I’d find it very difficult to believe that the bucs will be happy with Jones and a rookie picking up blitzes for their 40+ yr old qb. A 3rd round pick would be a small price to pay, especially if your going all in this year. They just gave up a 4th rd for Gronkowski who they probably won’t get more than a year out of.Ifeel like the Rb is a much more important piece than a TE right now

Edited by BRIGUY11
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BRIGUY11 said:

It’s looking like Tampa is going all in this season, I think he’d be a perfect fit in that offense and a much better pass protector than RJ. I’d find it very difficult to believe that the bucs will be happy with Jones and a rookie picking up blitzes for their 40+ yr old qb. A 3rd round pick would be a small price to pay, especially if your going all in this year. They just gave up a 4th rd for Gronkowski who they probably won’t get more than a year out of.Ifeel like the Rb is a much more important piece than a TE right now

I doubt any team would beat Tampa if he goes there. Wow, if you are a Tampa fan right now you have to be excited. 

16 hours ago, BRIGUY11 said:

CEH is going to be the guy in Tampa.

2 hours ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

CEH is going to be the guy in Tampa.

Yeah everyone and their mom is mocking him to Tampa. He would be a good fit. But there is a lot of guys that would currently fit in that offense. Arians made DJ a superstar and Tom obviously loves feeding the RB too.

Draft is done and Hunt still shares the backfield with Chubb. Thoughts?  I like each guy if they were on their own in a backfield.  As it stands right now, I see Chubb as a low RB1 or High RB2, and Hunt falling in the mid-range RB2.  Chubb probably gives you a safer floor in full PPR.  

26 minutes ago, Fort4242 said:

Draft is done and Hunt still shares the backfield with Chubb. Thoughts?  I like each guy if they were on their own in a backfield.  As it stands right now, I see Chubb as a low RB1 or High RB2, and Hunt falling in the mid-range RB2.  Chubb probably gives you a safer floor in full PPR.  

No way Chubb is a low RB1 or High RB2 with Hunt there.  I give Chubb a mid-grade RB2 and give Hunt a low to mid grade with a safer floor in full ppr.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theSPANKER said:

No way Chubb is a low RB1 or High RB2 with Hunt there.  I give Chubb a mid-grade RB2 and give Hunt a low to mid grade with a safer floor in full ppr.

I don’t know that give Hunt a mid-RB2 grade. I’d be thinking more low-RB2 with inconsistent production. 

3 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I don’t know that give Hunt a mid-RB2 grade. I’d be thinking more low-RB2 with inconsistent production. 

Yes, I said low to mid level.  My mid level is his ceiling if everything breaks right for him.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hunt has stand alone value as a decent flex and top 5 upside if Chubb goes down.

The problem is that isn’t worth a 6th or 7th round price tag when you still got RBs in that area that have legit chances to start based on talent. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I just read an article about Hunt potentially getting a shot as a receiver, too.

from here

(some tweets that summerize it really nicely)

Currently I'm looking at Hunt in my upcoming dynasty startup draft in the early 5th round. For comparison here are the next 3 RBs after him (#67): Bell (#72), Conner (#75) and Carson (#76).

I kind of like Hunt's upside. An injury to Chubb would make him one of the best RBs in fantasy with his ability to run and receive. While his value with Chubb on the field being of corse much less, I still see him having stand alone value with his receiving ability. Maybe a low end RB2, maybe just an RB3, but his opporturnity is tempting to me.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 2:33 PM, Gohawks said:

Hunt has stand alone value as a decent flex and top 5 upside if Chubb goes down.

The problem is that isn’t worth a 6th or 7th round price tag when you still got RBs in that area that have legit chances to start based on talent. 

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings/half-point-ppr-rb-cheatsheets.php

If we're only talking RBs, that only guy Im taking over Hunt for sure in that range is Akers and maybe White. Swift and Vaughn are toss ups. 

On 3/18/2020 at 3:24 PM, BMcP said:

Eh - he’s still plenty valuable, particularly in PPR, with all of the two-RB sets they’ll be running under Stefanski.

I agree. Reports coming out that hunt could be running out of the slot some more this year.

With the shortened off-season and the talent of hunt I would think a goal would be to keep him on the field whether it be 2 back sets, running him out of the slot or giving Chubb a breather. It only hurts the browns to keep hunt on the sidelines when he draws defenses attention the way he does. 

5 hours ago, thebadferret said:

I just read an article about Hunt potentially getting a shot as a receiver, too.

from here

(some tweets that summerize it really nicely)

Currently I'm looking at Hunt in my upcoming dynasty startup draft in the early 5th round. For comparison here are the next 3 RBs after him (#67): Bell (#72), Conner (#75) and Carson (#76).

I kind of like Hunt's upside. An injury to Chubb would make him one of the best RBs in fantasy with his ability to run and receive. While his value with Chubb on the field being of corse much less, I still see him having stand alone value with his receiving ability. Maybe a low end RB2, maybe just an RB3, but his opporturnity is tempting to me.

There is a serious chance he gets traded if the browns don't look like a playoff team too. He is an UFA after this season so would the browns let him walk for nothing?

In the meantime the browns have upgraded the OLine big time and RT jack Conklin is a pro bowler and dominant rub blocker. The Cleveland RBs are gonna have room to run this year, a lot. Combine that with the fact that Hunt is the far superior pass catcher and route runner and the situation is shaping up very similar to how Mark Ingram and Alvin Kamara did it in NO when they both rushed for 1,000 yards.

Hunt is capable of catching 80 passes an was on Pace for 88 targets in his 8 games last year and now the talk is of more slot reps too? The dynasty arrow is pointing up for Hunt. 

Hunt is just too good not to have on the field in some capacity. You could realistically expect 15+ carries a game for Chubb with maybe a single reception or 2.

Hunt could realistically see 8-12 carries a game with 5-8 receiving targets. In PPR that's high RB2 #s

To me that's somewhere between 40-80 rushing yards and 40-60 receiving yards with 4-8 receptions per game with a good chance of a weekly TD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Hunt could realistically see 8-12 carries a game with 5-8 receiving targets. In PPR that's high RB2 #s

That’s way too generous , 4-10 carries is more likely. 

32 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

2-3 carries per half? I'd think he would get that in a 2 minute drive before halftime. 

You got it, or it could be 4 carries at the half... & 3 in second. Or 1 and 3 in 2nd half. Who knows brodie, hence my estimate of anywhere from 4-10 carries. 

8-12 carries is not realistic, it’s wishful thinking. 

Look at his gamelog from last year , not once did he have double digit carries, 9 was the most. 

His total carries per game from 2019:

4 , 6 , 8 , 7 , 9 , 4 , 2 , 3 

And 2 minute drive he’s catching passes not pounding the rock. Bad example 😉

Edited by RunCMC

21 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

You got it, or it could be 4 carries at the half... & 3 in second. Or 1 and 3 in 2nd half. Who knows brodie, hence my estimate of anywhere from 4-10 carries. 

8-12 carries is not realistic, it’s wishful thinking. 

Look at his gamelog from last year , not once did he have double digit carries, 9 was the most. 

His total carries per game from 2019:

4 , 6 , 8 , 7 , 9 , 4 , 2 , 3 

And 2 minute drive he’s catching passes not pounding the rock. Bad example 😉

I was thinking a bigger share of the rushing load to be honest. Hunt is a very good RB and you don't want to over work Chubb.

Those were his touches last year coming off suspension. To you think his useage increases from last year? Decreases? Or stays exactly the same?

30 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I was thinking a bigger share of the rushing load to be honest. Hunt is a very good RB and you don't want to over work Chubb.

Those were his touches last year coming off suspension. To you think his useage increases from last year? Decreases? Or stays exactly the same?

Im definitely with you, I think it increases .. just not to that extent . Cleveland offense should be a much better unit this upcoming season. So do they just pound the rock with Chubb when they're up with the lead , maybe Hunt gets more carries later in the 3/4Q to keep Chubb fresh . Or do we want the Browns trailing , so Kareem goes ballistic in the reception department. I'm excited to see what happens 

He's a great pick , I'm trying to buy shares wherever I can (at reasonable draft capital)

Great stand alone PPR value , with league winning upside if anything happens to Chubb. It really doesn't get any better than that 

• Like 3