NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kareem Hunt 2020 Outlook

It's pretty simple. If you drafted Hunt, you think this will be closer to a 50-50 or 60-40 timeshare, in which case Hunt is likely a RB2. Quote below is from Matthew Berry about the risk of drafting Chubb, but what he says about Hunt is what I believe---hes just too talented to not make this a timeshare. That's my opinion. I could see the argument for a WR instead of a RB in round 5 or 6 after the top 20RB, but that also depends on other factors such as team construction, where you are drafting, etc. 

The argument for Chubb is he's a very talented back and Cleveland should be a much better offense this year with an improved offensive line. I mean, under Kevin Stefanski last year, Dalvin Cook led the NFL in goal-to-go carries. The concern is ... he was just RB23 on a PPG basis once Kareem Hunt showed up last year, and that was with Hunt averaging just 5.4 carries a game. I'm pretty sure Stefanski isn't going to show up and say "You know what this offense needs? LESS Kareem Hunt." Add in some positive regression for Odell Beckham Jr. in the touchdown department and I'm a little nervous in full PPR leagues.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He is who we thought he was.   A former NFL rushing champion and the best RB on his football team.

The Browns are still the same team that scored 6 points in week 1. They don't get to play the Bengals (missing both Geno Atkins and Mike Daniels) every week and there will be far fewer TDs to go aroun

Lmao   I'd never give up on Khunt not for some piece of sausage like JJS.   I'd just keep pounding Khunt till they couldnt take it anymore.

Posted Images

Hunt avg'd 10 touches last year and outscored Chubb in that span in ppr. With an improved oline and now run heavy scheme 5 more wouldn't be as crazy as you're making it seem. Hunt is universally ranked in the 5th round, you're the minority here

Edited by scheibler
  • Like 1

Did any Chubb owners draft Hunt in middle rounds? Would you do it theoretically? 

You can POSSIBLY get a player who averages more points week to week, but I wonder if it's worth the insurance to draft Hunt instead if you're a Chubb owner. Obviously it's predicated on Hunt being there around round 5 or 6 in a 12 team league, which isn't a guarantee.

On 9/4/2020 at 3:23 PM, GriffeySwag said:

10 ppg in half point ppr. If you're cool spending a 4th/5th on that, more power to you.

I believe he’ll top that this year based on the staff’s desire to put him on the field with Chubb and split him out some as a WR. And there’s no need for the snark. I wasn’t snarky with you. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, young dude said:

Did any Chubb owners draft Hunt in middle rounds? Would you do it theoretically? 

You can POSSIBLY get a player who averages more points week to week, but I wonder if it's worth the insurance to draft Hunt instead if you're a Chubb owner. Obviously it's predicated on Hunt being there around round 5 or 6 in a 12 team league, which isn't a guarantee.

I just completed a 12 team draft. Took Chubb in the 2nd and Hunt in the 6th. I wasn’t planning on doing that I just couldn’t pass up the value. Hunt has the receiving chops and you probably could start both guys on some weeks. 

I took Hunt in the 6th round in a 10-team draft today too.  I did not draft Chubb, but this is a PPR where Hunt outscored Chubb most weeks last season and I think he can do it again if he receives a majority of the passing work.  Both have value, I'd just rather spend a 6th round pick than a 2nd rounder for that production and should Chubb miss time look out....

Hunt stood out to me as value even in the late 5th. I took him at 48 with Melvin Gordon still on the board. 

I think he could be a solid flex even with Chubb healthy, and if Chubb tweaks something, he's a locked in RB2 imo. 

Excited about Hunt moving forward, let's goooOO!!

On 9/4/2020 at 5:36 PM, gbill2004 said:

They'd have to be retarded not to get a talent like Hunt involved. Based on your comments here I don't think you've ever actually seen Hunt play. 

I enjoy your takes and commentary, but you need to address your word choice. 

• Haha 1

Chubb was my first pick last year.   A guy in my league picked Hunt up in one of the last rounds... with ppr Hunt was a steal at that value.   I watched so many series where Chubb was pulled and Hunt continued to reel in pass after pass.   I grabbed Hunt in the 7th round this year and will not look back.  

• Like 3

Think this bodes very well for Hunt’s value even when Chubb is still healthy. Hunt may be in line for more every down work than we may have thought as you don’t pay a second string RB this type of money in 2020 unless you are committed to using him as more than a pass catcher and switch up to your main guy. 

Very interested to see the sharing of the load between Hunt and Chubb now. 

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, next big thing cp84 said:

Think this bodes very well for Hunt’s value even when Chubb is still healthy. Hunt may be in line for more every down work than we may have thought as you don’t pay a second string RB this type of money in 2020 unless you are committed to using him as more than a pass catcher and switch up to your main guy. 

I think they'll see the field together quite a bit

24 minutes ago, next big thing cp84 said:

Sounds like it's going to be the same as last year- I agree that it's a steal in round 5 for this guy. $15 in my auction for him :)  

• Thanks 1

As a Browns fan, I'm pleasantly surprised with the extension. Hunt is a stud RB and would start on most other teams. I thought for sure Hunt would bolt after this year for a starting job somewhere else. I think Hunt could have received a bigger offer from another RB needy team after this year if he played well and stayed out of trouble, he's only 25.

As for fantasy, it will be interesting. The running game worked extremely well last, but with OBJ, Landry, Hooper - it's hard to think they won't air it out more (maybe only a little more though). The Browns are weak at WR3, Rashad Higgins is a jag. I could see Hunt lining up in the slot a lot more this year. 

11 minutes ago, MurderInc said:

As a Browns fan, I'm pleasantly surprised with the extension. Hunt is a stud RB and would start on most other teams. I thought for sure Hunt would bolt after this year for a starting job somewhere else. I think Hunt could have received a bigger offer from another RB needy team after this year if he played well and stayed out of trouble, he's only 25.

As for fantasy, it will be interesting. The running game worked extremely well last, but with OBJ, Landry, Hooper - it's hard to think they won't air it out more (maybe only a little more though). The Browns are weak at WR3, Rashad Higgins is a jag. I could see Hunt lining up in the slot a lot more this year. 

See bolded.... have you seen Baker Mayfield play football before??

59 minutes ago, Singing in Dwayne said:

Sucks for my dynasty team with Hunt on it. :(

Good news for redraft owners though. Bad news for Chubb owners in both formats.

Definitely hurts Chubb and Hunt in dynasty but I dont think this changes anything for redraft. Everyone knew going into this season that they would both get work.

22 minutes ago, MurderInc said:

From Hunt's perspective, next year isn't guaranteed, nor is a full season. He already got released by a team on his rookie contract, and was super fortunate to even get another shot with another team. He's played well, and I'm sure he knows that he is a good talent, but there are risks with signing him. This is a happy medium for him- he gets life-changing money and set for life most likely, without having to risk injury or getting nothing. I can understand why he took the deal- it's good for both parties. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

From Hunt's perspective, next year isn't guaranteed, nor is a full season. He already got released by a team on his rookie contract, and was super fortunate to even get another shot with another team. He's played well, and I'm sure he knows that he is a good talent, but there are risks with signing him. This is a happy medium for him- he gets life-changing money and set for life most likely, without having to risk injury or getting nothing. I can understand why he took the deal- it's good for both parties. 

Fournette owners should read this too. 🤣

32 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

Definitely hurts Chubb and Hunt in dynasty but I dont think this changes anything for redraft. Everyone knew going into this season that they would both get work.

Yes, but it confirms heavy usage out of Hunt. Definitely a slight bump IMO.