NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 MLB division winners

Hey all,

I realize there are still FA's available. Everybody is slowly preparing for their 2020 fantasy drafts and looking towards player out looks as well as team out looks.

Based on how everything has shaped up so far, how does everybody feel about predicting 2020 MLB division winners?

Let me start.

AL East - NY Yankees
AL Central - Chi White Sox (although Minnesota is scary - depending on how Donaldson performs IMO)
AL West - Oakland Athletics (i personally think the Astros are going to get beat up over the year. Pitches inside. Hard slides into 2nd. It isnt going to be an easy year for the Stros)

NL East - Atl Braves (This is probably the toughest division in baseball to predict)
NL Central - Cincy Reds (Likely a trendy pick - i dont see anybody in this division having improved much - Cards included)
NL West - LA Dodgers

AL East: Yanks

AL Central: Cleveland 

AL West: Houston

NL East: Washington 

NL Central: Cincy

NL West: Dodgers

World Series Winner: Tampa. Fun fact: at this time last year I put a decent wager on Washington to win it all. I put a similar wager on Tampa yesterday and hope to make it 2 in a row.

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

AL Central: Cleveland 

AL West: Houston

NL East: Washington 

NL Central: Cincy

World Series Winner: Tampa. Fun fact: at this time last year I put a decent wager on Washington to win it all. I put a similar wager on Tampa yesterday and hope to make it 2 in a row.

I actually find some of your selections really interesting.

Care to expand on your Cleveland prediction? When considering Minnesota has improved their roster with the addition of Donaldson, and the White Sox have had a dramatic improvement in comparison to last year?

Cleveland has gotten rid of Kluber, which may not be a big deal considering they still have a solid rotation. Their lack of offence and potential departure of Lindor do scare me, though. Nothing about this Cleveland team inspires me.

Houston? Is this based strictly on talent? do you believe they will be proving a point this year and have the talent to do so? The media circus that will be cast upon them through out the whole year has no influence on your decision?

That NL East is such a hard division to predict. Any team not named Miami has just as good of a chance to win it all.

Cincy.. this is going to be a trendy selection lol.

41 minutes ago, jonninho said:

I actually find some of your selections really interesting.

Care to expand on your Cleveland prediction? When considering Minnesota has improved their roster with the addition of Donaldson, and the White Sox have had a dramatic improvement in comparison to last year?

Cleveland has gotten rid of Kluber, which may not be a big deal considering they still have a solid rotation. Their lack of offence and potential departure of Lindor do scare me, though. Nothing about this Cleveland team inspires me.

Houston? Is this based strictly on talent? do you believe they will be proving a point this year and have the talent to do so? The media circus that will be cast upon them through out the whole year has no influence on your decision?

That NL East is such a hard division to predict. Any team not named Miami has just as good of a chance to win it all.

Cincy.. this is going to be a trendy selection lol.

I think the AL Central should be a fun battle, but I like Cleveland to come out ahead. Their starting rotation is one of the best in baseball with Clev, Bieber, Carrasco, Civale, and Plesac/Plutko. Their bullpen should be much improved. Their infield is really solid with JRam, Lindor, Hernandez (meh), and Santana. Perez had a really nice season last year, especially defensively. Their outfield is still really bad but it wouldn’t surprise me if they resigned Puig on a one year prove it deal. As it stands they have some guys that they can platoon and at least be decent.

The White Sox should be much better but I don’t think their pitching is quite there yet. I think the Twins will be there to the end, but I’ll choose the team with better pitching and defense.

The Astros are still loaded, even without Gerrit Cole and their trash can. They’ll have a full season out of Yordan, Tucker, and Greinke which should ease the sting out of losing Cole. I’m also a big Urquidy fan and I think he’ll be solid. I like the A’s, too, but the Astros should come out ahead. The Angels should also be in the mix.

AL East:  Yankees (Tampa Bay will make it interesting though)

AL Central:  Minnesota (think White Sox are too young and inexperienced for this season but they will be fun)

AL West:  Houston (they need to "prove" themselves and will be highly motivated)

NL East:  Atlanta ... or three other teams.

NL Central:  Don't know.  Cincy has improved the most but other teams have been there before.  Oh what the hell.  Go, Reds.

NL West:  Dodgers (though Arizona will make it closer than in past seasons)

• Like 1

AL Central: Twins

AL West: A's

Wild Card: Tampa and Houston

Can see Cleveland being up there real close to Houston for the 2nd spot. I would love to see my Angels get in there but unless their pitching stays healthy and exceeds expectations, they won't make it. Their offense should be fun though.

NL East: Atlanta

NL Central: Chicago

NL West: LA

Wild Card: Philly and Arizona

Washington misses the playoffs. San Diego is in the hunt but misses as well. NL Central seems like it will be the NFC East to me. No one really looks like they want to win that division. The Reds are the trendy pick but they don't seem clearly above the rest to me. Just seems like a really bad division that will be the worst in baseball (AL Central has 2 bad teams, 1 so-so team, 2 good teams).

AL Playoffs:

Tampa over Houston

Tampa over NY

A's over Twins

Tampa over A's

NL Playoffs:

Philly over AZ

ATL over Philly

LA over Chicago

ATL over LA

World Series:

Tampa over Atlanta

Maybe it's just me but the NL seems pretty weak this year. Don't take these picks too seriously, I came up with them just a minute ago and haven't done much research yet! Figured I'd contribute to the thread just for fun.

43 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I think the AL Central should be a fun battle, but I like Cleveland to come out ahead. Their starting rotation is one of the best in baseball with Clev, Bieber, Carrasco, Civale, and Plesac/Plutko. Their bullpen should be much improved. Their infield is really solid with JRam, Lindor, Hernandez (meh), and Santana. Perez had a really nice season last year, especially defensively. Their outfield is still really bad but it wouldn’t surprise me if they resigned Puig on a one year prove it deal. As it stands they have some guys that they can platoon and at least be decent.

The White Sox should be much better but I don’t think their pitching is quite there yet. I think the Twins will be there to the end, but I’ll choose the team with better pitching and defense.

The Astros are still loaded, even without Gerrit Cole and their trash can. They’ll have a full season out of Yordan, Tucker, and Greinke which should ease the sting out of losing Cole. I’m also a big Urquidy fan and I think he’ll be solid. I like the A’s, too, but the Astros should come out ahead. The Angels should also be in the mix.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I appreciate your response. I have to politely disagree with Cleveland, though. This is essentially the same team as last year and have not made any real improvements to this point in the off-season. Minnesota will be returning with their elite offence and will have the addition of Josh Donaldson to better that offence. I do have some slight concerns with JD if i am being honest, though. As a Jays fan, i got to see him first hand, and while super talented, he has always come off as someone who was seeking that pay day. He finally got it. In other words, i do have doubts he plays to the same standards he did last season, and may sit more frequently if 'not healthy'.. 

Regarding the White Sox.. i think their pitching is pretty solid.  Giolito, Gio Gonzalez, Keuchel, Lopez, Rondon (when healthy), Cease (who was respectable).. They have options.. none of which are 'garbage' pitchers. Infact, there is still quite a bit of room for guys like Reynaldo, Rondon and Cease to improve.

Totally get your point about the Astros. I just dont envision them making it through the season healthy. As mentioned, i truly do believe teams will be out gunning for their heads.

28 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

AL Central: Twins

AL West: A's

Wild Card: Tampa and Houston

Can see Cleveland being up there real close to Houston for the 2nd spot. I would love to see my Angels get in there but unless their pitching stays healthy and exceeds expectations, they won't make it. Their offense should be fun though.

NL East: Atlanta

NL West: LA

Wild Card: Philly and Arizona

Washington misses the playoffs. San Diego is in the hunt but misses as well. NL Central seems like it will be the NFC East to me. No one really looks like they want to win that division. The Reds are the trendy pick but they don't seem clearly above the rest to me. Just seems like a really bad division that will be the worst in baseball (AL Central has 2 bad teams, 1 so-so team, 2 good teams).

AL Playoffs:

Tampa over Houston

Tampa over NY

A's over Twins

Tampa over A's

NL Playoffs:

Philly over AZ

ATL over Philly

LA over Chicago

ATL over LA

World Series:

Tampa over Atlanta

Maybe it's just me but the NL seems pretty weak this year. Don't take these picks too seriously, I came up with them just a minute ago and haven't done much research yet! Figured I'd contribute to the thread just for fun.

I find your Cubs pick very interesting. Any interest in expanding on your thought process? I think Cincy has made the most improvements within the division. Cubs will be playing the year with a new manager, Some new faces, and a super stars whos future will be hanging in limbo through out the year (Bryant).. While the Cards havent made any real improvements, even they have been some moves where as the Cubs are the same team who finished 3rd in the division last year (7.0 games back)

AL East: Yankees

AL Central: Indians

Al West: Astros

ALW1: Rays

ALW2: A's

NL East: Braves

WC1: Cardinals

WC2: Mets

Playoffs:

Yankees v Rays: YANKEES win

Astros v Rays: ASTROS win

Yankees v Astros: YANKEES win

Dodgers v Mets: DODGERS win

Braves v Cubs: BRAVES win

Braves v Dodgers: DODGERS win

Yankees v Dodgers: YANKEES win

35 minutes ago, jonninho said:

I find your Cubs pick very interesting. Any interest in expanding on your thought process? I think Cincy has made the most improvements within the division. Cubs will be playing the year with a new manager, Some new faces, and a super stars whos future will be hanging in limbo through out the year (Bryant).. While the Cards havent made any real improvements, even they have been some moves where as the Cubs are the same team who finished 3rd in the division last year (7.0 games back)

If my memory serves me correctly, the Cubs were in the race until the 2nd week of September and lead the division a significant amount of time last season. They fell flat on their face the last few weeks of the year and I wouldn't expect them to do that again if they were in the same situation. Maddon is a good manager but he ran his course in Chicago. He coached those guys when they were kids and now they are grown men who've accomplished a lot in the bigs. He never adjusted and it was time for a change. Now they have their old friend, Ross, as the manager, a guy who's played with some of these players, knows how to win, and knows how to manage egos. That alone should result in better morale and an increase in wins. They actually have a lot of talent still. That division just doesn't look good to me and I don't think it would be crazy for them to win the division. Still have Javy, Bryant, Rizzo, Schwarber, Contreras, etc. in that lineup. Still have Yu as your number 1 and you hope you get a bounce back from Hendricks and Quintana. I'm not saying they win the World Series or even win 95 games but I see that division beating up on each other and I see it being a dogfight to the end. Could have as many as 4 teams in that race. I feel the Cubs come out on top.

AL WEST - Not the Mariners.  I’ll go with Angels

AL CENTRAL - Twins

AL EAST - YANKEES

WC - Rays/HOUSTON 

NL WEST - Diamondbacks 

NL CENTRAL - Reds

NL EAST - PHILLIES 

WC - Braves/Dodgers 

now lets have fun....who’s the biggest LOSERS in mlb.  Aka who will be last?

AL WEST - MARINERS 

AL CENTRAL - TIGERS

AL EAST - ORIOLES

WC NEXT BIGGEST BUMS: ROYALS/TORONTO

NL WEST - GIANTS

NL CENTRAL - PIRATES

NL EAST - MARLINS

WC NEXT BIGGEST BUMS: ROCKIES BREWERS

AL East: Yankees Just too much talent

AL Central: Twins- Cleveland will have a high floor with that rotation, but not enough offensive depth. White Sox need absolutely everything to go right for them to really contend for the division this year

AL West: Astros- Scandal this offseason has overshadowed how much talent they'll still have

NL East: Braves

NL Central: Cardinals- Interesting division, but Brewers seem like they have too many holes, I don't trust the Reds yet, and I don't know what the Cubs problem is but I'm iffy on them at this point

NL West: Dodgers- Likely easiest prediction

I have taken a couple things from the posts so far:

1. A lot of people like the Rays to win the division. I personally dont understand why?

They have added Renfroe, J.Martinez and Tsutsugo...

Tampa will also be hoping to have full seasons from the likes of Snell, Glasnow and possibly McKay.

I understand why there is optimism for this team in 2020, but, they also gave away arguably their best player in Pham for a homer or bust type player in Renfroe.

So, while the Rays will be bringing in a handful of new players, and hoping their injury plagued members of the roster remain healthy and are considered new additions.. the Yankees will also be in the same boat.

The Yankees will be adding Gerrit Cole to an already solid rotation..

Yankees, like the Rays have dealt with some injuries last season too and expect the likes of Andujar, Sanchez, Stanton, Judge, etc. to have full healthy campaigns.

I personally think we forget what the Yankees did last year with all the injuries they were dealing with. They still won the division, and i can only imagine that with a full healthy roster + Gerrit Cole that this team will be even more dangerous. I mean. there is something to be said in the fact they are also -320 to win the AL East, as well.

2. The reds, as i said, will be a super trendy pick. lol.

Edited by jonninho

Heres my predicted order of finish:

AL East: Yankees, Rays, Sox, Jays, O's

AL Central: Twins (as much as I'd love to say W Sox, I can't yet), Indians, Sox, Tigers, Royals 

AL West: Astros, Oakland, Angels, Rangers, Mariners 

NL East: Braves, Nats, Phils, Mets, Fish

NL Central: Reds (low confidence, but fun...would be 4th different division winner in 4 years), Cubs, Cards, Brewers, Pirates

NL West: Dodgers, Snakes, Padres, Rockies, Giants. 

NL Central is pretty crazy. I could see 6 games separating 1st and 4th

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

AL Central: Twins (as much as I'd love to say W Sox, I can't yet), Indians, Sox, Tigers, Royals 

NL Central: Reds (low confidence, but fun...would be 4th different division winner in 4 years), Cubs, Cards, Brewers, Pirates

lol, everybody is on the Reds bandwagon. Its going to suck when come seasons end the Pirates end up as division winners.

3 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I like these picks. I had Oakland swapped out with the As, and the Reds swapped out with the Cubs, but overall, you order of finish is pretty much what I have as well. 

AL East: NYY (I've always had a soft spot for Tampa, but this Yankees team is more stacked than the previous few seasons. Another plague of injuries could open the door for TB, though)

AL Central: CLE (This isn't a homer pick because I am largely down on the Tribe's offseason, but the rotation is still amazing and they're just a few signings away from shoring up a horrendous OF. I think CWS are still a year away and MIN, while they'll score runs, has a horrific rotation after Odorizzi)

AL West: OAK (I'm bearish on the Astros. They'll still be good, of course, but I'm not sure they're a team mentally prepared for what's going to hit them this season, especially early on)

NL East: ATL (Not many flaws with this team. I think they outlast WSH. NYM have to prove they're worthy of being in the conversation before I'm a believer)

NL Central: STL (Toughest division. Perhaps this is a status quo pick because I don't envision the Reds putting it together enough to win the division and the Cubs feel like they're in a bit of disarray. Brewers starting pitching is rough and I have doubts they can replicate last year's success)

NL West: LAD (ARI could make it interesting for a large part of the season, but they just don't have the same kind of fire power and depth)

The AL West is interesting. Can the Astros overcome Buzzergate? Can Oakland's patchwork rotation work magic again? Can the Angels find some starting pitching? Can the Rangers pitching retread philosophy pay off again? Can the Mariners not finish dead last? 

I think Houston still is the most talented club, but I think it will be a dogfight to win the division. However, like everyone else, I hope they don't.

• Like 1

AL East - Yankees. Too much talent.

AL Central - Twins. Though Cleveland pushes them hard until the bitter end.

AL West - A's. Luzardo & Manaea star. A's win division on the final day of the season

AL WC - Astros & Rays. Very talented clubs in a top-heavy AL.

NL East - Braves. They're really good.

NL Central - Cardinals. No real reason. They're just solid. Tough division

NL West - Dodgers. They only win it by 15 games this season.

NL WC - Mets & Nats. Nats miss Rendon a lot but squeak in. Mets pitching staff dominant. 

AL Playoffs:

WC - Rays over Astros

Div - A's over Twins

Div - Yankees over Rays

CS - Yankees over A's

NL Playoffs:

WC - Mets over Nats

Div - Dodgers over Mets

Div - Braves over Cardinals

CS - Dodgers over Braves

WS - Dodgers over Yankees!! Epic series!!

22 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

AL East: NYY (I've always had a soft spot for Tampa, but this Yankees team is more stacked than the previous few seasons. Another plague of injuries could open the door for TB, though)

AL Central: CLE (This isn't a homer pick because I am largely down on the Tribe's offseason, but the rotation is still amazing and they're just a few signings away from shoring up a horrendous OF. I think CWS are still a year away and MIN, while they'll score runs, has a horrific rotation after Odorizzi)

AL West: OAK (I'm bearish on the Astros. They'll still be good, of course, but I'm not sure they're a team mentally prepared for what's going to hit them this season, especially early on)

NL East: ATL (Not many flaws with this team. I think they outlast WSH. NYM have to prove they're worthy of being in the conversation before I'm a believer)

NL Central: STL (Toughest division. Perhaps this is a status quo pick because I don't envision the Reds putting it together enough to win the division and the Cubs feel like they're in a bit of disarray. Brewers starting pitching is rough and I have doubts they can replicate last year's success)

NL West: LAD (ARI could make it interesting for a large part of the season, but they just don't have the same kind of fire power and depth)

I like your picks. I also like and agree with your reasons for the most part on plenty of your predictions. However, i think you are forgetting some names in that Twins rotation.

Jose Berrios is a stud. As mentioned, Odorizzi. Afterwards, i would see why you are worried. I personally like Michael Pineda, who i believe has never truly lived up to his potential dating back to the M's days. 

What does Homer Bailey give them? probably nothing but innings. Who knows what happens with Rich Hill when he returns to the mound? Fernando Romero looked good in brief stints and still has time to develop into a quality arm and the same can be said for Smeltzer.

Berrios, Odorizzi, Pineda, Bailey. Hill, Romero, Smeltzer.

It may not be the 'best' rotation in the division, but, when combined with the BEST offence in that division, they should be able to hold their own and win plenty of games.

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

The AL West is interesting. Can the Astros overcome Buzzergate? Can Oakland's patchwork rotation work magic again? Can the Angels find some starting pitching? Can the Rangers pitching retread philosophy pay off again? Can the Mariners not finish dead last? 

I think Houston still is the most talented club, but I think it will be a dogfight to win the division. However, like everyone else, I hope they don't.

1. No, they wont over come it. TBH, i would be disapointed if Houston isnt beat up at seasons end.
2. Oaklands rotation has a ridiculous amount of potential. However, with the potential.. there are a lot of question marks and things do need to go right for them.. 
Fiers, Luzardo, Manaea, Montas, Puk, Mengden.. man, potential elite rotation.
3. No, The Angels at this point wont find anything to satisfy their pitching woes. Maybe via trade? What do they need to give up?
4. Mariners will finish last. lol.

5 hours ago, jonninho said:

I like your picks. I also like and agree with your reasons for the most part on plenty of your predictions. However, i think you are forgetting some names in that Twins rotation.

Jose Berrios is a stud. As mentioned, Odorizzi. Afterwards, i would see why you are worried. I personally like Michael Pineda, who i believe has never truly lived up to his potential dating back to the M's days. 

What does Homer Bailey give them? probably nothing but innings. Who knows what happens with Rich Hill when he returns to the mound? Fernando Romero looked good in brief stints and still has time to develop into a quality arm and the same can be said for Smeltzer.

Berrios, Odorizzi, Pineda, Bailey. Hill, Romero, Smeltzer.

It may not be the 'best' rotation in the division, but, when combined with the BEST offence in that division, they should be able to hold their own and win plenty of games.

If Pineda and Hill come back strong I think they'll be in good shape, but I don't have much faith in that happening. They certainly have the offense to stay in it and could make some deadline moves, but for me the rotation going into the season is not good. Just too many question marks for me to pick them as pre-season division winners.