NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 MLB division winners

11 hours ago, jonninho said:

1. No, they wont over come it. TBH, i would be disapointed if Houston isnt beat up at seasons end.
2. Oaklands rotation has a ridiculous amount of potential. However, with the potential.. there are a lot of question marks and things do need to go right for them.. 
Fiers, Luzardo, Manaea, Montas, Puk, Mengden.. man, potential elite rotation.

3. No, The Angels at this point wont find anything to satisfy their pitching woes. Maybe via trade? What do they need to give up?
4. Mariners will finish last. lol.

That's why I picked them to win the division in a close race over the Astros

6 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

That's why I picked them to win the division in a close race over the Astros

Astros still have the better bats and .. as for as we know, better rotation. Can't see how the A's finish on top of the Stros', unless the Stros' rotation implodes. 

On 1/29/2020 at 1:55 PM, jonninho said:

1. No, they wont over come it. TBH, i would be disapointed if Houston isnt beat up at seasons end.
2. Oaklands rotation has a ridiculous amount of potential. However, with the potential.. there are a lot of question marks and things do need to go right for them.. 
Fiers, Luzardo, Manaea, Montas, Puk, Mengden.. man, potential elite rotation.
3. No, The Angels at this point wont find anything to satisfy their pitching woes. Maybe via trade? What do they need to give up?
4. Mariners will finish last. lol.

Yeah I kinda forgot about the kids on Oaklands staff. Talent is there, but has yet to be realized. I think it could be elite in a couple years.

My first impression

AL East Yankees- Just a dominant roster.  That staff will coast.

AL Central- Indians- They have a great system for developing pitching so they'll be fine.  Still a good team.

AL West- Astros-  Still too good of a roster.  They should still finish at the top.

WC- Athletics- If the staff can stay healthy but that's if.

WC- Rays-  They are still a deep roster.  I considered the Twins but don't like their pitching depth.  I like the Angels to improve but I don't know by how much.  The Red Sox are also too talented and will be in the mix.  I like the White Sox on paper but until they prove otherwise, they'll need to do it on the field.

NL East Braves- Just a really good team

NL Central  Cardinals- I don't like anyone in this division but the Cards have the most solid roster.  The Reds seem like the White Sox of the NL.  I'll have to see it to believe it but they'll be in the mix

NL West-  Dodgers- Just a dominant roster.  This team will coast.

WC- Mets- If this staff stays healthy, they will have a great year.

WC- Nats- They'll make it in there.  I considered the Reds.  Arizona is a trendy pick but I like the NL East teams better.  The Rockies are another team I thought of.  I think their offense and team is good enough to overcome pitching woes.

A's over Rays

Mets over Nats

Yankees over A's

Indians over Stros

Yankees over Indians

Dodgers over Mets

Braves over Cards

Dodgers over Cards

Yankees over Dodgers

18 hours ago, MSkibisky said:

Astros still have the better bats and .. as for as we know, better rotation. Can't see how the A's finish on top of the Stros', unless the Stros' rotation implodes. 

Just a feeling, I think the Astros are going to struggle a bit this year, wild card team yes...

On 1/31/2020 at 2:45 AM, hockeyfan77 said:

Just a feeling, I think the Astros are going to struggle a bit this year, wild card team yes...

Could not agree more. Whitt Merrifeld is now on record stating how the Astros stabbed fellow players in the back and cost them a lot of money $$...

things are not going to go well for the Stros this year.

I mean, this goes beyond the plunking that is gonna take place.

Pretty sure many of us attend ball parks through out the year, maybe even BP, or at the least watch games on TV. You know what i notice in all 3 scenarios? players socializing with each other at 1B, behind the cages, after the game or for dinner. Guess what will not be happening this year? Any of those things..

Combine the cold hearts they will be receiving from their colleagues around the MLB, with the hatred the fans will be dishing out via words and signage both inside and out of the ballparks across America.. the stresses the players will be placing on themselves to perform well (and they will hit slumps... everyone does)..

This is not going to go well for the Astros.

Love the fact they are favored.. crazy value on the Athletics to win the division.

Re-thinking stuff and didn't do wild cards before:

AL East:  Yankees

AL Central:  Indians (changed because I just don't trust Twins' pitching)

AL West:  Houston (never underestimate the circle the wagons us against the world and the we got something to prove mentalities in sports though I'm sure Dusty will try to ruin things)

AL Wildcards:  Tampa Bay, Oakland (obvious dark horses Boston and Minnesota. White Sox need another year)

NL East:  Braves (close all the way)

NL Central:  Cubs (changed, decided Cincy needs another year to gel as a team and David Ross always seems a lucky guy and someone who could get the best out of his players)

NL West:  Dodgers

NL Wildcards:  Arizona (because Central and East division teams will cut each other's wins down along the way) and someone else, hah.  A real toss-up.  I'll got with ah, duh, hmmm ... Nats for now because of their top of the rotation three.  I was half tempted to bring the Mets into the discussion but they always seem to find ways to shot themselves in the foot so no.

Just focusing on the AL Central.

I think the Twins pitching is being underrated.  They finished 5th in the AL in ERA last year, the only real loss from that team is Gibson who didn't pitch much or well due to ulcerative colitis. Martin Perez signed with the Red Sox but that's nothing major.  They probably pitched a little over their heads last year, but even falling back a little puts them at worst 6th or 7th in the AL.  They didn't add a top tier pitcher but did add some solid bullpen depth in Clippard, Romo (only pitched a few innings for them last year), innings eater in Bailey, Rich Hill as a high end gamble.  They plan on using Graterol out of the bullpen, I'm thinking they use him as a bulk guy. Try to get him 125 innings or so.

Their bullpen only has Rogers as a standout, but they do have a ton of guys that should be league average or better.  14 guys that Zips has projected with a ERA+ better than 100.  

It may not be a conventional pitching staff, but similar to the Rays I think they'll be able to put together a pretty good pitching staff.

Edited by murraygd13
1 hour ago, murraygd13 said:

Just focusing on the AL Central.

I think the Twins pitching is being underrated.  They finished 5th in the AL in ERA last year, the only real loss from that team is Gibson who didn't pitch much or well due to ulcerative colitis. Martin Perez signed with the Red Sox but that's nothing major.  They probably pitched a little over their heads last year, but even falling back a little puts them at worst 6th or 7th in the AL.  They didn't add a top tier pitcher but did add some solid bullpen depth in Clippard, Romo (only pitched a few innings for them last year), innings eater in Bailey, Rich Hill as a high end gamble.  They plan on using Graterol out of the bullpen, I'm thinking they use him as a bulk guy. Try to get him 125 innings or so.

Their bullpen only has Rogers as a standout, but they do have a ton of guys that should be league average or better.  14 guys that Zips has projected with a ERA+ better than 100.  

It may not be a conventional pitching staff, but similar to the Rays I think they'll be able to put together a pretty good pitching staff.

Honestly, im with you. I believe this Twins staff is being over looked.

Look, dont get me wrong, initially.. i was all over the White Sox, but, like many have pointed out.. when a team has this many changes, it may take time to fully take affect. That being said, baseball is the one sport where change may not really need time to adapt. Its essentially a 1 v 1 type sport.. and they will have a full month of training to adapt to one another. I still like the White Sox as a team, but, i do believe the Twins may be the team to beat. 

I am looking at Cleveland, and see 3rd place written all over them.

4 hours ago, jonninho said:

What do you see in the Brewers to believe they will be division champions?

They aren't the Cubs, Cards, Reds, or Pirates.

Honestly though, I'm probably least impressed by that division. But the Brewers have Christian Yelich, an absolute game changer and the pieces around him are solid. Cain, Hiura, Braun, Avisail, with several rebound guys that could pop like Smoak or Healy. 

Pitching wise i think Woodruff is the real deal and can be an ace. I like Houser as a good starter. Lauer can surprise. And I think they have a good chance to tweak a guy like Faria. I think their bullpen is going to be strong.

I'm just not impressed with the Cards or Cubs enough and the Reds are still trying to pull it together. This division winner may very well be 95 wins or less and be there lowest win total of any division champ .

• 8 months later...
On 1/27/2020 at 6:42 PM, RedRaider27 said:

AL East: Yanks

AL Central: Twins

AL West: A's

Wild Card: Tampa and Houston

Can see Cleveland being up there real close to Houston for the 2nd spot. I would love to see my Angels get in there but unless their pitching stays healthy and exceeds expectations, they won't make it. Their offense should be fun though.

NL East: Atlanta

NL Central: Chicago

NL West: LA

Wild Card: Philly and Arizona

Washington misses the playoffs. San Diego is in the hunt but misses as well. NL Central seems like it will be the NFC East to me. No one really looks like they want to win that division. The Reds are the trendy pick but they don't seem clearly above the rest to me. Just seems like a really bad division that will be the worst in baseball (AL Central has 2 bad teams, 1 so-so team, 2 good teams).

AL Playoffs:

Tampa over Houston

Tampa over NY

A's over Twins

Tampa over A's

NL Playoffs:

Philly over AZ

ATL over Philly

LA over Chicago

ATL over LA

World Series:

Tampa over Atlanta

Maybe it's just me but the NL seems pretty weak this year. Don't take these picks too seriously, I came up with them just a minute ago and haven't done much research yet! Figured I'd contribute to the thread just for fun.

Bumping this up for good luck so the Braves beat the Dodgers tonight!