NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yandy Diaz 2020 Outlook

Eligible for 1B and 3B in most leagues, Yandy should be the everyday 3B for the Rays. Current NFBC ADP of 225. Last year hit .267 with 14 HR, 53 R, 38 RBI in half a season. Roster Resource has him as the #3 hitter.

I think there is real potential here for a break out season. He had a mini breakout in 2019 when he played, with a pace for almost 30 HR when he had 1 HR in his 88 previous MLB games. This doesn't seem like a total aberration, just look at a picture of him to understand his size and strength. While he is completely yoked, he also does not strike out a ton and should be able to hit .300 with better BABIP luck. His BABIP in 2019 was .288, which seems really low based on his profile. If this can normalize, he should be an asset in average. Steamer projects his BABIP to be at .326, albeit, they don't expect the power to last so their overall projection on him is low. Statcast likes him, just needs to increase his launch angle a bit to maintain his power.

I can easily see Yandy deliver something like 22 HR with a .300 AVG and a bunch of runs and RBI. At his ADP, he's currently very undervalued. Maybe doesn't have that huge upside but his approach and situation make him pretty likely to become a fantasy asset this season. Health is a concern but again at his price he's essentially free so the injury risk is already priced in.

• Like 4

I agree entirely.  The issue for me early was playing time, but looking it over there's not a whole lot of other 3B options for the Rays.  Wendle and Robertson are it and neither offer the consistent power/line-drive bat that Yandy does.  100 RBIs and 90 Rs are there for the taking with a full season.  I think he's a great sleeper.

9 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

I agree entirely.  The issue for me early was playing time, but looking it over there's not a whole lot of other 3B options for the Rays.  Wendle and Robertson are it and neither offer the consistent power/line-drive bat that Yandy does.  100 RBIs and 90 Rs are there for the taking with a full season.  I think he's a great sleeper.

There's a lot of moving parts with the Rays. I would think after Wendle's and Robertson's poor seasons last year they will open as a true utility men backing up everywhere. Brandon Lowe looks likely to be the opening day 2B. I'm more scared of Brosseau stealing time but I'd think they will start him in AAA with Wendle and Robertson backing up. I would think they would like to give Brosseau full time ABs somewhere. That leaves 3B wide open for Yandy.

With that being said, he probably will get a bunch of days off throughout the year to get Wendle and Robertson involved. This will probably be a theme for a lot of Rays. If Yandy can produce then this will decrease throughout the year, and at his price the playing time uncertainty is already priced in.

Yandy is one of my favorite players.  When he was healthy last season, he was getting as many at bats as anyone on the team.  He hit leadoff vs. lefties and 3 or 4 against righties.  I think everyone is worried about playing time, but they shouldn't be. 

I don't know how he'll do in terms of hitting a baseball, but I'm thinking he's the obvious frontrunner for powerlifting MVP of the American League.  Wouldn't surprise me if the Yandy-man could muster a 1200-1300 pound squat/deadlift/bench total.  

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

in OBP leagues, as a CI he isn't killing you, because of his 18% bb rate (.410 OBP on the season), but:

• not a single barrel on the year,
  • hard hit % down about 20% compared to career average,
  • exit velocity down about 3-4 ticks compared to career average, and
  • rocking an avg launch angle of -8.1

not what i was expecting/hoping for.

• Like 1