NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mookie Betts 2020 Outlook

4 hours ago, posty said:

Trout in this first two complete seasons had zero MVP awards...  The same with Soto...

You can't compare MVP awards with someone that has played eight complete seasons to two seasons...

??? Trout was runner up and got robbed in 2012. Either way youre hoping Soto becomes Trout.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Betts batted behind Jackie Bradley Jr for years. The pitchers will be an upgrade.

Who cares about "skills level."  It is not competitive any more as a league.  NBA is run by about a half dozen players.  It sucks because of that. And quit saying people who are against 12 year /

Much as I like to bash Mookie, I have to defend his contracts demands.  He’s a 6-7 war per year avg player and those type of players are just super rare.  Harper is like a 4 War player except that sen

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Mookie had 14 appearances in 2014 and 1 in 2018; not great defensively @ 2B overall; but is passable I supposed. Apparently this switch was Mookie's idea, so we might get enough starts before season ends for him to be eligible as 2B in 2021! Something to get excited about! 

image.png.7e9137ec5d00624cb659be542fb95ca4.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 8:24 PM, FootballFan101 said:

It's true Fenway's not a great place for HR, but it is a phenomenal place for batting average and runs because of the Green Monster. 

Going into this year for his career, Betts had 

.319 BA, 65 HR, 318 R, 253 RBI in 394 career games at Fenway

.285 BA, 74 HR, 293 R, 217 RBI in 398 career road games

So, yes, I could see HRs going up slightly for him at Dodger Stadium, but I think runs, RBIs, and especially batting average will get worse without Fenway.  Also I don't see the 25-30 stolen bases he used to get prior to last year coming back either.  Lastly, aside from obviously Coors Field (where the Dodgers only play 4 games), there's a ton of pitcher's park in the NL West and AL West overall where he'll be playing all his games this year.

Personally, I don't expect Betts to be a top 20 fantasy player this year, and it wouldn't shock me if he's not top 40 either..  If Betts does end up being a top 20 player, I'll definitely come back here and admit I was wrong at the end of the year, but that's the way I feel after owning Bettis last year.

Well, I said I'd come back at the end and admit I wrong if Bettis was a top 20 player this year, so I'll eat crow now and admit I was wrong.

I couldn't have been more disappointed owning Betts last year.  I thought I was getting a 5 cat stud in his prime in a great lineup in a greater hitter's park, and he ended up being very mediocre in 4 of the 5 categories.  Considering I lost my roto money league by 1.5 points, Betts' down year cost me my league.  Seeing Betts bounce back and do great this year only adds to my disappointment with Betts last year.

13 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Well, I said I'd come back at the end and admit I wrong if Bettis was a top 20 player this year, so I'll eat crow now and admit I was wrong.

I couldn't have been more disappointed owning Betts last year.  I thought I was getting a 5 cat stud in his prime in a great lineup in a greater hitter's park, and he ended up being very mediocre in 4 of the 5 categories.  Considering I lost my roto money league by 1.5 points, Betts' down year cost me my league.  Seeing Betts bounce back and do great this year only adds to my disappointment with Betts last year.

I appreciate you coming back, but you’re still way off base. Mookie was 14th on the ESPN player rater last season, and is currently 6th. This isn’t a perfect measure, but point: He was great both seasons. And certainly you realize that small gap wasn’t what cost you the league last year, at least alone. There were probably plenty of players/decisions made that ultimately made the difference. Saying you lost solely because of Mookie’s “down year” is still laughable. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I appreciate you coming back, but you’re still way off base. Mookie was 14th on the ESPN player rater last season, and is currently 6th. This isn’t a perfect measure, but point: He was great both seasons. And certainly you realize that small gap wasn’t what cost you the league last year, at least alone. There were probably plenty of players/decisions made that ultimately made the difference. Saying you lost solely because of Mookie’s “down year” is still laughable. 

I didn't say solely.  Obviously there's lot of other decisions and factors as well.  However, the point is that if Mookie Betts had had his normal average season over the past 5 years last year, I would have won my league.  That's not speculation, that's a fact.

I don't see how you can say Betts was "great" last year.  Ranking 14th in ESPN (15th in Yahoo) isn't what owners hope for from someone who had a #2 ADP last year and finished as the top overall player in both 2016 and 2018.  And most of his production came in one category: runs scored.  He was very disappointing in the other 4 categories.  Take a look at his 2019 page.  I was far from the only manager who was fed up with Mookie last year. 

Edited by FootballFan101
29 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I didn't say solely.  Obviously there's lot of other decisions and factors as well.  However, the point is that if Mookie Betts had had his normal average season over the past 5 years last year, I would have won my league.  That's not speculation, that's a fact.

I don't see how you can say Betts was "great" last year.  Ranking 14th in ESPN (15th in Yahoo) isn't what owners hope for from someone who had a #2 ADP last year and finished as the top overall player in both 2016 and 2018.  And most of his production came in one category: runs scored.  He was very disappointing in the other 4 categories.  Take a look at his 2019 page.  I was far from the only manager who was fed up with Mookie last year. 

Oh, I’m well aware there were many other irrational owners last year as well. Not just you.

Truth is, I bet there’s many who took Mookie this year at 4 and are disappointed and losing their league because he’s not even top 5. What a bum.

Missing on breakout players cost you your league, your first round pick sporting a .295avg/.915ops and 135r/29hr/80rbi/16sb line doesn’t. 

Also, the Dodgers teasing 2B eligibility to only do it one time was the biggest letdown of the year for me. Almost made up for my infield a compete trainwreck. 

1 minute ago, KrunK said:

Missing on breakout players cost you your league, your first round pick sporting a .295avg/.915ops and 135r/29hr/80rbi/16sb line doesn’t. 

Also, the Dodgers teasing 2B eligibility to only do it one time was the biggest letdown of the year for me. Almost made up for my infield a compete trainwreck. 

I think Mookie gets second base eligibility at some point next season. The dodgers love their flexibility and Mookie looked quite good there in his one start.

16 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Oh, I’m well aware there were many other irrational owners last year as well. Not just you.

Truth is, I bet there’s many who took Mookie this year at 4 and are disappointed and losing their league because he’s not even top 5. What a bum.

I haven't seen any owners complain about Betts this year on this page.  And there's simply no comparison between Betts' production this year and last year

Last year in 150 games, he batted .295, 134 R, 29 HR, 80 RBI, 16 SB

This year if you project his stats out over 150 games, they would be: .292, 128 R, 44 HR, 107 RBI, and 28 SB.

Sure, last year's numbers would be great for an average player, but for someone who had Mookie's track record, was in the prime of his career, and had an ADP of #2, last year's stats were highly disappointing.

17 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

I don't see how you can say Betts was "great" last year.  Ranking 14th in ESPN (15th in Yahoo) isn't what owners hope for from someone who had a #2 ADP 

It's actually a very good outcome.  Not saying you couldn't have made a better pick, obviously there were a number, but getting top 20 value out of any fist round pick, including #1 overall is a fine pick.  That wasn't the reason you didn't finish X spots higher. Picking up like Giolito from the waiver wire (or a late rond flyer ideally) >>>>>>>>>> than taking yelich over mookie last year (which nobody did).

Edited by brockpapersizer