NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mookie Betts 2020 Outlook

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Betts batted behind Jackie Bradley Jr for years. The pitchers will be an upgrade.

Who cares about "skills level."  It is not competitive any more as a league.  NBA is run by about a half dozen players.  It sucks because of that. And quit saying people who are against 12 year /

Much as I like to bash Mookie, I have to defend his contracts demands.  He’s a 6-7 war per year avg player and those type of players are just super rare.  Harper is like a 4 War player except that sen

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

13y/380m

Hahaha!!!  Thank God my Sox weren't that stupid.  A guy with Mookie's slight build is going to fall off his now elite pace faster than most.  13 years for a contract = the definition of insanity.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

He took less money to not play for the Red Sox 😂😂

What "less money."  He was never going to get 420 mil for 12 years anywhere ever.  That was fantasyland stuff no one on planet earth ever took seriously, especially the Red Sox who, hopefully, have learned their lessons from their endless stupid contracts.  I am so glad the Dodgers are now stuck with this albatross of all albatrosses contract not that Boston would have ever made even remotely an offer like that to him.  It is going to backfire long term on LA really really so ever badly.

11 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What "less money."  He was never going to get 420 mil for 12 years anywhere ever.  That was fantasyland stuff no one on planet earth ever took seriously, especially the Red Sox who, hopefully, have learned their lessons from their endless stupid contracts.  I am so glad the Dodgers are now stuck with this albatross of all albatrosses contracts not that Boston would have ever made even remotely an offer like that to him.  It is going to backfire long term on LA really really so ever badly.

Let's be honest, he should play for $0 like you do in fantasy baseball (and complain about overpaid players). He shouldn't need the motivation!  The point is to win games, something you have lost sight of over the years.

The Dodgers are going to be good for many years. Everyone agrees this won't be a good contract on the back end. The Red Sox are the 3rd or 4th best team in their division right now, and that will be the same next year. The Red Sox are not competitive right now. The Dodgers might be hamstrung in 6-8 years.   Please get some perspective. 

The albatros of albatross?  His contract AAV is less than the one Price signed almost 5 years ago. LOL.  And guess what, the percentage of the salary cap that Betts contract will take up will be even less. And the Price contract wasn't even bad.  I know you will ignore this point in future posts, but 29 million on the books in 2030 is going to be a smaller percentage than it of a team salary right now. 

You did realize the Dodgers also have one of the best farms, even after the Red Sox trade.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Let's be honest, he should play for $0 like you do in fantasy baseball (and complain about overpaid players). He shouldn't need the motivation!  The point is to win games, something you have lost sight of over the years.

The Dodgers are going to be good for many years. Everyone agrees this won't be a good contract on the back end. The Red Sox are the 3rd or 4th best team in their division right now, and that will be the same next year. The Red Sox are not competitive right now. The Dodgers might be hamstrung in 8 years.   Please get some perspective.

They will be hamstrung with Betts not producing at an elite level in far less than 8 years and this is the Betts thread which I am talking about.  I give him 3 years max at elite level if that.  Then he will be good but nowhere near his contract.  It isn't just the back end of that contract.  His power issues are coming and coming fast.  Saw signs of that watching him play in Boston his last year here.  You had to watch the diffeenc between 2017 and 2018 to see what was happening.  Balls that went out in 2017 weren't going out in 2018.  Something near impossible to pick up in cold stats but clear to see watching him.  He doesn't have the physical frame to sustain those elite power numbers.

The point is to sustain a wining team long term.  Dombrowski killed that chance in Boston with this all in stuff and now they are rebuilding with props to three former Dodger players giving them a quick boost in that dept both on the team and in the minors. 

Dodgers had it right with that pipeline approach but now they blew their game out of the water with the Theo feed the monster scenario starting there.  Because ALL of the payers cited above will become free agents with Betts' contract dampening down any money they could get from the Dodgers compared to what other teams will offer them. Sad thing for the Dodgers is they could have become juggernauts for years to come since they really didn't need Betts at all given that young talent.  How they will have to start trading them away before they reach free agency.

15 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They will be hamstrung with Betts not producing at an elite level in far less than 8 years and this is the Betts thread which I am talking about.  I give him 3 years max at elite level if that.  Then he will be good but nowhere near his contract.  It isn't just the back end of that contract.  His power issues are coming and coming fast.  Saw signs of that watching him play in Boston his last year here.  He doesn't have the physical frame to sustain those elite numbers.

The point is to sustain a wining team long term.  Dombrowski killed that chance in Boston with this all in stuff and now they are rebuilding with props to three former Dodger players giving them a quick boost in that dept both on the team and in the minors. 

Dodgers had it right with that pipeline approach but now they blew their game out of the water with the Theo feed the monster scenario starting there.  Because ALL of the payers cited above will become free agents with Betts' contract dampening down any money they could get from the Dodgers compared to what other teams will offer them. Sad thing for the Dodgers is they could have become juggernauts for years to come since they really didn't need Betts at all given that young talent.  How they will have to start trading them away before they reach free agency.

So the Dodgers have been juggernauts the last 3-4 years. They will be for the next 3-4 years. And the Dodgers are suppose to be worried about Dustin May's contract extension they might not be able to afford in 6 years. OK.  Jeeze man. I think the Dodgers might survive.  I'm using May because he was their best prospect called up last year

Additionally, if they can't afford Dustin May because he's an Ace requiring 200 +  million, that means A) he was a damn good pitcher for those 6 years (which sounds amazing). and B They signed other good players in the meantime. to fill up their budget and C) Even If they signed Dustin May to a 200 million extension you would hate it because it might look bad 4-5 years from then (10 years from now)

I genuinely don't understand your obsession with the flexibility to sign overpaid free agents years from now, especially since you hate players getting paid. 

Winning is good, saving money is pointless except for the owner's pocket.

The Dodgers made it to the World Series with Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford (and someone else who was overpaid) on the books.

P

E

R

S

P

E

C

T

I

V

E

5 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

Let the Sox fan grieve over losing Mookie 😎

The Red Sox are doing great, the fact that Devers and Boegarts (both studs) are under contract for a few more years for cheap is all that matters.  Let's not forget  that because David Price opted out, they don't have to pay him 16 million a year to play for another team, that will only be the following 2 years.  I'm kind of jealous of their success this year.

Nice deal for the Dodgers and Mookie.  They made the trade with the intent of re-signing or extending him...smart.  Red Sox fans thought they'd sign him back in the offseason and lose nothing on the trade...not happening.  Hopefully he lives up to the contract.

• Like 2

Mookie seems to me like the kind of cat who will always be a good hitter even when he loses his speed.

Anyway, the Dodgers obviously have money to burn.  I doubt this deal will haunt them that badly.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

LOL!!!  Someone doesn't know me here.  I was ALL for the trade last year.  I wanted them to trade him the year before when they could have gotten back even more.

In my circle up here in western Massachusetts the Red Sox fans are not happy that Mookie was traded. Fan favorite, instead of trading him you build championships around players like Devers, Xander & Mookie. The Red Sox are not the Royals, Twins etc... there is money. 

11 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

In my circle up here in western Massachusetts the Red Sox fans are not happy that Mookie was traded. Fan favorite, instead of trading him you build championships around players like Devers, Xander & Mookie. The Red Sox are not the Royals, Twins etc... there is money. 

OT:  There is also luxury tax penalties that can destroy their farm system.  It is about the team winning.  Not some lone star and fan favorite.  This isn't the NBA where one or two players can win a championship for a team.  Baseball is better than that.  The 2004 team that broke the curse didn't have big stars.  They were "The Idiots" and Pedro.  No one expected the unheralded Ortiz's breakout.  Give me a team of role players like that any day.

41 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

OT:  There is also luxury tax penalties that can destroy their farm system.  It is about the team winning.  Not some lone star and fan favorite.  This isn't the NBA where one or two players can win a championship for a team.  Baseball is better than that.  The 2004 team that broke the curse didn't have big stars.  They were "The Idiots" and Pedro.  No one expected the unheralded Ortiz's breakout.  Give me a team of role players like that any day.

Did you forget Manny & Schilling. Role players are very important to any championship winning team. 

Mookie is gone you think it was the right move while I think the Red Sox should have made sure to resign him. The Red Sox blew it. We shall see the next five years will determine Revisit in 2025 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

Did you forget Manny & Schilling. Role players are very important to any championship winning team. 

Mookie is gone you think it was the right move while I think the Red Sox should have made sure to resign him. The Red Sox blew it. We shall see the next five years will determine Revisit in 2025 

You can't reason with him.  He wants his team to have financial flexibility but also win without stars. It makes no sense. The Red Sox are going to be very financially flexible very soon to potentially overpay someone else, it just won't be Mookie now, and considering it won't be Trout, it's going to be someone worse. In the meantime you have studs in their primes who years are being wasted in Boegarts/Devers and will actually need to be re-signed much sooner than Lux/Buheler/May/Will Smith.  The point of having a cheap great core is to spend as much money as possible to compliment it and increase championship odds.   The Dodgers will one day not be contenders, it won't be soon. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

So you wanted to keep Mookie this year and get nothing back for him.  No Verdugo.  No Downs.  No Wong.  And no one left down on the farm to replace him either.  Because Mookie was NOT under any circumstances whatsoever going to re-sign with Boston.  He wanted out.  Period.  Why can't you understand that.  He did NOT want to stay in Boston since the day the Sox low-balled him during his first year of arbitration and he felt disrespected.  The scenario that some casual fans have that throwing money at Mookie would keep him in Boston is totally a fable.

6 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

You can't reason with him.  He wants his team to have financial flexibility but also win without stars. It makes no sense. The Red Sox are going to be very financially flexible very soon to potentially overpay someone else, it just won't be Mookie now, and considering it won't be Trout, it's going to be someone worse. In the meantime you have studs in their primes who years are being wasted in Boegarts/Devers and will actually need to be re-signed much sooner than Lux/Buheler/May/Will Smith.  The point of having a cheap great core is to spend as much money as possible to compliment it and increase championship odds.   The Dodgers will one day not be contenders, it won't be soon. 

Your model needs a young core that are up and producing (which Boston doesn't have), a strong farm system (again which Boston doesn't have).

I think that the next CBA, there will be strike, two of things will be shorter arbitration years with including safeguards on holding players down to start the time. Think there will also be some form of salary cap as the issue the players give up in return. The Dodgers model may not be workable then

. Baseball needs to many changes to appeal to the general public going forward.