NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Eloy Jimenez 2020 Outlook

BradMaddox

1 hour ago, KingJoffrey said:

I’m pretty optimistic on him.. it sucks he bats 6th usually in the lineup.

I don't think it will be too long before he takes over the cleanup spot

If he ends up hitting behind Yoan/Abreu and ahead of Grandal/EE or Robert -- that's a lot of RBI and runs scored. Even in an up and down rookie year he was a standout home run hitter (31 in 504 PA). Long-term, I think he ends up in the 3-hole behind Robert and Moncada. What you pay for with Eloy is a guy that has a realistic ceiling through his prime of consistently hitting 35-40 home runs and throwing in a combined 200 R + RBI while hitting .280-.300. That's why you pay a premium for him over someone like Schwarber.

3 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Not any chatter on him..what are your thoughts on him in this shortened season in a strong lineup?

Huge, enormous ChiSox fan here; ‘tis my squad.

Jimenez is a stud. He’s going to rake this season and for many years to come. Tons and tons of power and a very good natural hitter independent of all that power. Hits to all fields, power to all fields. Knocks 430 + ft bombs seeming effortlessly. Was a monster the last couple months his rookie season and at just 23 years old still hasn’t even really begun to scratch the surface yet. For a young guy, he’s not particularly slump prone. You can except consistent, steady production from him. 

Very enthusiastic ballplayer, and by all accounts very comfortable in his surroundings with the organization and in the clubhouse, as the Sox have a copiously large mix of key veteran Latin American bats (Jose Abreu, Edwin Encarnacion,Yasmani Grandal, Leruy Garcia) and  young, talented Latin American bats (Eloy Jimenez, Yoan Moncada, Luis Robert, Nomar Mazara).

Ricky Renteria is not your friend though, at least for 2020 anyway. 

He suppresses Jimenez’s RBI and run totals somewhat through his stubborn refusal to put out his best lineup and utilize his bats in their most optimal spots in the lineup. But that’s to be expected, because Ricky Renteria is an idiot of a manager (Plus he’s a Cub reject. Disgraceful); therefore, he bats Jiminez 6th.

Renteria may or may not eventually move Jimenez’s bat to the cleanup spot, but I wouldn’t necessarily count on it, at least anytime soon anyway. He’s typically very slow to make the changes that are glaringly obvious to anyone with a pair of eyes and a pulse.

Good News is Jimenez’s bat travels no matter where he’s hitting in the lineup. Yeah, for as long as he’s hitting 6th there’s some run production left on the table...but not nearly enough to stop him from eating. His bat is just too dangerous.

Edited by Chest-Rockwell

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 3:15 PM, Rotofan24 said:

I don't know when it is coming, but I agree. It is coming. 

Seems like it is here. 2-5 with another HR today.

If there was even a slight chance of getting somebody to sell him low, that is likely over after today.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fredo_corleone said:

Guys been hitting well and twists his ankle celebrating the Gio no hitter. 

He ended up walking off by himself and was laughing after getting checked out, so it should be a non-issue.  Probably the worst case scenario is that he gets tomorrow's game off with it being an afternoon game, but we'll see. Regardless, it doesn't seem like there should be anything to be concerned about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KilloWertz said:

He ended up walking off by himself and was laughing after getting checked out, so it should be a non-issue.  Probably the worst case scenario is that he gets tomorrow's game off with it being an afternoon game, but we'll see. Regardless, it doesn't seem like there should be anything to be concerned about.

They also have Thursday off, so if anything he may miss just tomorrow and Thursday so that he's fresh and ready for the series against KC.

2 hours ago, fredo_corleone said:

He's back in the lineup so there's that.

Yep, and launched another HR.

He did end up leaving the game late after limping a bit after running to 1st, but I would imagine it was precautionary since the game was well out of hand by then.  I'd expect him back out there again on Friday.

Just now, KilloWertz said:

Yep, and launched another HR.

He did end up leaving the game late after limping a bit after running to 1st, but I would imagine it was precautionary since the game was well out of hand by then.  I'd expect him back out there again on Friday.

I saw that he was out of the game - but yea - game was lopsided by then.