NBC Sports Edge Forums

Favorite Mariners moments 1977-2020

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Cmilne23 will like this one...   Needlessly sweeping the A's in the last series of the season to lose the #1 draft pick in the ensuing draft, thus missing on Stephen Strasburg and instead d

Here’s a good one and a reason why I likely loathe this franchise.  When I was 10 years old and not yet jaded, I was a huge Mariner fan.  Lived and breathed them.  Well in the summer of 1994 or 1995 I

Posted Images

1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

Mariners? Oof... Going to need to bust the VCR out for this one...

Just don’t turn on the one Mariners bloopers tape on where randy Johnson is shagging fly balls with no cup on.  Let’s just say his nickname is big unit for a reason.....

Edited by Cmilne23
3 hours ago, JFS179 said:

Can’t believe we’re three pages in and nobody mentioned the most unlikely perfect game in MLB history (outside of Dallas Braden’s perhaps):

PHILIP HUMBER

I streamed him that game.  I think it was a Sunday and won me a H2H game.  I still talk trash to my buddy about that.

8 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

When crybaby, cried his way out to Cincy.

Biggest diaper wearing, Mariner in history.

They should hand out diapers in his honor.

The arrogant little ***

You don’t have a 110 loss team to root for in Seattle if that crybaby didn’t get want out of Seattle.  Could you blame him?  Who in their right mind would want to play baseball for Howard Lincoln, Chuck Armstrong and an owner who saw 0 total games the time he owned the team (lucky bastard wish I saw 0 games).  Same thing with A-Rod, Mariner fans ripped him.  Why should he of stayed?  He got double the money to play elsewhere and got out away from the Mickey Mouse Mariners.  I was happy for both A-Rod and Griffey when they left.  Good for them.  Mark those down as great Mariner memories.

10 hours ago, JFS179 said:

Can’t believe we’re three pages in and nobody mentioned the most unlikely perfect game in MLB history (outside of Dallas Braden’s perhaps):

PHILIP HUMBER

Another great memory in Mariner history.  I was actually at that game (don’t judge me), it was my bachelor party.  The Mariners were second stop on the tour of the day.  So as we embark upon the game Humber is warming up in the pen prior to the game at then Safeco Field.  Being that I was slightly intoxicated at the time I go over while Humber is warming up and tell him he sucks, laugh at his 7 era and 1.79 whip and tell him he’ll be selling me life insurance in a few months.  We get a few laughs and then go about our way.  Being that it was a Seattle Mariners baseball game we didn’t really pay much attention for awhile, too busy doing ripper magoos in center field.  Around the 7th we start to realize what is happening.  Then we tune in with great pleasure to see Humber toss a perfect game against the Mariners.  I still like to believe I motivated Phil that day to toss the game of his life.  Another great moment in Mariner history.  

• Haha 4

Pampers got out. We got the last laugh.

Cameron was a better player, once he got here. 

We won 116 the year after Pampers left.

Mariner fans aren't very bright.

Throwing fake money, when Arod returned. Mariners offered 5 years, 92 mil. Texas offered 252 mil. Arod had a legit reason to leave.

Yet, they think Pampers is some kind of hero.

It hasn't happened yet, but its coming.

The best OF in MLB will reside in Seattle.

Julio Rodriguez 

Jared Kelenic

Kyle Lewis

Thank you Jerry for trying. Thank you for not crying about everything. Thank you for being a pro, and not running away. We salute a warrior in the trenches.

Thank you for getting the guy out, who walked down to 1st, (Cano).

You were handed a franchise that was riddled with terrible contracts, old players, and no farm system.

You didn't cry, whine, complain about park, demand a trade. You tried.

As ACDC said, we salute you.

I’ve seen it all now.  We got Mariner fans who dislike Ken Griffey Jr for wanting out of this s*** stain franchise, and salute Jerry Dipito who’s helped achieve a grand total of 0 playoff appearances for the Seattle Mariners.  Expectations here aren’t high folks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

Pampers got out. We got the last laugh.

Cameron was a better player, once he got here. 

We won 116 the year after Pampers left.

Mariner fans aren't very bright.

Throwing fake money, when Arod returned. Mariners offered 5 years, 92 mil. Texas offered 252 mil. Arod had a legit reason to leave.

Yet, they think Pampers is some kind of hero.

Part of that is because ARod came back the following year, whereas Griffey's return was 8 years after the fact.

And the M's won 116 the year after ARod left.  It was 2 years after Griffey left.

Also, ARod went on to have a Hall of Fame career after Seattle, whereas Griffey's career tailed off.  Griffey went into the HOF a Mariner.  ARod, if he gets in, probably goes in as a Yankee.

There are a lot of reasons M's fans think more fondly of Griffey than ARod.

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

I’ve seen it all now.  We got Mariner fans who dislike Ken Griffey Jr for wanting out of this s*** stain franchise, and salute Jerry Dipito who’s helped achieve a grand total of 0 playoff appearances for the Seattle Mariners.  Expectations here aren’t high folks.

DiPoto was handed a farm system, ranking 25 to 30. 

Was handed terrible contracts.

Cano, seager, felix.

The team was among the oldest.

He saw the 90 win team was a fluke.

Lucky unsustainable luck in 1 run games. A 79 win team using run differential.

He did absolutely the right thing.

He has shed the contracts, outside of the bum seager.

The farm system is top 10.

It's about the process, not the results.

You cant expect playoffs just yet.

He was involved in getting

Kyle Lewis, julio Rodriguez, Jared kelenic, even white, Logan Gilbert, shed long, tom murphy, justin Dunn, justus sheffield.

Give them time to get up and gel.

There is no GM who would be in playoffs, given what jack z left.

Arod was forced to leave.

160 mil more then Seattle offered.

Pampers wasn't forced to leave.

He demanded to leave.

And he demanded to leave on his terms. Cincy or nothing.

You guys can keep idolizing Pampers

3 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

Arod was forced to leave.

160 mil more then Seattle offered.

Pampers wasn't forced to leave.

He demanded to leave.

And he demanded to leave on his terms. Cincy or nothing.

You guys can keep idolizing Pampers

Ken Griffey Jr. requested a trade to be closer to his family and play for team he grew up rooting for.  Hardly the first ball player do so.  He saved baseball in Seattle for better or for worse (worse).  You should consider yourself lucky someone of his stature even put on a Mariner uniform in first place.  And you should consider yourself lucky if you got to watch him up close and personal first hand.  Holding a grudge against the greatest Mariner you’ll ever see in your life is right up there with strangest things I’ve heard a Mariner fan spew.  And this fan base is probably the dumbest in America so I’ve heard some pretty crazy stuff over the years.  

• Like 2
On 1/30/2020 at 4:08 PM, 89Topps said:

@Cmilne23 will like this one...

Needlessly sweeping the A's in the last series of the season to lose the #1 draft pick in the ensuing draft, thus missing on Stephen Strasburg and instead drafting Dustin Ackley.

Ahh, to be a Mariner fan.

My buddy and I talk about this every year. The curse of Strasburg. Only the M's would win all of these absolutely meaningless games to miss out on him, only to get one of the biggest busts ever. And then the Nationals and Strasburg go to, and win the World Series, leaving only the M's as the one team that has never made it. 

1 hour ago, Cesare13 said:

I remember my jays getting Jose Cruz jr. for Mike timlin.  (We dont get many bones thrown to us up north.)

About as mad as I've ever been as a Mariners fan, and that's saying a lot. I loved Jose Cruz Jr. Let's not forget we also got the dominating Paul Spoljaric.

On 2/12/2020 at 2:58 PM, 89Topps said:

That's Carlos Gomez.  The M's signed Carlos Gonzalez.

My buddy, drunk as a skunk, traded Adam Wainwright for Cargo. As Cargo was my favorite player at the time, he called me to rub it in. As commish, I checked on the trade. He traded for Cargo alright. Carlos Gomez. He thought he traded for Carlos Gonzalez. We still give him crap to this day.