NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ramon Laureano 2020 Outlook

8 hours ago, Kramjam24 said:

I disagree, get hit twice in the same game then have the batting coach taunt you how do you not do something

I normally would agree with you that you have to do something and stand up for yourself, especially if it's against the cheating Astros from the same division. BUT this is not the season to do this. Laureano looks like he will be slapped with a minimum of 5 games, potential for who knows how much (15?). Laureano is now at the mercy of Rob Manfred, who just handed out a shockingly high suspension to Joe Kelly for his involvement in a fight during these COVID times. Anyway my point is, Laureano's actions (justified or not) will cost him and the Athletics precious games that they desperately need in this 60-game season. He could end up missing 15% of this 2020 season, which is huge. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol at a member of the Houston Astros getting punished by Manfred. Don't see why he'd start now.

Brilliant move by Houston.  Have a bunch of no name relievers throw at guys, then have your frickin hitting coach challenge him to a fight.  A's lose Laureano, Houston (maybe) loses whoever the heck t

Justified or not, his actions could have  literally put the entire season in jeopardy.  Not just his team but every other team as well.

15 games.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Fingers crossed it's only a 5 game suspension.

There a couple of reasons why I think it will be on the lower end of a 5-15 game spectrum: (i) Laureano doesn't have a bad reputation, (ii) a Coach (an authority figure) was involved - and this is definitely a mitigating factor for Laureano in old school baseball heads, (iii) all of the words could be heard and the A's are making it seem like the Astros did a lot of the heavy lifting and (iv) Laureano could be portrayed as a victim - hit twice and then provoked by a Coach. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

Lol at a member of the Houston Astros getting punished by Manfred. Don't see why he'd start now.

I hear you. But I also think that the Laureano fight had little to do with the Astros cheating. Laureano was a member of the Astros organization in 2017. But I don't have the full story and don't know what was said. 

1 hour ago, burty1 said:

When will the suspension begin?  Is there a potential for appeal allowing him to play this week?  

Any thoughts?

I think this is probably at the top of MLB's agenda. They will do their interviews and diligence and probably announce something within the next couple of days. This case may be even quicker since everyone on the field could hear the comments.  

Pretty sure Joe Kelly gets another 10 games for this outburst.  If Cintron doesn't get a huge suspension the league is a complete joke.  They've done everything possible to cover for these cheaters and it's making the situation even worse in the league.

Alex Cintron should absolutely get suspended but he's a bench coach. Even if the league suspends him half the year, nobody would notice or care. No matter what was said, Laureano should at least get a 10-15 game suspension. The league can't validate one of it's players running at the opposing teams dugout.      

Brilliant move by Houston.  Have a bunch of no name relievers throw at guys, then have your frickin hitting coach challenge him to a fight.  A's lose Laureano, Houston (maybe) loses whoever the heck their hitting coach is.  Guess if they can't cheat, they'll just act like chumps instead.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, jctexan said:

Alex Cintron should absolutely get suspended but he's a bench coach. Even if the league suspends him half the year, nobody would notice or care. No matter what was said, Laureano should at least get a 10-15 game suspension. The league can't validate one of it's players running at the opposing teams dugout.      

You're talking about a 30-45 game suspension converted to the short season for running at a dugout.  No punches thrown either.  That seems excessive.  But we did see Joe Kelly get 8 games for not hitting an Astros player so who the heck knows.

17 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

weak. should of been 3. one series. (is that possible or is 5 minimum or something)

He broke a specific protocol the Players Association and MLB had agreed to this season.  How could it possibly be less?  He got a light suspension.  The coach should have been suspended for the rest of the season.  Not just 20 games in my opinion since the coach was the instigator and should have been the adult in the room.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
8 hours ago, Josean Pelota said:

Anyone else worried about his ROS numbers?  His peripherals, especially K rate, not great. 

Not at all worried.  I think he's one of the most underrated fantasy hitters in the game.  He steals, he can hit home runs and he's hitting in a prime spot for a very good offense.