NBC Sports Edge Forums

Greg Olsen 2020 Outlook

There's more than enough teams short on tight end talent that he should get a job.   Hard to draft him, but in the right situation he's a streamer i guess.    I would have to guess he looks at winning teams only at his age, he's not in this for money i imagine.    

Houston maybe?   He doesn't have to be a big piece there.   Buffalo likes all ex Panthers, and he could be a Frank Gore type of bridge while Knox evolves.   Patriots certainly need TE help.    

11 hours ago, BrianM said:

There's more than enough teams short on tight end talent that he should get a job.   Hard to draft him, but in the right situation he's a streamer i guess.    I would have to guess he looks at winning teams only at his age, he's not in this for money i imagine.    

Houston maybe?   He doesn't have to be a big piece there.   Buffalo likes all ex Panthers, and he could be a Frank Gore type of bridge while Knox evolves.   Patriots certainly need TE help.    

As a Fins fan I hate the Patriots but it makes sense if he would look there. Definitely help Brady out if he stays.  

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

14 hours ago, Big Nate said:

As a Fins fan I hate the Patriots but it makes sense if he would look there. Definitely help Brady out if he stays.  

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Think he definitely could end up here if Brady stays

He's been oft-injured and a shell of himself the last few years, so I want no part of him no matter where he goes. I think he goes undrafted unless he goes to the Pats with Brady or the Saints and people buy somewhat into the hype.

This is coming from a Carolina fan.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Greg Olsen 2020 Outlook
  • 3 weeks later...

No thanks at all to Olsen.  Currently ranked TE24 on FantasyPros is anyone really drafting him?  I guess you could use your last pick on him as a dart throw that he rekindles some magic from his younger years.  Even if I punt the TE position and looking to grab one or two late, upside is the name of the game there and Olsen offers virtually zero.  

20 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Yes, but he is Seattle TE 

Which means, going by last year's numbers, less than 350 yards per person (4 TEs).

The depth chart for 2020 shows more TEs than cheerleaders. Which is fine, but for fantasy purposes I'm not sure that's going to be great, and I don't think a 35 yo guy is going to shine in that environment.

Seattle TE's have been used heavily. . Dissly was a HUGE free agent pick up until he was injured twice.  Holister,  the 3rd string TE had big weeks after Dissly went down.

Olsen is the starter now, and Dissly is still not 100%.    I expect Olsen to have an immediate impact. He is a big target and will be consistent every week. He will put up better numbers than most people realize,  IMO.

I actually have no issue drafting him as a TE 2.  A great streamer otherwise.

Edited by Sivaro
  • 2 months later...

Olsen has been mostly an afterthought for me but I noticed a few things that have me at least considering him.  Olsen, in a fluctuating offense, held up to a TE13 finish, with two missed games.    Studly?  No, but you could do worse.   

If you streamed Will Dissly or Jacob Hollister last year, you ended up with a pretty decent tight end.  Dissly only played four games but had 3 TD's, and Hollister had 9.4 PPG.   Studly?   No, but serviceable.

So........in theory, does a guy like Olsen, who's much more talented than Dissly or Hollister, do a little bit better working with Russell Wilson in an offense without a ton of pass catchers?   Could he sneak in as a top 10 TE in PPG?  Russell used his TE's a lot, now he has a better one.   

3 hours ago, BrianM said:

Olsen has been mostly an afterthought for me but I noticed a few things that have me at least considering him.  Olsen, in a fluctuating offense, held up to a TE13 finish, with two missed games.    Studly?  No, but you could do worse.   

If you streamed Will Dissly or Jacob Hollister last year, you ended up with a pretty decent tight end.  Dissly only played four games but had 3 TD's, and Hollister had 9.4 PPG.   Studly?   No, but serviceable.

So........in theory, does a guy like Olsen, who's much more talented than Dissly or Hollister, do a little bit better working with Russell Wilson in an offense without a ton of pass catchers?   Could he sneak in as a top 10 TE in PPG?  Russell used his TE's a lot, now he has a better one.   

Dissly actually played 6 games and had 4 TDs, though one of those games he was injured in the first half with 1 target and 0 catches. If that game is discarded, Dissly was on a 16 game pace of 74-838-13 which would have made him the overall TE2 last season.

Consider the yards/target and TD/target for all TEs with Russell Wilson (minimum 40 targets)

Dissly: 10.2 yds/tgt .15 TD/tgt

Luke Wilson: 8.2 yds/tgt .08 TD/tgt

Jimmy Graham: 7.7 yds/tgt .07 TD/tgt

Nick Vannett: 6.9 yds/tgt .06 TD/tgt

Hollister: 6.9 yds/tgt .05 TD/tgt

Zach Miller: 6.8 yds/tgt .05 TD/tgt

Cooper Helfet: 6.8 yds/tgt .04 TD/tgt

Granted the sample size with Dissly is still very small (10 games, 41 targets) but the efficiency is off the charts. I think Dissly has been quite a bit better than serviceable. Olsen would have been better than Dissly in his prime but it's harder to say now at age 35, though Dissly is also coming off an Achilles tear. 

If both enjoy good health, I bet neither Olsen or Dissly end up being viable fantasy starters. I think they'll be a very nice tandem for Russell Wilson in real football but there just won't be enough targets for either one. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, BrianM said:

Other than the obvious age concern with Olsen I think the biggest thing to worry about is opportunity. Metcalf is going to further develop as a route runner and he has the size to be a complete monster in the redzone. I see his targets going up there at the expense of the TE position. And of course the running at the goalline will increase as Carson and Penny get healthier.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Am I crazy in thinking Greg Olsen ROS is a safer play then other low end TE1s like Hayden Hurst or Dalton Shultz? I think he's firmly going to see the third most targets on the "Let Russ Cook" Seahawks offense that will be among the top 5 scoring offenses in the league. Will Dissly and Jacob Hollister appear to be non factors and Russ loves throwing to tight ends unlike Matt Ryan who barely seems to look at Hurst's direction unless the play is called specifically for him. Plus both Hurst and Shultz are competing with Gage and Lamb/Gallop for the third option role.

Am I crazy in thinking better days ahead for Olsen? Perhaps 2019 Dissly numbers once coverage rolls to DK and Lockett?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...