NBC Sports Edge Forums

Talking about picks 300+

https://nfc.shgn.com/adp/baseball

I filtered just the month of January.  Some I like...

Corey Dickerson (299) ok I cheated

Pablo Lopez (318)

Evan White (338)

Teoscar Hernandez (345)

Josh James (360)

Tyler Beede (368)

Victor Caratini (371)

Mauricio Dubon (377)

Freddy Peralta (392)

Matt Shoemaker (422)

Drew Pomeranz (433)

Shed Long (453)

Patrick Sandoval (481)

Kyle Wright (500)

Austin Nola (515) 

• Like 3

Jorge Mateo (Out of Options, will likely be on an MLB roster)

Austin Hays (Had injuries effect his last 2 season, flashed promise in cup of coffee)

Gregory Polanco (now his 2nd season removed from shoulder surgery)

Maikel Franco (Royals saying they fixed issues with his swing, probably a long shot but his power/contact profile makes it worth noting)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

Jorge Mateo (Out of Options, will likely be on an MLB roster)

Austin Hays (Had injuries effect his last 2 season, flashed promise in cup of coffee)

Gregory Polanco (now his 2nd season removed from shoulder surgery)

Maikel Franco (Royals saying they fixed issues with his swing, probably a long shot but his power/contact profile makes it worth noting)

Totally forgot about Polanco. If he can get back in the swing of things, and play a full season, he surely has 25/80/20 potential. Nice ceiling.

Hunter Pence (577) - Currently a free agent but he was a monster last year when he played (18 HR, 6 SB, .297 AVG, .358 OBP) in under 300 AB. If he signs anywhere that will give him playing time his ADP should skyrocket. Would think he will get a shot somewhere, maybe after some injuries start occurring.

Mike Ford (542) - Showed very well in limited ABs last year, could end up in a strong side of a rotation at 1B / DH. LHH in elite lineup at Yankee Stadium, sign me up. Looks like this year's version of Luke Voit.

Bonus:

Cedric Mullins (843) - If you're in a 700 player league, this is your guy. In all seriousness, if he can get playing time he has 10 HR / 30 SB potential, albeit will probably be horrible at everything else.

• Like 1

Lane Thomas - Free doesn’t even cover it with a  > 700 ADP. My rationale:

1) His competition is trash assuming Carlson starts in minors. Chance to be starting CF with good spring esp bc plays good defense.

2) Huge 2018 power growth (not happy fun ball related). Fractured wrist last year can explain dip.

3) Hard contact excellent. 

4) Lower raking can be explained by age. Still top 10 in the system.

Saw him in AFL and ball really jumped off the bat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Coach George said:

Dylan Cease

Dellin Betances

Ender Inciarte

Taijuan Walker (unsigned)

Emmanuel Clase

What do you think Ender's path to PT is? Is this the year Markakis falls off? If so, does he have the arm for corner OF?

5 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

What do you think Ender's path to PT is? Is this the year Markakis falls off? If so, does he have the arm for corner OF?

Ender's path continues to be CF with Acuña moving to RF in the event Markakis falls flat.  Likewise, should something happen to Ozuna Acuña would shift to left with Ender playing CF.  If something happens to Acuña then Ender plays CF.

I guess what I'm saying is I really only see him playing CF barring an emergency situation.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

One guy gets hurt is very possible. 4th OF generally ends up playing a good amount often. Feel like Ender will have some useful stretches.

How bout Kyle Lewis in SEA? The BB/K ratio is beyond worrisome, and it would seem the knee stuff zapped his speed, but he made a pretty big leap from AA to MLB last sept and seemed to more hold his own. I would have to think he is assured a starting OF spot as long as ST goes OK?

9 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

How bout Kyle Lewis in SEA? The BB/K ratio is beyond worrisome, and it would seem the knee stuff zapped his speed, but he made a pretty big leap from AA to MLB last sept and seemed to more hold his own. I would have to think he is assured a starting OF spot as long as ST goes OK?

I think he already had one but with Haniger our both he and Fraley should for sure start. I wouldn’t read anything into the sample size with good (power) or bad (strikeouts). My issue is that when you take away the September the profile looks more bad the good. Worth a spec for sure though.

3 hours ago, Magoo said:

I think he already had one but with Haniger our both he and Fraley should for sure start. I wouldn’t read anything into the sample size with good (power) or bad (strikeouts). My issue is that when you take away the September the profile looks more bad the good. Worth a spec for sure though.

Hasn't he been injured most of his pro career thus far?

Do we know that struggle to translate his raw power are hitting related or health related? Or is the Health track record itself the red flag?

18 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Definitely going to take a late round flyer on him  

Edited by hockeyfan77

With an ADP of 673 this is more of a deep league deep sleeper, but I’m keeping an eye on Jaylin Davis, outfielder for San Fran. I think there’s a chance he wins the everyday centerfielder job there as they take a look at some of their young guys. He hit 36 HRs and stole 11 bags last year in 143 games over 3 levels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

Hasn't he been injured most of his pro career thus far?

Do we know that struggle to translate his raw power are hitting related or health related? Or is the Health track record itself the red flag?

It’s fair. I don’t necessarily knock him for the health as much as him not being ready imo. I’m just not biting on a small September unless your name is Lane Thomas.

On 2/1/2020 at 8:23 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

Small sample but for guys with 40 or more batted balls, he was 6th in FB/LD exit velo(behind Gallo, Sano, Judge, Cruz, K.Cron) and number ONE in barrels/PA%. Being able to smoke the ball doesn’t really need many PA’s to show that skill either. If he can get his K/BB closer to what it was in AA then there’s big time breakout potential. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Small sample but for guys with 40 or more batted balls, he was 6th in FB/LD exit velo(behind Gallo, Sano, Judge, Cruz, K.Cron) and number ONE in barrels/PA%. Being able to smoke the ball doesn’t really need many PA’s to show that skill either. If he can get his K/BB closer to what it was in AA then there’s big time breakout potential. 

Yeah that was the main reason I listed him, those noisy batted ball metrics. And that he will get every chance to secure full time ABs.

The AA numbers last year were a little messy, 152 Ks in 457 ABs...but yeah, at least he did walk some with 56 BB.

35 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah that was the main reason I listed him, those noisy batted ball metrics. And that he will get every chance to secure full time ABs.

The AA numbers last year were a little messy, 152 Ks in 457 ABs...but yeah, at least he did walk some with 56 BB.

He did a respectable job holding his own considering the aggressive promotion(skipping AAA). Somehow still hit .268 with that horrible K rate, but an OBP under .300 has to change. Lewis/Rodriguez/Kelenic could be a monster OF in a couple years. He wasn't really on my radar until your post, good call. 

Rosterresource has Tom Murphy hitting cleanup in that lineup and no other catcher on the roster, which is interesting. A catcher hitting 4th is pretty rare, especially at his cost. He needs to trim that K rate as well though.