NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dak Prescott 2020 Outlook

huh-huh. Go for it buddy. Dude did not exactly play his way into an elite contract. Let's see how he does in NY (either team) for instance. Put him on any team - this is real tough talk considering scoreboard. If I were DAL I'd make other arrangements if this is how it's going to be...

• Speaking Thursday, impending free agent Dak Prescott said he's "disappointed" a deal hasn't already been done.

"I’m a little disappointed that it hasn’t, but that’s part of it," was Prescott's exact quote. Prescott also pointedly told reporters he will not be training in Dallas this offseason. "Report that," Prescott said. "Be sure to report that." Prescott strongly hinted he did not want to be franchise tagged. "I don’t think any of that is necessary," Prescott said. "But that’s business. That’s all calculated. That’s all on them." It's safe to say Prescott appears to be gearing up for a game of hardball.

Jan 30, 2020, 8:17 PM ET

•  
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're talking in hindsight.  How often to QBs especailly ones with good O-lines sustain season ending injuries?  Let alone an injury this bad?   How was Dak being greedy and Jerry Jones not

12 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

huh-huh. Go for it buddy. Dude did not exactly play his way into an elite contract. Let's see how he does in NY (either team) for instance. Put him on any team - this is real tough talk considering scoreboard. If I were DAL I'd make other arrangements if this is how it's going to be...

• Speaking Thursday, impending free agent Dak Prescott said he's "disappointed" a deal hasn't already been done.

"I’m a little disappointed that it hasn’t, but that’s part of it," was Prescott's exact quote. Prescott also pointedly told reporters he will not be training in Dallas this offseason. "Report that," Prescott said. "Be sure to report that." Prescott strongly hinted he did not want to be franchise tagged. "I don’t think any of that is necessary," Prescott said. "But that’s business. That’s all calculated. That’s all on them." It's safe to say Prescott appears to be gearing up for a game of hardball.

Jan 30, 2020, 8:17 PM ET

•  

This is why they should have fired Garrett last year.   Would have given them a year with a new coach to see how Dak does.  Might have given them more clarity on his situation.  And Cooper's to a degree.

20 minutes ago, K197040 said:

This is why they should have fired Garrett last year.   Would have given them a year with a new coach to see how Dak does.  Might have given them more clarity on his situation.  And Cooper's to a degree.

I think us fans can all agree we all wish Garrett was gone years ago.    But I'm not sure JG held Dak back at all in 2019, as far as his progression as a player. If anything, JG/Kellon finally opened it up a bit offensively.  Many times to their own detriment 

That being said, with the clear flaws in Dak's game that i've seen in his career so far, i told myself my main thing i had to see from Dak in 2019 was definite improvement.  IMO, i got that pretty clearly.   Most importantly, his footwork, release, and reads improved.  I think he still needs to work more on his reads and throwing to WR's open, but there is no doubt his footwork and release changed and improved.   We can thank John Kitna and even Kellon Moore for a lot of that. (Sure wish Kitna would have stuck around).

I'm not ever going to be convinced that Dak is going to be an elite QB, which I'm sure you will agree with.  But i do believe he's improving and showing me enough to the point i know this team can win a lot of games with Dak under center, AND capable coaching.  Dak improved statistically across the board in every category, except a dip from 67% comp to 65%. Let's also not forget Dallas leading the league in drops.  WR's flat out have to get and do better.

I remember watching Russell Wilson early on go on a similar career arc such as we see with Dak.  NO ONE FREAK OUT!!!  I'm not saying Dak is Russ, he's not.  I think Russ throws one of the best balls in the game honestly.  But the fact remains, his numbers are similar to Dak's and Russ simply continued to improve.  I think Dak continues to improve and I'm of the belief you can win games with this guy under center.

I think i'd like to see Dak signed to a 5/6 year deal at around 35 per.  Where the guaranteed money falls will be the real kicker of it all.  If Dallas doesn't want to pay Dak that per year and offer the extension, then i simply don't know exactly what they want to be or attempt to do in what i consider a window of winning opportunity.  If Dallas screwed up anywhere recently, its two things:  they should have paid/extended Cooper the year the traded for him  2.) They shouldn't have paid Zeke

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BlakeP42 said:

But I'm not sure JG held Dak back at all in 2019, as far as his progression as a player. If anything, JG/Kellon finally opened it up a bit offensively.  Many times to their own detriment 

I'm not ever going to be convinced that Dak is going to be an elite QB, which I'm sure you will agree with.  But i do believe he's improving and showing me enough to the point i know this team can win a lot of games with Dak under center, AND capable coaching.  Dak improved statistically across the board in every category, except a dip from 67% comp to 65%. Let's also not forget Dallas leading the league in drops.  WR's flat out have to get and do better.

I remember watching Russell Wilson early on go on a similar career arc such as we see with Dak.  NO ONE FREAK OUT!!!  I'm not saying Dak is Russ, he's not.  I think Russ throws one of the best balls in the game honestly.  But the fact remains, his numbers are similar to Dak's and Russ simply continued to improve.  I think Dak continues to improve and I'm of the belief you can win games with this guy under center.

I think i'd like to see Dak signed to a 5/6 year deal at around 35 per.  Where the guaranteed money falls will be the real kicker of it all.  If Dallas doesn't want to pay Dak that per year and offer the extension, then i simply don't know exactly what they want to be or attempt to do in what i consider a window of winning opportunity.  If Dallas screwed up anywhere recently, its two things:  they should have paid/extended Cooper the year the traded for him  2.) They shouldn't have paid Zeke

Yeah...I agree that Moore opened up the game for Dak and not saying JG held him back.  But I think it would have been more informative to see Dak with McCarthy for a full year.

And 100% on the drops.   Cooper is Cooper but then to add another talented WR with the same issue is a lot to overcome.  I think issue becomes even more problematic when you combine the drops (some of them easy) with Dak not being able to consistently hit them in stride.  And often putting the ball too high. 

The Zeke signing was a terrible move.  

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, K197040 said:

Yeah...I agree that Moore opened up the game for Dak and not saying JG held him back.  But I think it would have been more informative to see Dak with McCarthy for a full year.

And 100% on the drops.   Cooper is Cooper but then to add another talented WR with the same issue is a lot to overcome.  I think issue becomes even more problematic when you combine the drops (some of them easy) with Dak not being able to consistently hit them in stride.  And often putting the ball too high. 

The Zeke signing was a terrible move.  

Dak's problem in the passing game has been the same every season. He is terrified to turn the ball over on a pick. He does not throw the ball until he SEES the wr is open. The results are the ball arrives late, he misses the spot, forces the pass catcher to make multiple adjustments or gives the defender a chance to make a play. Amari helps him because A healthy Amari gets a massive amount of separation which makes it easier for Dak to make the throw.

He limits his and the pass catchers success for completions and big plays.

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 2
43 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Dak's problem in the passing game has been the same every season. He is terrified to turn the ball over on a pick. He does not throw the ball until he SEES the wr is open. The results are the ball arrives late, he misses the spot, forces the pass catcher to make multiple adjustments or gives the defender a chance to make a play. Amari helps him because A healthy Amari gets a massive amount of separation which makes it easier for Dak to make the throw.

Good thoughts here and this part of Dak's game and its either continued improvement or not will be key to his overall ceiling.  I think he did throw a better deep ball at times this year and Kellon let this offense uncork it a bit more then recent years. Dak's Y/A has gone up in consecutive years from 6, to 7 to 8.2 in 2019.  So i believe he's pushing the ball more then he was previously before Kellon took over.     But Dak's reads and his overall ability to throw guys open is something he will need to improve upon and you said it well here.  Even the high drop totals partly fall on Dak no doubt about it.  I think he's still a bit risk averse as well from starting his NFL career in the Garrett led 12 personnel unimaginative BS that Dallas stuck with for far too long.  I'm def very curious as to what Dak we see in 2020.  Sounds like Dallas has their hands full though with his contract situation, so who knows whats to come i guess.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Exactly on the bolded.  If they are committed to Dak (which I think they are), then signing Cooper is a must.  

Also, one thing I've noticed is that when Dak throws on the run, he seems more accurate than when he's in the pocket. 

Edited by K197040
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, hoppychokes said:

So much for all the talking heads that were commenting on Daks professionalism of practicing without a contract while Zeke sat.

I think the Cowboys have to franchise tag Dak next year, despite his comments.

Franchising him was always going to happen in my opinion. There really isn't a lot to lose by franchising him for two years and hoping they win a SB during that time or he shows he is an elite QB. Unless he actually sits out.

31 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

If you franchise him in potentially a year where Mahomes gets possibly a $40M contract a franchise tender could be close to $30M. Is Dak Prescott a $30M or even $25M QB???!?!??

200.webp?cid=790b76118a59aa6b8c9372d8bef

The 1yr money is not the problem . it's the locked in long term contract money that can cripple your team if you are not sold on him being your QB of the future. 

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, dashoe said:

The 1yr money is not the problem . it's the locked in long term contract money that can cripple your team if you are not sold on him being your QB of the future. 

Yeah OK I can see that - but why not just get a cheap(er) FA, draft another rook QB to groom and move on. This team other than QB and a couple pieces on D is ready to rock now. Gallup is for real as a complement to Cooper, Jarwin is an intriguing option at TE. 

When push comes to shove - Dak throws to Jason Witten for 6 yards. That's his solution. There are other QBs that can do that for a lot less.

6 hours ago, BlakeP42 said:

Good thoughts here and this part of Dak's game and its either continued improvement or not will be key to his overall ceiling.  I think he did throw a better deep ball at times this year and Kellon let this offense uncork it a bit more then recent years. Dak's Y/A has gone up in consecutive years from 6, to 7 to 8.2 in 2019.  So i believe he's pushing the ball more then he was previously before Kellon took over.     But Dak's reads and his overall ability to throw guys open is something he will need to improve upon and you said it well here.  Even the high drop totals partly fall on Dak no doubt about it.  I think he's still a bit risk averse as well from starting his NFL career in the Garrett led 12 personnel unimaginative BS that Dallas stuck with for far too long.  I'm def very curious as to what Dak we see in 2020.  Sounds like Dallas has their hands full though with his contract situation, so who knows whats to come i guess.

I think Dak is an above avg QB as long as you minimize his weaknesses and they have the pieces to do so.  I think Dallas fans expect him to be a stud and have been spoiled by the on field heroics and go for it all even when it fails instincts of Romo. A lot of people loved Romo for his go for it attitude and a lot hated him for his mistakes but no one ever questioned that he didnt play to win until the end and put it all out on the field every Sunday.

I think perception wise Dak plays scared at times and the lack of aggression or killer instinct makes you question if he puts it all on the line every Sunday.; which is why to me he is currently a glorified game manager. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

If you franchise him in potentially a year where Mahomes gets possibly a $40M contract a franchise tender could be close to $30M. Is Dak Prescott a $30M or even $25M QB???!?!??

200.webp?cid=790b76118a59aa6b8c9372d8bef

Do you think Dak would sign 25 million? Bortles got 69 million for three years including signing and made 35 million in the first year...

Its just the market for QBs.

• 2 months later...

Huge off season winner.  First the team hires pass happy McCarthy as HC and retains OC Kellen Moore.  Then DAL drafts arguably the #1 WR in the loaded 2020 WR class.  With Watson losing DeAndre, Dak's the clear #3 QB on my board after Mahomes and Lamar.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, J.T. Marlin said:

Huge off season winner.  First the team hires pass happy McCarthy as HC and retains OC Kellen Moore.  Then DAL drafts arguably the #1 WR in the loaded 2020 WR class.  With Watson losing DeAndre, Dak's the clear #3 QB on my board after Mahomes and Lamar.

Not a crazy notion - man, that offense is loaded.

49 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Not a crazy notion - man, that offense is loaded.

For sure.

My only concern from a fantasy prospective is that the defense on paper looks good and they certainly don't mind feeding Zeke with a lead.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

For sure.

My only concern from a fantasy prospective is that the defense on paper looks good and they certainly don't mind feeding Zeke with a lead.

We don't know going forward.  That was with Garret as HC.  I believe that McCarthy was the most pass-happy play caller in the red zone during his time in GB.  There are 166 targets missing from the Cobb and Witten departures.  Those targets going to Cooper, Gallup, CeeDee and Jarwin should have a big positive impact on Dak's overall #'s.

Also, I'm not so sure about their defense being better.  Unless some of these rookies come in and play lights out, it should be worse.  Losing CB Byron Jones and DE Quinn were huge blows to their D.  They simply couldn't pay them with the contracts given out to the O-line, Zeke, Cooper and upcoming monster to Dak.

I think this team is going to take a page from the KC playbook and try to outscore teams in 2020, which will be a big boon for fantasy value of all the DAL skill positions.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Meh.  How high are you willing to take him in a redraft league?  Hype will be and is already booming.

Are you willing to drink the Kool-aid or wait in your draft at QB?

I like Dak but I'm probably going to wait on drafting @ QB

1 hour ago, J.T. Marlin said:

We don't know going forward.  That was with Garret as HC.  I believe that McCarthy was the most pass-happy play caller in the red zone during his time in GB.  There are 166 targets missing from the Cobb and Witten departures.  Those targets going to Cooper, Gallup, CeeDee and Jarwin should have a big positive impact on Dak's overall #'s.

Also, I'm not so sure about their defense being better.  Unless some of these rookies come in and play lights out, it should be worse.  Losing CB Byron Jones and DE Quinn were huge blows to their D.  They simply couldn't pay them with the contracts given out to the O-line, Zeke, Cooper and upcoming monster to Dak.

I think this team is going to take a page from the KC playbook and try to outscore teams in 2020, which will be a big boon for fantasy value of all the DAL skill positions.

Losing Quinn and Jones does hurt, but they also signed McCoy and Poe from Carolina and drafted Diggs.  And who know what they get from Aldon Smith and Randy Grergoy in addition to Lawrence and that linebacking corps?  It's potentially a very talented unit, admittedly with some risk/reward potential.

McCarthy's tendencies with Rodgers and a varying degree of quality GB backs may not tell the tale of what he does with Zeke and this line, but if the defense does keep the scores lower and they build leads, I'm just saying it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know how to salt that game away.

I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but certainly a possibility that I'm thinking about.

19 hours ago, BleachyBlonde said:

Simple: If Dak cannot succeed with all of the offensive weapons he has to work with something is wrong and Jerry Jones is going to have a stroke.

I mean for fantasy., he succeeded last year.   I'm a Cowboys fan but I'm fine if they go 8-8 as long as I get fantasy production out of whichever player I have on my team.

And I don't wish harm on anyone but really...Jerry stroking out might be better for the team anyway.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, K197040 said:

I mean for fantasy., he succeeded last year.   I'm a Cowboys fan but I'm fine if they go 8-8 as long as I get fantasy production out of whichever player I have on my team.

And I don't wish harm on anyone but really...Jerry stroking out might be better for the team anyway.

I have got to predict that the Cowboys would have a better record than 8-8 they had in the 2019/20 season. I think the addition of CeeDee opens up a lot of possibilities for the WR's in Dallas. I of course would not wish a stroke on Jerry Jones or anyone.