NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ian Thomas 2020 Outlook

Now that Olsen and Carolina have finally parted ways, it's time for Ian Thomas to step into the starting role and afford FFBall more juice at the TE position.

6’4” 260lbs

2018 Combine:

40 = 4.74s (tied for 5th fastest at his position)

36” Vertical (3rd at his position)

3rd heaviest in his class (could lend itself to the belief he is/will be one of the better inline blocking TEs from his class)

2nd longest broad jump (this plus his Vert combined, display good explosion)

Ranked as 2nd best JuCo TE in the Nation his sophomore year. Short 2yr stint at Indiana, combined with a Senior year filled with injuries, left some question marks and gave reason for his being only the 6th TE off the board.

When thrust into a starting role week 16 of 2018, Thomas produced a 4/48/1 stat line on 5 targets. Thomas again came through when the role was all his in week 14 of 2019, with 5/57/1 on 10 targets. A bit of a stretch, but extrapolating Olsen + Thomas' stats over the 2019 season (combined) the starting Carolina TE would have been the 8th overall TE in PPR with 153pts. IMHO Thomas can do better than that with the job to himself.

Indiana Highlights (sorry for the adds):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4QEDjSahBo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF_CgpnRBnM

53 minutes ago, Yanksfan06 said:

Will need to survive FA and the draft in order to get excited. Could easily see them sign Hooper to replace Olsen.

Of course nothing is written in stone, but...

Thomas was drafted in 2018 with every intent that he be the heir apparent. It should be his job to lose.

2018 Rotoballer: https://www.rotoballer.com/ian-thomas-rookie-recap-and-dynasty-outlook/606237

"With their second pick of the 2018 NFL Draft, the Carolina Panthers' selected former Indiana Hoosier, Ian Thomas, the potential heir to their veteran tight end Greg Olsen. Of the 14 rookie tight ends selected in the 2018 NFL Draft, Thomas was selected by the Carolina Panthers as the sixth tight end off the board. In a rookie class with several potential mismatch tight ends available, Thomas is no exception. At 6'4" 260 pounds, he offers impressive agility and speed for someone of his size, and is close to Olsen who is 6'5" 255 pounds."

Fantasy Pros: "Without Cam Newton for the bulk of the year, the Panthers' tight end position was an overall dud in fantasy. Assuming Greg Olsen and the Panthers part ways, Thomas would be in line to enter 2020 as the team's TE1. Buy him low in dynasty."

Rotoviz article from July 2019, which should carry even more weight now that Olsen is gone: https://www.rotoviz.com/2019/07/theres-no-doubting-thomas-why-you-need-to-be-acquiring-ian-thomas-now/

IMHO there is zero reasoning behind paying big $ in FA and/or high draft capital for a TE . They'll pay for depth not additional "starter" $.

...you snooze, you lose :shrug:

• 2 months later...

What’s the buzz on Ian Thomas now?

Olsen gone in free agency, draft just finished and no TE added, only free agents out there are Delanie Walker and Jordan Reed. I suppose the last stumbling block for Thomas to be the TE1 in this possibly dynamic new offense would be to avoid a Panthers’ trade for a guy like OJ Howard, Gerald Everett, or even Evan Engram, who has been subject of trade discussions recently to my surprise. 

I got offered Thomas for a 3rd in dynasty, so I’m trying to gauge what you think his likelihood of being the TE1 going into 2020 is and his likelihood of succeeding in the new offense there that has major upside potential?

1 hour ago, LostAtSea said:

I got offered Thomas for a 3rd in dynasty, so I’m trying to gauge what you think his likelihood of being the TE1 going into 2020 is and his likelihood of succeeding in the new offense there that has major upside potential?

I don't think he has much competition at the TE position, but last year most of the passing attempts went to McCaffrey and DJ (and Samuel), and then they added Robby "Nut in her eye" Anderson. Olsen got just under 600 yards, and I'm not sure there's room for much more there. 

Will he be the Carolina TE1? That seems sure.
Will he be a TE1 overall? That'll be borderline, I think.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

No interest in him as anything more than a waiver streamer. Way too many mouths to feed in that offense regardless of it being high volume. Will be impossible to predict the weeks that he has good games. I'd much rather have Jonnu or Doyle if I'm targeting a late round TE.

Edited by paulwall29
  • 2 months later...

My TE strategy this year is to go all in on Ian Thomas after aggressively going after Kelce and Kittle. 

With Carolina's decimated defense and a projected uptempo offense with the new coaching staff, there will be plenty of targets to go around. I think Robby Anderson is the real loser in this offense, not Ian Thomas over the middle as a quick outlet for Teddy. 

• Like 1

Teddy never been known as a deep ball home run guy. He's a chain mover that will struggle to see 25 TD's. 

If he does throw TD's though I'd imagine they'd be from inside the 10 to a big target vs trying to fit a very small window to a speedster. 

50 / 600 / 7 is a viable TE and I bet Ian is capable of that if he can thrive in the starter role and he and teddy stay healthy. 

I just don't think Teddy is good. Viks TEs didn't fare any better with him vs Bradford, and Saints TEs were far more effective with Brees. Plus Carolina has CMC and Moore to soak up a lot of short depth targets. Thomas seems like JAG to me, with a mediocre QB and a lot of competition for looks. Coaching is a ? but jumping from college is usually unsuccessful and I don't think Rhule will be an exception. I'd rather take a shot with Jonnu or Herndon.

I agree that Jonnu is a great option because he has proved it on the field more. He is also stepping into a much larger target share with Delanie Walker gone. 

Looking purely at pass attempts and game script, the Titans and Panthers are going to be night and day. How many targets can Jonnu really expect this season vs. Thomas? Fantasy is all about opportunity first and foremost. 

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting player this year. Like many late picks, just hoping for some successful dart throws. Seems like okay an player to target as a backup TE for your team, and maybe he works his way into the lineup.

• 3 weeks later...

Is a hyper extended toe "turf Toe"? Does a clean MRI mean anything with regards to Turf Toe?

Any Doctors in the house?

How long does it take for a hyperextended toe to heal?
A sprained toe usually takes about three to six weeks to fully heal. The more severe your sprain is, the longer you'll need to allow for recovery. Try to keep your toe taped for about four weeks, though your doctor can give you more specific guidelines.
Edited by mar1kle