NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 Fantasy Baseball League Settings Thread

My favorite time of the year - the Off-season.

I'm in need of some ADVICE and this is the perfect thread for it.

What's your favorite league settings?

What's the most competitive style you've ever played in?

What's the funnest league settings you've played in?

FOR ME, I upped my leagues a bit last year. I'm looking to make a similar jump this year.

I strive for the most skill-based league possible. Obviously there is inherent luck always in fantasy sports, but I try to eliminate the one week championships, or the 'damn my pitcher got injured and I lost my league' type feel.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I'm the commissioner of the league, I let everyone know if the season ends prematurely, no prize for anyone and I allow trades.   If I'm a competitive owner trying to win a championship i

Seems fine honestly. Might be better than wins or qs alone.

If it is a keeper league what is the problem?   But what is the problem in any format?  Let the owners manage their own teams and make that decision.  That's the whole point of fantasy baseball in the

Do auction, roto, preferably AL or NL only, limit waivers to FAAB acquisitions ONLY that runs bi-weekly (to help eliminate constant streaming) and incorporate keepers as well. This is about as good as I’ve seen in terms of settings to help eliminate the “luck” aspect and truly show who the best teams are. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sonny_D said:

Do auction, roto, preferably AL or NL only, limit waivers to FAAB acquisitions ONLY that runs bi-weekly (to help eliminate constant streaming) and incorporate keepers as well. This is about as good as I’ve seen in terms of settings to help eliminate the “luck” aspect and truly show who the best teams are. 

Love it, but why AL or NL only? Couldn't the depression of rosters be set with deeper rosters/more teams?

4 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

Love it, but why AL or NL only? Couldn't the depression of rosters be set with deeper rosters/more teams?

I like the challenge of drafting deep and speculating on minor leaguers, etc. It’s  a real challenge to fill a complete roster, especially when injuries hit. Difficult to get “lucky” in that type of format. By then again, our league is a 10 teamer. 

But mixed league would be just as good. 

Does anyone do wins+QS as a stat? We moved to QS over wins years ago, but with the way the game has changes, QS are becoming more rare now too. Neither stat is good but I wonder if a combo would work...

As far as the original post, we don't do anything spectacular (5x5 h2h with OBP and QS).

2 hours ago, Sonny_D said:

I like the challenge of drafting deep and speculating on minor leaguers, etc. It’s  a real challenge to fill a complete roster, especially when injuries hit. Difficult to get “lucky” in that type of format. By then again, our league is a 10 teamer. 

But mixed league would be just as good. 

I once played in a 14 team NL only team with deep rosters..

Sounds like a challenge.  But it actually doesn't remove luck, instead it increases the luck factor.  A few injuries and your dead. Nobody around to even pick up.  An unexpected rookie breakout on your team?  That's huge.

best league settings are Auction/Roto 12-14 teams/standard rosters.  Daily moves.  Weekly Pickups.  

22 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Daily moves.  Weekly Pickups.  

I like this. 

Weekly moves limit streaming, daily moves require the league to be there everyday and rewards those who make interesting game to game decisions. 

9 hours ago, Sonny_D said:

Yes, the league I've been running for about 8 years now has done this for the last 3. We initially tried it at weekly 4 years ago but we determined it was too long, so we changed to biweekly (adds Sunday and Wednesday night go into effect Monday and Thursday). I love this setting as it eliminates any of the bias related to someone who just happened to check their phone at the right time. We play in Yahoo, and a big setting change for us was the ability to add players straight to the DL as that was the one weakness with this setting as you couldn't add an injured player and then add someone else in the same period before this.

Overall, it definitely eliminates luck and adds strategy every week. This should work in just about any league setting (ours is roto).

• Like 1
23 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

I once played in a 14 team NL only team with deep rosters..

Sounds like a challenge.  But it actually doesn't remove luck, instead it increases the luck factor.  A few injuries and your dead. Nobody around to even pick up.  An unexpected rookie breakout on your team?  That's huge.

best league settings are Auction/Roto 12-14 teams/standard rosters.  Daily moves.  Weekly Pickups.  

Yeah 14 team in an Only league is way too difficult and like you said, one or two injuries and you’re done. We’ve found that 10 team is the sweet spot in an Only league. 

Edited by Sonny_D

I personally hate Only leagues of any size. One (or more) of your better players gets dealt mid-season to the other league and you’re f——d. 

Much worse than someone getting lucky with a pickup imo, as this type of league has the ability to straight up take someone out of the race, no matter how skilled a manager they are. 

Edited by crafty
  • Like 1
On 11/27/2019 at 6:07 PM, 2ndCitySox said:

Does anyone do wins+QS as a stat? We moved to QS over wins years ago, but with the way the game has changes, QS are becoming more rare now too. Neither stat is good but I wonder if a combo would work...

As far as the original post, we don't do anything spectacular (5x5 h2h with OBP and QS).

We do wins + Modified quality start - a modified QS instead of being just your traditional 6ip 3ER or less is 5 with 2 or less, 6 or 7 with 3 or less and 8+ with 4 or less.  We like it although the "opener" trend hurts a bit although our league is only 12 - 14 owners with usually 7 starting pitchers on most teams, and the opener trend has not become so widespread that its having an issue on us.  

• Thanks 1

As far as league - for me its Auction Keeper Season-long Roto, have enough keepers that keepers matter.  The auction sets the contract price, have some sort of contract years expiration maybe 3-4 years - so there is turnover.   Have some sort of minor league component to it.  

I did a couple of dynasty leagues for the first time, I like the process of the deep minor league and player pool, but when you have no contracts no value - which is the case in most dynasty you just draft em and they are yours to keep, trade etc with no price attached, I think it becomes a little bit stale in terms of real activity.  I think there is more of what you see in the real game in the price-keeper (with some expiration)

• Like 1
21 hours ago, crafty said:

I personally hate Only leagues of any size. One (or more) of your better players gets dealt mid-season to the other league and you’re f——d. 

Much worse than someone getting lucky with a pickup imo, as this type of league has the ability to straight up take someone out of the race, no matter how skilled a manager they are. 

I would agree but I believe league settings can be arranged whereby if a player switches leagues their stats can still count.  And if players enter a league the commissioner can block people from picking  him up.

Another argument would be, you would need to account for the risk of your player getting traded and factor that into their draft pick ranking.  It's quite rare for contending teams to trade star players mid season for example.

22 hours ago, crafty said:

You still accumulate stats for that player ROS. That player, however, no longer becomes a keeper option. Didn’t realize there are leagues that no longer accumulate stats once a player is traded to the other league. That’s awful and makes no sense. 

1 hour ago, parrothead said:

As far as league - for me its Auction Keeper Season-long Roto, have enough keepers that keepers matter.  The auction sets the contract price, have some sort of contract years expiration maybe 3-4 years - so there is turnover.   Have some sort of minor league component to it.  

This is exactly what we do in our 10 team, auction, AL only. Player can only be kept for a max of 4 years. Salary goes up 10% for year 2. Year 3 another 10% increase m, but at this point, you have a choice to sign said player for 2 additional years at that price for what’s known as a “long term keeper.” Keeper salaries get paid into the league pot as real money. Max of 2 long term signings every year. This helps keep players cycling through the league. 

6 hours ago, parrothead said:

We do wins + Modified quality start - a modified QS instead of being just your traditional 6ip 3ER or less is 5 with 2 or less, 6 or 7 with 3 or less and 8+ with 4 or less.  We like it although the "opener" trend hurts a bit although our league is only 12 - 14 owners with usually 7 starting pitchers on most teams, and the opener trend has not become so widespread that its having an issue on us.  

Wow, I wonder if I can set our QS up like that? What site do you use? 

10 hours ago, Sonny_D said:

You still accumulate stats for that player ROS. That player, however, no longer becomes a keeper option. Didn’t realize there are leagues that no longer accumulate stats once a player is traded to the other league. That’s awful and makes no sense. 

11 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

I would agree but I believe league settings can be arranged whereby if a player switches leagues their stats can still count.  And if players enter a league the commissioner can block people from picking  him up.

Huh, I must have been in some very strange leagues the few times I tried it. Had no idea that wasn’t the norm. Lol, good to know 👍

19 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Wow, I wonder if I can set our QS up like that? What site do you use? 

Onroto and again this is why I love that site, so the year we were looking at making the change, they had W+QS and they also had Modified QS as an option, but not the MQS + Wins, so I emailed them about adding that for us and they did.  

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Sonny_D said:

This is exactly what we do in our 10 team, auction, AL only. Player can only be kept for a max of 4 years. Salary goes up 10% for year 2. Year 3 another 10% increase m, but at this point, you have a choice to sign said player for 2 additional years at that price for what’s known as a “long term keeper.” Keeper salaries get paid into the league pot as real money. Max of 2 long term signings every year. This helps keep players cycling through the league. 

Inflation is another good one, we really have 2 or 3 year keeper options, so Year 1 is when you get the guy through Auction or during the year through waivers, FAAB also dictates their salary.  Then if kept Year 2 its at same price.  Year 3 they have the option to make this their final year at again same price OR go 1.5 the value for 3rd year, which then would get them a 4th year at that 1.5 price they paid year 3.   I would be good with some automatic inflation like yours OR do like we do in my football league where each year a 1st year guy you tag as a Franchise keeper and keep him at same price but only for that year then he is back in the pool.  

The "standard" keeper pricing I've played with in several keeper leagues:

year 1 (the year they are drafted) "A" contract - price is auction or FAAB price (call it $x)

year 2 "B" contract - same price as year 1

year 3 "O" contract - option year - You can keep the player at the same price by converting "O" to "C", after which they go back in the pool.  OR you can sign the player to a long term extension, which will cost $5 additional for each year extended.  In other words you can have year 3 and 4 for $(x+5) annually.  Year 3, 4, 5 for $(x+10).  Year 3-6 for $(x+15), etc.  (Note that the contract goes from $x to the full amount immediately, it doesn't step up each year).  The contract becomes "C" (no extension), "Y" (1 year), "X" (2 years), "W" (3 years) etc.  After "C" or "Z" they go back into the pool.

(for reference, see this article under auction leagues - https://www.rotowire.com/baseball/advice/keeper-league.php)

Other price increase setups can be used, but it's always worth asking why use a different setup than the standard (and that's not rhetorical, often there are good reasons why, i.e. if you have inexperienced owners who may quit easily if a team is too strong long term, etc)

Edited by kenag122002
  • 1 month later...

Im thinking of starting s new league using just AL or NL . 12 teams 

I have the managers . Seems split so trying  to decide . Benefits of both roto and head to head . 

I played mainly in roto leagues . Played in one very low keyed head to head . I do prefer roto especially using both leagues. Thoughts on doing a single head to  head league and auction style three year keeper . I’ve done single 12 team leagues . Have to really dig for players . Thinking 12 team single head to head  league is even harder especially with only 1-2 transactions per week . 

Edited by motown magic
  • 3 weeks later...

with ypro moving default to faab  thought we should have a thread.

personally think it takes an advantage away from people that check their teams alot and follow call up threads ect.

does give everyone the ability to get a shot at a player if they really want him.

streaming will be harder so might want to focus a little more on SP (was planning on going more balanced anyway)

basketball this year used faab and it wasnt that big of a difference just make sure you spend ur money wisely

think for baseball you should be a little stingy early in the year. i usually carry that #1 waiver for a large portion of the season anyway at least for fabb you could get a couple of those #1 waiver, homerun adds if you know where to spend it.

anything else?

Edited by tonycpsu
Merged with league settings thread
  • tonycpsu changed the title to 2020 Fantasy Baseball League Settings Thread
18 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

with ypro moving default to faab  thought we should have a thread.

personally think it takes an advantage away from people that check their teams alot and follow call up threads ect.

does give everyone the ability to get a shot at a player if they really want him.

streaming will be harder so might want to focus a little more on SP (was planning on going more balanced anyway)

basketball this year used faab and it wasnt that big of a difference just make sure you spend ur money wisely

think for baseball you should be a little stingy early in the year. i usually carry that #1 waiver for a large portion of the season anyway at least for fabb you could get a couple of those #1 waiver, homerun adds if you know where to spend it.

anything else?

Its much better for people that don't have to check fantasy news constantly now to stay in the loop. For overall strategy, its really situational. Having the $0 ability is key, and you can make a claim on multiple guys dropping the same player, so you can always cover yourself there. I would think most people will dump FAAB on closers. Prospects will be preemptively picked up in most situations, so only a surprising call up comes into play. My strategy has been to be aggressive early on as if you hit on a big add early you will get those stats all year, hitting on one late is less of an impact. I play mostly roto, though, so in H2H you might want to conserve for the playoff run.

1) Do you prefer H2H Categories (typically 5x5) OR H2H points leagues?

Last year I STRONGLY preferred points leagues. I think I'm going to switch a lot of my cat leagues over to points. What do you think?

I guess a CON of a points league is that it takes some strategy out of team building... i.e. the guys that steal 45 bases only can safely be off your radar if you want. It is also very dependent on your SP matchups for the week... get good match ups and results and you are almost guranteed to win regardless what your hitters do.

CONs of a Category league might be the reverse... some teams might just grab certain players to win 6-4 every week. Also if your stolen base monster gets injured early, you can put up a big fat 0 for the rest of the year if you aren't careful in sb.

2) If you had to choose only ONE league for the year would it be:

a) 5x5 H2H Categories
b) 5x5 ROTO
C) H2H Points leagues
d)  ROTO with more categories
e) H2H with more categories

Interested in what you guys think.

10 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

1) Do you prefer H2H Categories (typically 5x5) OR H2H points leagues?

Last year I STRONGLY preferred points leagues. I think I'm going to switch a lot of my cat leagues over to points. What do you think?

I guess a CON of a points league is that it takes some strategy out of team building... i.e. the guys that steal 45 bases only can safely be off your radar if you want. It is also very dependent on your SP matchups for the week... get good match ups and results and you are almost guranteed to win regardless what your hitters do.

CONs of a Category league might be the reverse... some teams might just grab certain players to win 6-4 every week. Also if your stolen base monster gets injured early, you can put up a big fat 0 for the rest of the year if you aren't careful in sb.

2) If you had to choose only ONE league for the year would it be:

a) 5x5 H2H Categories
b) 5x5 ROTO
C) H2H Points leagues
d)  ROTO with more categories
e) H2H with more categories

Interested in what you guys think.

ROTO with more categories