NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 Fantasy Baseball League Settings Thread

1 hour ago, duke of queens said:

If MLB shuts down early or if there is a pause our league shuts down as well. The problem you could be making a trade expecting to finish a season and give up keepers and in return get someone that was suppose to help you win a championship that is no longer obtainable. So you basically traded valuable keepers for nothing.

I think all the fantasy owners realize that risk.  If you think they don't then start a thread on the league board there to remind them it is possible.  But in the end these are adults who have the right to manage their teams as they think fit.  If they want to take that risk it is their call and their call only to make. 

All trades are risky in the end.  A player could trip over their dog at home and break their leg like that Texas pitcher did once. 

I once traded a pitcher to someone who then promptly ended up needing Tommy John out of the blue the very next week when his arm went kaboom during a pitch.  I felt bad and offered to re-trade back the original players but the guy was fine with it saying that was just baseball and it was his call and he was fine with it.  I traded for Jamison Taillon in one league right before he was diagnosed with cancer and then he was out injured and will be through this season but he still sits proudly in one of my IL slot.  There is no bubble of safety in life nor in baseball nor in baseball trades.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I'm the commissioner of the league, I let everyone know if the season ends prematurely, no prize for anyone and I allow trades.   If I'm a competitive owner trying to win a championship i

Seems fine honestly. Might be better than wins or qs alone.

If it is a keeper league what is the problem?   But what is the problem in any format?  Let the owners manage their own teams and make that decision.  That's the whole point of fantasy baseball in the

15 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I think all the fantasy owners realize that risk.  If you think they don't then start a thread on the league board there to remind them it is possible.  But in the end these are adults who have the right to manage their teams as they think fit.  If they want to take that risk it is their call and their call only to make. 

All trades are risky in the end.  A player could trip over their dog at home and break their leg like that Texas pitcher did once. 

I once traded a pitcher to someone who then promptly ended up needing Tommy John out of the blue the very next week when his arm went kaboom during a pitch.  I felt bad and offered to re-trade back the original players but the guy was fine with it saying that was just baseball and it was his call and he was fine with it.  I traded for Jamison Taillon in one league right before he was diagnosed with cancer and then he was out injured and will be through this season but he still sits proudly in one of my IL slot.  There is no bubble of safety in life nor in baseball nor in baseball trades.

BBT I understand what you are saying and yes everyone knows the risk of injuries during trades but this is a completely different situation than your normal MLB season. If this were a redraft it would be totally different as well. But teams could benefit from a sudden shutdown for 3 years, not just 1 year, and the team on the other side would get zilch. I already had to shoot down suggestions of ending our league if 1 team has too many Covid positive players and the MLB season continues. Imagine the 8th place team getting his 5th Covid positive player with 2 weeks to go and the season is null and void.

2 hours ago, duke of queens said:

If MLB shuts down early or if there is a pause our league shuts down as well. The problem you could be making a trade expecting to finish a season and give up keepers and in return get someone that was suppose to help you win a championship that is no longer obtainable. So you basically traded valuable keepers for nothing.

First thing that I thought of. Do you trust your leaguemates?
If yes then why are you even questioning .... a trade that might. BBT gave the correct answer. 
If no then .... 

I always was a firm believer that a good LM lets the league decides most rules. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

If yes then why are you even questioning .... a trade that might. BBT gave the correct answer. 
If no then .... 

Yes I've known most for 20+ years and we always vote on stuff like this and will vote on this. But after running this for 20+ yrs most teams don't think about the ramifications long term and we have many times had to revert back on changes the following year after the vote came in for something to change. I like trading and am usually making the most during the season, but I just don't want some team getting zero return for 2-3 years of premium value. It's totally different if they got back a player and the season went on and he suckled or got injured, but to not even get that opportunity kinda defeats the purpose of making the trade. 

44 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

BBT I understand what you are saying and yes everyone knows the risk of injuries during trades but this is a completely different situation than your normal MLB season. If this were a redraft it would be totally different as well. But teams could benefit from a sudden shutdown for 3 years, not just 1 year, and the team on the other side would get zilch. I already had to shoot down suggestions of ending our league if 1 team has too many Covid positive players and the MLB season continues. Imagine the 8th place team getting his 5th Covid positive player with 2 weeks to go and the season is null and void.

Yes I understand what you are saying but again so what.   That happens all the time in keepers and dynasty that the result of a trade can echo down a few seasons.  It is suppose to after all.

For me look it comes down to this.  EVERYONE realizes that baseball could possibly fold their tent this year.  They make decisions based on that knowledge.  And it is THEIR decisions to make -- not yours -- whether you think it is right or wrong. 

So what if it benefits one team over the other for three years.  My other examples were the same thing but just not covid related.  I like win-win trades but let us face it; most trades are rarely even in the end and we all made stupid ones at one time or the other.  It is no big deal.

The big deal would be taking the freedom away from owners to play with and control their own teams.  It is called fun and that is why I play fantasy baseball.  I find it fun to be in control of my fictional teams.  Wrong or right I get to sit at the wheel and steer the course.  No one tells me what I can or can't do.  My triumphs and yes, my mistakes too.  I own them all and take joy in same.

In the end this season is an even playing field.  Any player can get covid.  Any player can throw their back out.  Any owner can make a bad trade.  The league could fold the season half way through.  So what.  If a player wants to risk wining this season trading a good prospect or two then go for it.  He might regret not having them next year or the year after OR he may sit back at gloat over having one the league this year.  In the end it his his choice and his alone.

But if you think your league mates are too dumb to make their own risk/reward decisions maybe it is time to drop out of that league and look for another.

25 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

If no then .... 

Hey shakestreet, we agree on something!  We need a celebration pic for this.  And yeah I thought the same thing.  Are these owners that lame in that league not to be allowed to manage their own teams.  If so then you have outgrown that league and it is time to leave it behind and find some new good competitive ones.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yes I understand what you are saying but again so what.   That happens all the time in keepers and dynasty that the result of a trade can echo down a few seasons.  It is suppose to after all.

For me look it comes down to this.  EVERYONE realizes that baseball could possibly fold their tent this year.  They make decisions based on that knowledge.  And it is THEIR decisions to make -- not yours -- whether you think it is right or wrong. 

So what if it benefits one team over the other for three years.  My other examples were the same thing but just not covid related.  I like win-win trades but let us face it; most trades are rarely even in the end and we all made stupid ones at one time or the other.  It is no big deal.

The big deal would be taking the freedom away from owners to play with and control their own teams.  It is called fun and that is why I play fantasy baseball.  I find it fun to be in control of my fictional teams.  Wrong or right I get to sit at the wheel and steer the course.  No one tells me what I can or can't do.  My triumphs and yes, my mistakes too.  I own them all and take joy in same.

In the end this season is an even playing field.  Any player can get covid.  Any player can throw their back out.  Any owner can make a bad trade.  The league could fold the season half way through.  So what.  If a player wants to risk wining this season trading a good prospect or two then go for it.  He might regret not having them next year or the year after OR he may sit back at gloat over having one the league this year.  In the end it his his choice and his alone.

But if you think your league mates are too dumb to make their own risk/reward decisions maybe it is time to drop out of that league and look for another.

Hey shakestreet, we agree on something!  We need a celebration pic for this.  And yeah I thought the same thing.  Are these owners that lame in that league not to be allowed to manage their own teams.  If so then you have outgrown that league and it is time to leave it behind and find some new good competitive ones.

You want me to drop out of my own league? Lol. Come on BBT its not even 5pm yet. Im assuming your leagues will payout whomever is in first at the time if MLB cancels its season?

2 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

You want me to drop out of my own league? Lol. Come on BBT its not even 5pm yet. Im assuming your leagues will payout whomever is in first at the time if MLB cancels its season?

Yeah sure why not if you can't trust your league mates to make even the most basic decisions.  Form another league or two or join other leagues to renew yourself some.  Change can be good.

8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah sure why not if you can't trust your league mates to make even the most basic decisions.  Form another league or two or join other leagues to renew yourself some.  Change can be good.

You didnt answer my payout question

23 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

You didnt answer my payout question

I don't even know what it means.  If it has to do with money I play in really tough leagues who refuse to play for money.  We do it for the competition and my take is if you play for money it is more about the money and people whining and complaining and arguing about same and not the competition for the sake of competition.  I'm sure some money leagues work fine but it isn't my thing and never will be.  I just want to play with people that are highly motivated to play without the money carrot involved.  I just don't gamble period.  Never have and never will.  Nothing against those that do.  But anyway "payout" has nothing to do with your original post.  If people in your league play for money and they lose some, so what?  They are big boys.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
51 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Yes I've known most for 20+ years and we always vote on stuff like this and will vote on this. But after running this for 20+ yrs most teams don't think about the ramifications long term and we have many times had to revert back on changes the following year after the vote came in for something to change. I like trading and am usually making the most during the season, but I just don't want some team getting zero return for 2-3 years of premium value. It's totally different if they got back a player and the season went on and he suckled or got injured, but to not even get that opportunity kinda defeats the purpose of making the trade. 

20+ years of this league and still questioning are you able to trust your leaguemates to make trades that you think are fair. That lies the problem. Good luck 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, duke of queens said:

Well you should just clearly indicate what will happen if there is no season or it ends partial way through. Decide on that, and if people want to trade, let them. Everyone knows the risks.  I'm sure if you decide to do a league that could end mis season and be declared a null season, that most contending teams won't be willing to go in big.

20 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I don't even know what it means.  If it has to do with money I play in really tough leagues who refuse to play for money.  We do it for the competition and my take is if you play for money it is more about the money and people whining and complaining and arguing about same and not the competition for the sake of competition.  I'm sure some money leagues work fine but it isn't my thing and never will be.  I just want to play with people that are highly motivated to play without the money carrot involved.  I just don't gamble period.  Never have and never will.  Nothing against those that do.  But anyway "payout" has nothing to do with your original post.  If people in your league play for money and they lose some, so what?  They are big boys.

I guess that's the difference. I will never play in a league without a payout. Invest too much time to not get paid. Time is money. Fantasy sports(golf basketball football baseball ponies) is fun and takes a lot of work. I dont work for free. Never have never will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Well you should just clearly indicate what will happen if there is no season or it ends partial way through. Decide on that, and if people want to trade, let them. Everyone knows the risks.  I'm sure if you decide to do a league that could end mis season and be declared a null season, that most contending teams won't be willing to go in big.

Yes that's the point. We already agreed if its a canceled season than our season is canceled. Does that mean the trades made should be canceled as well? 

1 minute ago, duke of queens said:

Yes that's the point. We already agreed if its a canceled season than our season is canceled. Does that mean the trades made should be canceled as well? 

If I'm the commissioner of the league, I let everyone know if the season ends prematurely, no prize for anyone and I allow trades.

If I'm a competitive owner trying to win a championship in 2020, I'm much less likely to go all in with future assets for 2020.

Let them take the risks knowingly, it seems fine. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, duke of queens said:

That wasnt the point. Reread the issue.

what is your point? I read

9 hours ago, duke of queens said:

Is anyone allowing trades in their keeper leagues? I am leaning towards not having them in the event MLB cancels the season early and those trades involving prospects for immediate help would only be helping the team getting the prospects. Any rules you are proposing if you do allow trades?

5 hours ago, duke of queens said:

What answer do you want? If your so damn worried about this season shutting down then install that there is no trades this year. Period. 

My opinion on keeper leagues is that this year should not be played.  Freeze contracts, salaries, holds, etc. and continue next spring.  

This 60 game season, negates a large portion of the advantage of building a better keeper roster.  So as an owner, would I want to use up a year of keeper status, when the advantage is less?  And would I want to play for an entry fee less than the normal fee?  Yes, some leagues may still charge the full entry fee. I've seen alot though decide to charge less for this season.

It penilzies teams that have dumped in previous seasons.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, shakestreet said:

what is your point? I read

What answer do you want? If your so damn worried about this season shutting down then install that there is no trades this year. Period. 

I wasn't looking for an answer, just what other leagues were doing with regards to trades in keeper leagues. I got that from Brock. In addition I got BBT telling me to join a new league, a holier art thou response on competition, and questions on trusting my league mates. I'm sorry I even brought it up.

We are discussing some changes to our 2020 dynasty league (no contracts). This roto league has been together for over 20 years. Changes were discussing now.

- Instead of weekly lineups allow for daily lineups just this year
- Eliminating the SP/RP designation and just allowing any pitcher to fill starting lineup requirements
- Anyone who was eligible to be kept as a minor leaguer in 2020 is automatically eligible for that in 2021 regardless of use in the majors this season.
- Eliminating our 10 roster spots for Minor League players and expanding our bench from 10 to 20 players.
- Reducing games played from 10 to 5 for position eligibility. 
- We already have Sept 1st trade deadline, and will leave that alone.

I'm uneasy about daily lineups from the pitching side of things. We don't use inning limits. It's a 6x6 league with 11 owners (odd I know) using OPS and Holds as the non-standard categories. We start 2 at every position, 6 OF, and usually 10 SP and 6 RP (but that may be adjusted for this year). We haven't decided anything yet, but discussion's are picking up now.

• Like 1
On 6/23/2020 at 10:21 PM, treyjuice said:

That’s completely up to you but for us it is. We have been using the premium version for our keeper league for the last 20 years. It’s $150 Per season for it, and we have 18 owners so it’s less than 10 bucks a man. Plus our league is unique in its roster so we like the customization. Maybe they will be offering a discount this year or something if you are concerned about the price.

And it's free for this season, I would suggest people give it a shot

• Like 1

I'm surprised this hasn't been bumped.

What is everyone planning on doing? I am thinking of activating my league but having us play rotisserie.

H2H seems like a bad idea this year in case games get cancelled.

I'd love to hear what your league is up to.

Edited by clarkevii
Just now, clarkevii said:

I'm surprised thins hasn't been bumped.

What is everyone planning on doing? I am thinking of activating my league but having us play rotisserie.

Several people here have posted they are switching to roto for this season too so you aren't alone.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, clarkevii said:

Didn't have an option in my H2H 10 team leagues, but it's a 8 week regular season with 4 teams making the playoffs.  If you're playing for money probably sucks no matter what. 

If it gets gets shut down at some point for the health of the players and personnel so be it.  It's only one season so I'm fine with my set up.

CBS normally is 179.99 is free this year. If you want h2h, you can play every opponent each week so a perfect week in a 12 team 5x5 league would be 110-0. For the h2h crowd the best team will be proven and not have a team luck out based on easy opponents.

On 7/4/2020 at 8:44 PM, clarkevii said:

My league drafted before the shutdown. We just allowed a free opt out and froze any players on teams opted out (1 out of 12 opted out). Also added in some precautions for if the season fails (need at least 40 games to be played for any payouts, 40-59 games we will do half payouts and half refunds). Given we are already roto this was an easy solution for us, H2H is in a tougher spot.