NBC Sports Edge Forums

Derrick Henry 2020 Outlook

46 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Conforming to the truth? Being upset with Henry's production when he's the RB3 is ludicrous?

You want more consistency? Like, consistently score less points than Henry like the rest of the RBs have done so far?

I wish my lineup was QB1, RB1, RB2, WR1, WR2, TE1 too but, come on my man. You have the RB3! 

I do apologize for the tone of the first post, though. I might have had a few adult beverages.

But what about the weeks where he has 60 rushing yards and no TDs? That never happens to Cook or Kamara because they catch more passes. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Barkley - Out for season CMC - Has been out most of the season who knows his status for rest of season Sanders - in and out of the lineup Drake - Huge bust before getting injured M

If Henry got COVID his body would immediately synthesize an antiviral to it. Henry would then exhale it throughout the Western Hemisphere (at minimum), ending the pandemic.   (Alshon's soft tissu

update?

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

But what about the weeks where he has 60 rushing yards and no TDs? That never happens to Cook or Kamara because they catch more passes. 

Wait...can't tell if this is sarcasm.....did Cleats just besmirch Henry?......he couldn't have.....wait, WHAT?!..........brain.......hurts.......

.....       Head Explode GIF by FirstAndMonday

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, BMcP said:

But I was told this is the year where Henry would catch 45 passes?

20 targets so far...Tannehill isn't delivering very catchable passes for the big fella or is often dumping it in Henry's direction to avoid a sack, however you cut it he is on pace to set a career high in receptions whether he reaches 45 or not. 

Lots of people have been told lots of things. I've been told Henry would never be a top 5 RB and that was egregiously incorrect. 

Just now, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

20 targets so far...Tannehill isn't delivering very catchable passes for the big fella or is often dumping it in Henry's direction to avoid a sack, however you cut it he is on pace to set a career high in receptions whether he reaches 45 or not. 

Lots of people have been told lots of things. I've been told Henry would never be a top 5 RB and that was egregiously incorrect. 

Just glad we don’t have to hear the “coaches suck” excuse again while we enjoy our 17 points over the last two weeks.

6 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Just glad we don’t have to hear the “coaches suck” excuse again while we enjoy our 17 points over the last two weeks.

Excuse or explanation?

They have upgraded the coaching staff, I think that is obvious from how Henry ran them just shy of the Super Bowl when the new coaches committed to him. 

Coaches are not infallible though, Titans could have gotten back into the game last Thursday in particular if they used Henry in some key moments of their comeback attempt but nobody is perfect. 

It is rewarding to see NFL coaches realize what I have known for years.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

If you don't hear it then it's because I don't think it. 

I appreciate the candor - no matter how starkly it outlines your own ego.

You read it and replied before I could even edit it, which was immediate. Kudos on the lightning response. That was faster than a 99 yd TD run from King Hendry

You know I love you, man.  Your boy is great - I was just referring to his role as a pass-catcher, which is not seeing a precipitous leap this year.  If you have him, be grateful!

• Like 1

Derrick Henry had 31 carries and 34 touches in the season opener. He has not come close to that since.

In fact, in the past four games, Henry has averaged 19.5 carries, 89.5 yards and has scored two touchdowns. The Titans are 1-3.

“Yeah, I mean that’s been by design,” quarterback Ryan Tannehill said, via Terry McCormick of titaninsider.com. “He started off the season on a really high rate of carries per game and something that’s probably going to be unsustainable not only as you get deep into this year or into his career. Wanted to take something off his plate there and give our other guys some opportunities to make plays. Derrick’s going to continue to be a huge part of our offense and the workhorse that he is. But it’s been by design to keep his carries to a manageable level, a level to where he can still go out and make some huge plays for us and get into a rhythm but where he’s not getting 40 carries a game and stacking up an insurmountable amount of reps. So really just trying to be smart and diligent with that. We know that Derrick’s going to go out there and do a good job anytime he’s in there.”

The Titans went 5-0 to start the season with Henry averaging 24.6 carries per game for 117.6 yards per game, and he scored six touchdowns. So maybe it’s time to get him more involved again.

Tannehill talks like he is the OC or the Head Ball Coach. Might want to focus more on yourself. 

Yeah, Ryan, gotta get HOF talents like Jeremy McNichols and D'onta Foreman some more touches...

It's shocking to me that people can't see what's right in front of them. Tannehill wants to decrease Henrys touches by design? To give McNichols and Foreman more chances to make plays? LMAO, I'd only take Henry out when he told me he was tired. 

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
13 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Derrick Henry had 31 carries and 34 touches in the season opener. He has not come close to that since.

In fact, in the past four games, Henry has averaged 19.5 carries, 89.5 yards and has scored two touchdowns. The Titans are 1-3.

“Yeah, I mean that’s been by design,” quarterback Ryan Tannehill said, via Terry McCormick of titaninsider.com. “He started off the season on a really high rate of carries per game and something that’s probably going to be unsustainable not only as you get deep into this year or into his career. Wanted to take something off his plate there and give our other guys some opportunities to make plays. Derrick’s going to continue to be a huge part of our offense and the workhorse that he is. But it’s been by design to keep his carries to a manageable level, a level to where he can still go out and make some huge plays for us and get into a rhythm but where he’s not getting 40 carries a game and stacking up an insurmountable amount of reps. So really just trying to be smart and diligent with that. We know that Derrick’s going to go out there and do a good job anytime he’s in there.”

The Titans went 5-0 to start the season with Henry averaging 24.6 carries per game for 117.6 yards per game, and he scored six touchdowns. So maybe it’s time to get him more involved again.

Tannehill talks like he is the OC or the Head Ball Coach. Might want to focus more on yourself. 

Yeah, Ryan, gotta get HOF talents like Jeremy McNichols and D'onta Foreman some more touches...

It's shocking to me that people can't see what's right in front of them. Tannehill wants to decrease Henrys touches by design? To give McNichols and Foreman more chances to make plays? LMAO, I'd only take Henry out when he told me he was tired. 

It's pretty crazy how much these guys overthink things. Titans have an easy way to win games:

Step 1: Give Henry the rock.

Step 2: Give Henry the rock some more.

Step 3: Play-action bomb to AJ Brown.

Repeat.

• Like 1

Hope Vrabel took notes on what his buddy Bill B. did to the Ravens Sunday night.

D. Harris and Rex Burkhead of all people ran all over them. 

And Baltimore suffered a goodly number of injuries as well on the line and elsewhere.

This game should be the reason why maybe he was "managed" previously...

...because he should get 30 carries this week if they want to win. You don't throw to win on that secondary.

8 minutes ago, MingusDew said:

It's pretty crazy how much these guys overthink things. Titans have an easy way to win games:

Step 1: Give Henry the rock.

Step 2: Give Henry the rock some more.

Step 3: Play-action bomb to AJ Brown.

Repeat.

Pretty much, the fact that Henry can bust one anytime from anywhere is the threat. If Henry didn't tell me he was tired or hurt he wouldn't leave the field.

Tennessee had Henry on the sidelines of some critical plays against the Colts with whom they are battling for the division lead. Saving Henry has never made much sense to me, no one in the NFL has a better body to handle the extra touches.

7 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Pretty much, the fact that Henry can bust one anytime from anywhere is the threat. If Henry didn't tell me he was tired or hurt he wouldn't leave the field.

Tennessee had Henry on the sidelines of some critical plays against the Colts with whom they are battling for the division lead. Saving Henry has never made much sense to me, no one in the NFL has a better body to handle the extra touches.

Certainly frustrating to see RT throw to scrubs like Firkser and Davis instead of using his best players. What can you do though.

I'm expecting a big game from Henry this week. I own AJB as well and I fear another down week for him as TEN goes all in on the run.

1 hour ago, BGDDYKWL said:

TD or bust again this week. I'm sensing a theme here..

Henry is the 3rd ranked RB in .5 PPR. 

Basically every fantasy RB is "touchdown dependent" (at least in the way you are invoking it), with the exceptions of Kamara and McCaffrey (who cost most the #1 pick and is hurt) in PPR.  

Edited by Rainyy
  • Like 1

EXPERT NOTE

Just like Tannehill, we have a trend with Henry. He played 71-plus percent of the snaps in each of the first three games but has watched that number fall as the year goes on. Over the last three weeks, he's played just 56.8 percent of the snaps. How is this affecting fantasy? Well, he saw 17 targets in their first six games but has seen just three targets over the last three. If he doesn't score, he's not getting into RB1 territory. While the Colts were a tough matchup, this week doesn't get much better. Based on Football Outsiders' DVOA metric which accounts for the level of competition they've played, the Ravens are the league's third-toughest run defense. In fact, they're one of just three teams who are ranked higher than the Colts. With that being said, they're going to be shorthanded this week, as they're missing their top two interior lineman, Calais Campbell and Brandon Williams. While Campbell is a new player on the Ravens this year, Williams has been a major cog up the middle of the field for years. On the 552 snaps with him on the field last year, the Ravens allowed 4.12 yards per carry. On the 474 snaps without him, they allowed 5.31 yards per carry. The last time Henry played the Ravens (in the playoffs last year), he crushed them for 195 yards on 30 carries. After reading this, you should have a bit more hope playing Henry as your RB1 this week.

Mike Tagliere - FantasyPros - 1 hours ago
17 minutes ago, next big thing cp84 said:

Ravens also down Campbell and Williams, bodes well for running the ball on the Ravens shown by the Pats last week

Hope he does better than every-down back James Conner.

• Haha 1