NBC Sports Edge Forums

Derrick Henry 2020 Outlook

10 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

If Henry finished the season and the postseason being more incorporated in the passing game would he be in the discussion for #1 overall draft pick in 2021?

Cook prob goes #1 imo. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Barkley - Out for season CMC - Has been out most of the season who knows his status for rest of season Sanders - in and out of the lineup Drake - Huge bust before getting injured M

If Henry got COVID his body would immediately synthesize an antiviral to it. Henry would then exhale it throughout the Western Hemisphere (at minimum), ending the pandemic.   (Alshon's soft tissu

update?

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Theoneupper said:

Cook prob goes #1 imo. 

Assuming he returns for the last few games and is his normal self, CMC should be #1 again in any type of PPR format. It’s not like these injuries he’s had this year are the recurring type.

In standard, Henry certainly makes a great case for #1 overall.

In any kind of scoring format, unless something changes, the top 3 (in a some type of order) should be CMC, Henry & Cook; with Kamara #4 (possibly higher in full PPR).

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I don’t get why almost all his receptions are RB screens where he stops to face the QB instead of wheel route variants where’s he’s running already.

There’s a reason almost all his top plays are when he’s starting like 5-7 yards in the backfield. Henry is extremely dominant when he has some speed behind him and he’s very easy to tackle when he’s starting from a stand still. Kind of obvious when you consider his size and lack of lateral quickness. So it should also be obvious to get him passes where he’s already running. 

Yeah, reminds me of using Bowser in Mario Kart.  Took him a second or two longer than everyone else to get going off the staring line...but once he hit his stride, look out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, CletisVanDamme said:

Yeah, reminds me of using Bowser in Mario Kart.  Took him a second or two longer than everyone else to get going off the staring line...but once he hit his stride, look out.

I agree with you, just never expected to see a Mario Kart reference!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, CletisVanDamme said:

Donkey Kong was the fastest one in that game. You couldn't get hit or knocked off of your track but in the time lap mode donkey kong was the fastest if you hit all the slides around the corners just right he could not be beat.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, CletisVanDamme said:

Bruh this analogy is 🔥🔥

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Theoneupper said:

Cook prob goes #1 imo. 

i believe @DerrickHenrysCleats original posit was "is he in the convo for #1 overall if the uptick in passing work continues?" (<--- paraphrasing).

and to that, the answer is HELL. YES. 

look, Cook can rack up pinball machine #s in that offense, it is as perfectly tailored for him as the Titans O is for King Hendry.  those 2 are in the most advantageous schemes for mega touches/production, and the week winning magick foosball bounty is aplenty. 

but there is a yuuuuuge chasm between the 2 in one area ... and ya need look no further than last week vs Carolina to find it ... and that is the propensity for injury. 

hell, it looked like Cook was down for the season (again), but, yeah ... he got back in, and finished, and by all accounts seems to be all spiffy for this week vs the Rb1nsons. 

but it illustrates the caveat in spades ... this was just the latest incident, as there have been a handful of instances this year where Cook looked to be seriously injured ... he even missed one game, which, in the grand scheme of things, is lowball considering the amount of times it looked to be much more dire than the final outcome. 

dunno, man ... when cats are that close, ya gotta find a tipping point ... and knowing Cook is gliding on a banana peel every week is enuff for me to tilt it to King Hendry. 

and Hendry gets more usage than any RB ... and he has such a humungous target range to hit ... yet he gets back up again and again and again and again and ... yeah, he keeps getting up.  and staying in the game.  and giving hits as good as he gets - punishing mofos, at that. 

i believe he has missed one game since his ascension to feature back ... Cleats can correct or confirm on that?

from a strictly magick foosball perspective, it's not as close to me as others here believe it is.  im'ma roll with the King over the Cook ... even in ppr, yes. 

CMC?

that's a sticky one. 

one thing we know about Hendry is that it would take a seismic shift in coaching and philosophy (and perhaps a full frontal lobotomy) for Tennessee to deviate from what works so cotdamn well. 

i know my guy is getting fed. 

there was preseason chatter up on this bored about avoiding CMC due to the track record of RBs coming off seasons of such prodigious touches as he had in '19. 

prophetic? or stopped clock being right twice a day?

CMC provides borderline wr1 #s combined with his incredible rb1 stats.  we all know this, there are really no secrets or monkey shines surrounding these 3 cats ... they do what they do like none others can ... do. 

but i'll be wary of the injuries with him (CMC), as well.   of course, one would just counter with "just reach for Mike Davis and you're golden!!!1!111!1!!!1"

meh. 

why reach for Davis when i can just plug King Hendry instead of CMC?

one thing that has always helped me in my drafts is knowing where i'm gonna plant my flag ... ZERO EFFS TO GIVE. 

drafting by my gut, rather than the experts or the cheatsheets or the projections, has served me so very well ... plus i get the added bonus of living/dying by my own sword.  yuuuuuuge sense of satisfaction when the zags i boogie with supercede the zigs the autocrats swear by, and the trickery was performed by your own convictions. 

i absolutely know EXACTLY where i'm planting that flag if i have the #1 overall in 2021 - i ride with the King, baby. 

• Like 1

I don’t get why these guys when he extends his arm don’t go for a full arm bar and grab and take him down instead of trying to take him down near his legs or body. Grab and twist the arm. They should have martial arts experts teaching how to defend

• Haha 1

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/03/the-meaning-of-derrick-henrys-stiff-arms

Derrick Henry Isn't Changing the Game. That's Why We're Obsessed With Him

His stiff-arms—those ultimate emasculations—won't win games. Some stat heads would question how much they matter at all. But they keep us watching. And they link us to the past

The move is as old as football and, like so many elements of the sport, more complex than the catchall term suggests. Great practitioners of the stiff-arm, over the years, have shared certain attributes—an innate understanding of angles and timing; an awareness of the relationship between force and balance, strong hands and driving thighs—but applied them differently.

“He wanted to be a run-around-you guy,” says Bobby Ramsay, Henry’s coach at Yulee High, outside Jacksonville. “We had to tell him, ‘Hey, dude: You know you’re really big?’”

Ramsay, too, steered his pupil to the tape. Henry watched Dickerson and Eddie George, the mammoth Titans All-Pro, both of whom had the kind of edge speed he found appealing—an ability to beat a defense to the perimeter when it bunched against the offense’s strength—and an understanding of when the situation called for something more straightforward

Earl had a wicked stiff arm - more so than Henry.  And LOL at Peter King for saying Henry runs like Earl.  No he doesn't.

3 hours ago, cashvillesent said:

I don’t get why these guys when he extends his arm don’t go for a full arm bar and grab and take him down instead of trying to take him down near his legs or body. Grab and twist the arm. They should have martial arts experts teaching how to defend

LOL

1 minute ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

That could be the next thing, jerry rice took ballet just for his footing

It very well could be, but acting as if these guys don’t know how to tackle or you figured it out and they didn’t is what I found funny. They always try to grab his arm, but it has to do with timing if you’re off a second and he manages to extend youre in a highlight reel. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, cashvillesent said:

Bet this guy could have tackled Henry...

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
18 hours ago, CletisVanDamme said:

You sir, are a genius. I personally was a Mario player.  He didn't get bumped easily but was overall solid. I always thought Toad was a blur tho. The computer one at least. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, kdko said:
  1. Oof, volume dependent and game script dependent RB.  Not gonna do much unless he gets 25+ carries a game, as he's useless in the passing game if they're behind.  

Not really. They arent going to get killed by as this much today and they are going to need Henry now that Brown is banged up. Way to keep up the doubt though, [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
1 minute ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Not really. They arent going to get killed by as this much today and they are going to need Henry now that Brown is banged up. Way to keep up the doubt though, [...]

Lol, they were incredibly far behind the whole game and he got 1 lone target.  Just stating facts.  He needs 25+ carries in a favorable game script to do anything.  If they're behind, you're in for a real stinker unlike most RB's in the league.