NBC Sports Edge Forums

DeVante Parker 2020 Outlook

On 8/21/2020 at 10:28 PM, sjm76 said:

I don't think that Rosen will see the field this year unless Fitz and Tua are both injured and have to miss time.  I agree that Rosen looked pretty bad when he was in there.

That's another thing that people need to consider when talking about Parker's splits with/without Williams on the field.  The first few weeks of the season was a disaster at the QB position.  Week 1 Fitz started, they got obliterated by Baltimore.  Next week Fitz starts, Rosen comes in half way through the game.  Rosen starts weeks 3, 4, and 6.  Fitzpatrick comes BACK in as the starter Week 6, and then takes over ROS from there.  

I know it is a VERY small sample size, but Weeks 7, 8 and 9 Parker had 24 targets, 15 receptions, 171 yards and 2 TDs.  Williams got hurt in Week 9.  That pace would work out to just under 235 points in PPR for the season.  That would be right around WR13 last season.  

I'm not extrapolating a small sample and saying "this is what will happen" but rather illustrating that once the Dolphins committed to a QB last season, who wasn't Josh Rosen, Parker produced low end WR1/high WR2 numbers with Preston on the field as well.  

Now of course the QB situation this year could muddy things, but I think we for sure get a few weeks of Fitz, and if the Dolphins are competitive by mid-season in a weak division, maybe they just roll with him all year.  

As been mentioned, Miami's WR3 and WR4 have opted out.  Gesicki is a player but Parker is the unquestioned #1 in this offense, isn't coming back from an ACL tear, and this is a team that was 7th in passing attempts last season.  Enter in new OC Chan Gailey, who has a history of airing it out and producing high stats for WRs, I like Parker at his ADP of WR21.

The only qualm I have about drafting Parker, is that I'm a huge fan of a ton of WRs in that area (including Parker) - DJ Chark, Robert Woods, Terry McLaurin - so a tough decision to be made, but if I end up with Parker I'll still be happy about it.  

• Like 2
  • Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you're not starting him when he's healthy and in a primetime matchup between two bad defensive teams then when would you even start him? Guys are talking about a rookie cornerback? Really? Pretty m

Remember that Simpsons where Lisa rolls Homer's BBQ roast pig down the street?   Here's me as a Parker owner this season Its just a little groin pull, he's still good, he's still good! It

Are we still asking this question every week?? WHY???

Posted Images

On 8/24/2020 at 1:37 PM, Fort4242 said:

The only qualm I have about drafting Parker, is that I'm a huge fan of a ton of WRs in that area (including Parker) - DJ Chark, Robert Woods, Terry McLaurin - so a tough decision to be made, but if I end up with Parker I'll still be happy about it.  

I like all of those guys as well. It's certainly not unrealistic to land more than one of them. Parker's current ADP is about two full rounds later than Woods and one round later than Chark and McLaurin. If these WRs are all available and you're on the fence deciding which of them to choose, I think it makes sense to take someone else and roll the dice that Parker will make it back around to you in the next round. 

On 8/24/2020 at 1:37 PM, Fort4242 said:

That's another thing that people need to consider when talking about Parker's splits with/without Williams on the field.  The first few weeks of the season was a disaster at the QB position.  Week 1 Fitz started, they got obliterated by Baltimore.  Next week Fitz starts, Rosen comes in half way through the game.  Rosen starts weeks 3, 4, and 6.  Fitzpatrick comes BACK in as the starter Week 6, and then takes over ROS from there.  

I know it is a VERY small sample size, but Weeks 7, 8 and 9 Parker had 24 targets, 15 receptions, 171 yards and 2 TDs.  Williams got hurt in Week 9.  That pace would work out to just under 235 points in PPR for the season.  That would be right around WR13 last season.  

I'm not extrapolating a small sample and saying "this is what will happen" but rather illustrating that once the Dolphins committed to a QB last season, who wasn't Josh Rosen, Parker produced low end WR1/high WR2 numbers with Preston on the field as well.  

Now of course the QB situation this year could muddy things, but I think we for sure get a few weeks of Fitz, and if the Dolphins are competitive by mid-season in a weak division, maybe they just roll with him all year.  

As been mentioned, Miami's WR3 and WR4 have opted out.  Gesicki is a player but Parker is the unquestioned #1 in this offense, isn't coming back from an ACL tear, and this is a team that was 7th in passing attempts last season.  Enter in new OC Chan Gailey, who has a history of airing it out and producing high stats for WRs, I like Parker at his ADP of WR21.

I love drafting him this year at his ADP. He can be a potential borderline WR1 and you can go heavy with RBS in the beginning of your redrafts. 

You can actually go crazy with dolphins players in best ball leagues and stack almost the entire team with where their ADPS are (parker, geiscki, williams, fitz). I do agree that if they are competitive, you see Fitz stay out there the entire season. Hugeeeee upside for best ball with very low risk. 

Fitzmagic mother died. He leaving the team for a while going on leave and may miss the week 1 opener. this hurts dolphins recievers week 1 if so

Edited by SyNdicateZ
3 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Fitzmagic mother died. He leaving the team for a while going on leave and may miss the week 1 opener. this hurts dolphins recievers week 1 if so

If Fitz misses the opener, I'm guessing they would probably go with Rosen as I read they don't think that Tua is near being ready to play.

10 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

The wk 1 opener is 2 weeks away. Highly doubt Fitz is away that long. 

Hopefully it is just a situation where they are keeping Parker in bubble wrap leading up to the opener...he keeps really falling in drafts I am doing, and while I love me some Preston, I have to believe Parker is going to be a target monster for a team that will need to chuck it a bunch.

32 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Parker is right in that tier with Robinson and Golladay. Yet he is going 3-5 rounds later depending on where you look.

Pretty crazy value for the dude...

I completely agree.  He is going to eat as long as Fitz is the quarterback.  And it looks like Fitz is going to be the QB for a while with the reports of Tua not being fully healed and that being a consideration for who starts.  And even if Tua starts, it's possible that he develops a rapport with Parker.  As long as Rosen isn't under center, I'm happy.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Parker is right in that tier with Robinson and Golladay. Yet he is going 3-5 rounds later depending on where you look.

Pretty crazy value for the dude...

Nah , that's way too rich .... I see him more around JuJu, Lockett, Ridley tier . But there's mad value there regardless 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Leopard said:

Missed another practice today, the team never disclosed what the “minor” injury is but I would hope he will be ready for week 1 

Yeah, I’m getting slightly nervous. I guess buckle up, we got all next week. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

Yeah, I’m getting slightly nervous. I guess buckle up, we got all next week. 

I have him too. Maybe I'm a little too optimistic but I get the feeling that they simply already know what they have in Devante and don't think he needs the practice up until the week before gameday.

Per Rotowire (from September 3rd):

Coach Brian Flores hopes Parker (undisclosed) will come off the injury report next week, Cameron Wolfe of ESPN.com reports.

Parker has recently been held out of practice due to an undisclosed injury, but Flores has been consistent in downplaying the severity of the issue. If Parker is indeed able to return to practice without limitations next week, any concerns about his availability for Sept. 13's season-opener against New England will be shed. When healthy, Parker will slot in as Ryan Fitzpatrick's top receiving option.

6 hours ago, stay_woke said:

He fell to me in the 8th round and I needed a RB so badly but I couldn't say no and I kind of regret it. But at that price pretty hard for him not to return value

Thats a good spot to take him given his injury. Those first two weeks against Gilmore and White could be ugly.

On 9/6/2020 at 12:28 AM, Evincar said:

Thats a good spot to take him given his injury. Those first two weeks against Gilmore and White could be ugly.

Parker abused Gilmore in week 17 (vid below) like no one else had last year to the point Gilmore apologized to the media for letting his team down and he also had 190 yards in his 2 games against the Bills.  Obviously those guys are stiff competition, but a healthy Parker proved he can hang last year.  

I can't believe I have this guy as my WR4 in a few leagues.  He's going maybe 10-15 spots higher this year than I remember he was going in his second year in the league before he had shown production yet.  Definitely one of the more inexplicably devalued players this year in drafts.

Edited by Illusion_J
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

I’m waiting for the same information. 

I like his chances with Fitzpatrick in there and I hope Fitz plays for most of the season.  The rookie Tua is unproven and coming off an injury so who knows how their connection would be.