NBC Sports Edge Forums

Patrick Mahomes 2020 Outlook

Mahomes earned his first trophy last year, and he's about ready for a new contract.

I love Mahomes although I own him nowhere. I am hoping he follows the "Brady Model" and takes deferred value in exchange for shoring up team weaknesses - particularly on defense. Brady has shown other elite QBs how to win multiple championships - spread the wealth. Mahomes could win several titles with his physical gifts combined with his high football IQ. As a fan I hope he stays in KC and builds the "next dynasty". The pieces are in place to do so. 

This leads to the ultimate goal which is fantasy. As long as Mahomes is teamed up with Reid he's going to be a perennial top 5 QB for at least the next 5 yrs, particularly if he's willing to be cap-friendly.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm guessing the delay in the numbers being announced is because they can't count that high.

no to we won't know or no to cancel the season? i hope the FF platforms allow us to sub out COVID locked players out of the line up. unprecedented i know, but all this for a  1% deadly virus

I think most people learn that giving money back to your employer in any way is a foolish thing. They don’t care about you. The second it’s inconvenient you’re gone. The same applies to the NFL.

49 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Mahomes earned his first trophy last year, and he's about ready for a new contract.

I love Mahomes although I own him nowhere.

I am hoping he follows the "Brady Model" and takes deferred value in exchange for shoring up team weaknesses - particularly on defense. B

rady has shown other elite QBs how to win multiple championships - spread the wealth. Mahomes could win several titles with his physical gifts combined with his high football IQ. As a fan I hope he stays in KC and builds the "next dynasty". The pieces are in place to do so. 

This leads to the ultimate goal which is fantasy. As long as Mahomes is teamed up with Reid he's going to be a perennial top 5 QB for at least the next 5 yrs, particularly if he's willing to be cap-friendly.

The Brady model is a foolish model in a dangerous sport as it's extremely high risk vs reward because one bad injury kills your career and value. I think you have to have certain criteria to fit the Brady model namely financial stability, good health and a first class organization committed to winning(i.e. would you discount if you are on the Browns or raiders?).

Brady was blessed with a relatively low injury career compared to many QB's playing at least a decade; he never had recurring and chronic issues, concussions, broken bones and surgeries. Brady also has a wife worth $500mm. Brady also had the benefit of coming from a wealthy family, his father owned a successful insurance business. I know Mahommes father is an ex athlete so he too came from a privileged background so maybe he will take less and bet on staying healthy and successful over the long term.

Neither of these guys have the stereotypical situation of coming from nothing and financially "supporting" family members.

Edited by dashoe

So here is a question, for 2020 and longer (keeper/dynasty) where does Mahomes rank compared to Lamar Jackson?  2018 NFL season Mahomes finished with 410pts and last season (2019) Jackson finished with 408.  Now Mahomes had a bit of a slump in 2019 at times but turned it on down the stretch and in the playoffs.  There were times when the team was slow out of the gates but watching Mahomes play and scramble and find open receivers and keep the play alive is amazing. I think he sees the field and reads the defenses better than Jackson.

I owned Jackson last year in a keeper but thinking of trading him for Mahomes.  I may be able to get a little extra out of the Mahomes owner as well with all the hype on Jackson and Mahomes having a "quieter" year.

I really like Mahomes long term, especially in keeper leagues and still think he might be better over his career than Jackson.  Jackson's strength is in his ability to gain rushing yards which really helps raise his floor. But I'm still not set on Jackson long term when comparing him to Mahomes.  

Edited by Big Nate
5 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

So here is a question, for 2020 and longer (keeper/dynasty) where does Mahomes rank compared to Lamar Jackson?  2018 NFL season Mahomes finished with 410pts and last season (2019) Jackson finished with 408.  Now Mahomes had a bit of a slump in 2019 at times but turned it on down the stretch and in the playoffs.  There were times when the team was slow out of the gates but watching Mahomes play and scramble and find open receivers and keep the play alive is amazing. I think he sees the field and reads the defenses better than Jackson.

I owned Jackson last year in a keeper but thinking of trading him for Mahomes.  I may be able to get a little extra out of the Mahomes owner as well with all the hype on Jackson and Mahomes having a "quieter" year.

I really like Mahomes long term, especially in keeper leagues and still think he might be better over his career than Jackson.  Jackson's strength is in his ability to gain rushing yards which really helps raise his floor. But I'm still not set on Jackson long term when comparing him to Mahomes.  

Mahomes by a mile. 

1 hour ago, Big Nate said:

I like Mahomes more long-term, but I can see Lamar outperforming him in fantasy the next few years. It will take 50+ TD seasons from Mahomes to outscore Lamar because of Lamar's rushing ability.

I expect Mahomes to be in the top-3 nearly every season though as long as he is healthy. And more consistent than Lamar from a passing standpoint.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Big Nate said:

Mahomes is the smart pick in keeper/dynasty  IMO....

15 hours ago, Big Nate said:

Mahomes by a lot. In the dynasty league we start this year a friend of mine is going so far that he would use the first overall pick in the setup draft to ensure he gets mahomes. :D 

12 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Oh science works now, but not during deflategate.

If the league decided not to conduct any science experiments whatsoever, are you still telling me you would’ve read the textual evidence - electronic communications between Brady and former employees charged with handling the game-day footballs - and concluded something other than they cheated?!

Lamar had a nice season but that's twice now that he has fallen on his face in the playoffs.  Lamar is an outstanding runner and an okay passer.  He may have a few more good seasons before his athleticism declines, but Jackson's passing may never be good enough to get Baltimore over the top. 

Mahomes, meanwhile, is Russell Wilson plus Aaron Rodgers without the negative qualities.  Plus having a better coach, one of the all time greats.  He is on his way to becoming the Michael Jordan of football.  And he's 24.

10 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Lamar had a nice season but that's twice now that he has fallen on his face in the playoffs.  Lamar is an outstanding runner and an okay passer.  He may have a few more good seasons before his athleticism declines, but Jackson's passing may never be good enough to get Baltimore over the top. 

Mahomes, meanwhile, is Russell Wilson plus Aaron Rodgers without the negative qualities.  Plus having a better coach, one of the all time greats.  He is on his way to becoming the Michael Jordan of football.  And he's 24.

Okay someone answer this question for me, did anyone really expect Baltimore with a 21 year old rookie at QB to beat the Chargers in the playoffs that year? Baltimore winning the regular season match up two weeks earlier was an upset. I saw that game coming a mile away, the Chargers were a better football team. 

50 minutes ago, Deuce1042 said:

Okay someone answer this question for me, did anyone really expect Baltimore with a 21 year old rookie at QB to beat the Chargers in the playoffs that year? Baltimore winning the regular season match up two weeks earlier was an upset. I saw that game coming a mile away, the Chargers were a better football team. 

Not many viewed Lamar as a serious long-term QB option for the Ravens at that point, myself included. He changed my mind.

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2020 at 1:55 PM, Big Nate said:

A little extra?

Any openings in your league?

On 2/5/2020 at 2:55 PM, Big Nate said:

I don’t know many ppl that were bigger Lamar Jackson fans than myself but mahomes is the better dynasty play and I don’t think it’s very close.

Mahomes has the arm and the professional attitude to play for into his 40s like a Brady or brees. With the way the nfl wants to protect passers he will be less likely to get hurt and he has a pass happy coach as of now. Lamar may have better floor numbers now because his rushing numbers are so crazy high but he takes more hits than any other qb and more than a lot of RBs. His arm is underrated And he is getting better and better at passing but I don’t believe he has the talent to play at a high level into his late 30s once his athleticism is severely decreased. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I am thinking he makes a serious run at 50 TDs again this year.

Schedule looks a little rough when going off where last seasons defenses ranked, but not sure that is terribly static either.

Really looking forward to that playoff push with at Miami, at NO and home for falcons in weeks 14-16.

• Like 3
On 2/5/2020 at 10:33 AM, dmb3684 said:

Seemed to work out well for Brady. 

I actually think Mahomes has it better than Brady at least right now. He has the big TE in Kelce as Brady had in Gronk.  Mahomes has a backfield that can either go nuts or not much at all. Now with the addition of Edwards-Helaire we shall see what happens with that. Now Mahomes I believe has WR's two of which I think can be really stars and another in Hardman that can also be special. Brady had to rely heavily on Gronk a lot as he seemed to only have Edelman most of the time in New England as the other receivers either didn't work out or got injured.  Either was Mahomes is something special and a top QB for many years to come.