NBC Sports Edge Forums

Patrick Mahomes 2020 Outlook

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm guessing the delay in the numbers being announced is because they can't count that high.

no to we won't know or no to cancel the season? i hope the FF platforms allow us to sub out COVID locked players out of the line up. unprecedented i know, but all this for a  1% deadly virus

I think most people learn that giving money back to your employer in any way is a foolish thing. They don’t care about you. The second it’s inconvenient you’re gone. The same applies to the NFL.

1/2 a billion perhaps?  He's got to know that every year salaries are increasing.  So if you're going to sign a contract that long, you don't want to Scottie Pippen yourself and limit your earning potential.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, larfboy said:

10 year 500 mil is my guess

Too much. Not impossible but I don't think it will be that high

Seriously though he can be a billionaire by the end of his career if he handles his money well

Just now, mocha4313 said:

Too much. Not impossible but I don't think it will be that high

Seriously though he can be a billionaire by the end of his career if he handles his money well

yeah i agree. he's coming off a super bowl championship and is just 25 years old and is already the best qb in the game. joe flacco made a grip of money after his superbowl victory. i think it's high but i think it's not out of the realm of possibilities. by the end of this contract..he'll be 34 years old. arguably with 5+ years still left in his playing career at that point. crazy.

Great deal for Mahomes and Chiefs. In a few years that 45mil/year number won't be the #1 for QB's. This is what the Patriots did with Brady. And then constantly restructuring down the line to manipulate the cap.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, larfboy said:

yeah i agree. he's coming off a super bowl championship and is just 25 years old and is already the best qb in the game. joe flacco made a grip of money after his superbowl victory. i think it's high but i think it's not out of the realm of possibilities. by the end of this contract..he'll be 34 years old. arguably with 5+ years still left in his playing career at that point. crazy.

He will be 37 when the contract ends. It is 10 years + the 2 years remaining on his rookie contract.

• Like 2

Disgusting behavior by Mahomes. First he does all these no look throws and shows off his arm all the time and now he signed a half a billion dollar contract?

Kermit the Frog here clearly thinks he is so much better than his teammates and that’s a massive red flag. Massive mistake by the Chiefs. Should have stuck with a stand up guy like Alex Smith for much cheaper.

• Haha 3

I dont know how anyone turns down something so massive, so no slight on Mahomes here, but i still expected a bigger guarantee.  Per Spotrac, he gets 63 mil guaranteed at signing.   If he morphs into Fat Elvis in the next 6 months and the Chiefs have no choice but to cut bait ASAP, they're out in 2023 with 4 mil dead.   I figured that guarantee at signing would be at least double what it was.    I'm sure even with a nosedive in 2020 he gets a chance to rebound, so the 2023 salary is a virtual lock too I suppose, but i figured there wouldn't even be a question there. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, sSektor said:

Damn he's gonna be obliterating their cap for 10 straight years. Good thing their front office is great at drafting talent.

Yep, and Patrick will make those scouts look even better. It's ok to pay a player like him that pct of your cap, he'll create new Tyreek Hills and Travis Kelcie's via his own skillset and Reid's creativity.

After the first three years, the Chiefs can get out of this deal rather painlessly if they decide to do so.  They get to reassess it every year.

Odd that he would agree to that.

Edited by SharkSwimmer
  • Like 1

I've been thinking about it the last few days, but wouldn't it make the most "sense" to sign a deal like 6 years 120 mil, fully garanteed? (in other words, a cheap contract for current standards)

I get it, it's only half of the money he could get, but how much difference is a life with 120m (- taxes, however much that is in Kansas) + endorsements vs a life with 250m (- taxes) + endorsements? (rounded his contract down to 6 years, just for simplicity)
Leaving 20m on the table ever year to pay other players. 20m potentially could be a top 3 DL or 2 good LB...or whatever. Increasing his chances to win more Super Bowls and therefore being even more famous (and therefore getting even more endorsements). 

It's always easy to say "I would have taken less money" I know, but - knowing I will never have to make such a decision - I would have taken less money to help my Coach build a better team, so I have it easier to leave a legacy maybe even get to the point where I am considered with the GOATs. He has the talent for that. He has the coach for that.
Not even talking about what kind of precedent this could have been for the locker room having other player join in (although I doubt it).

tldr.: At what point is more money not worth more anymore than higher chances at winning SBs? 30m/year? 40m/year? 80m/year? never?

• Like 2

The argument of having a higher chance to win a SB because a QB is getting paid less is always brought up and always brought up without context. Any team having a core of their players on rookie contracts helps win a SB. The Seahawks had most of their core on rookie contracts, including Wilson.

Teams with longevity have to continue to hit on a draft or two every 5-10 seasons to keep the window open. If teams aren't finding stud players on rookie contracts then eventually they won't be able to pay everyone.

Atlanta should have won a SB and Ryan was one of the highest paid QB's at the time. Carolina had a chance and was paying a lot of money to Cam. Peyton was getting paid like a top QB and won twice and went to four. Brees won one being paid like the top QB. The Patriots are a terrible example to compare to since they do so much differently and have been there nearly 50% of the time over the last 20 years. But this QB contract is similar to how the Patriots handled Brady.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think most people learn that giving money back to your employer in any way is a foolish thing. They don’t care about you. The second it’s inconvenient you’re gone. The same applies to the NFL.

Sure, it’s a little different because it can help build a better team and help you win but if Mahomes for some weird reason falls off or has an injury that causes him to fall off the Chiefs will get rid of him in a heartbeat like he doesn’t matter.

Point is, get your bag as much as you can. Your job is to make as much plays and be as good as you can not figure out salary and how to sign players. Maybe towards the last contract of your career it’s worth taking some kind pay cut.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1