Darren Waller 2020 Outlook

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Called it.

Just stop. He is a top 5 TE. Caught 90+ balls last year. Ruggs is out. The pats are prepping to stop Jacobs first. Waller will get the targets.  You are not benching Waller. 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

I would bench him even if he's able to play.

Belichick takes away the #1 guy. He will build his gameplan around making sure Waller doesn't beat them. I've seen it too often.

tbh tho he didn't really do that that well against the seahawks...Lockett, Carson, and Metcalf had pretty solid nights, and Wilson coooooooked.  

5 minutes ago, matanp said:

tbh tho he didn't really do that that well against the seahawks...Lockett, Carson, and Metcalf had pretty solid nights, and Wilson coooooooked.  

that's trying to stop 4 studs...

Raiders are much different with JAcobs and Waller. 

Thinking of playing Mo Alie Cox which is crazy...but sometimes you kill yourself overthinking. If your stud doesn't perform...oh well

Just now, FooserX said:

Thinking of playing Mo Alie Cox which is crazy...but sometimes you kill yourself overthinking. If your stud doesn't perform...oh well

This is very true, that's a good point.  They pretty much have Jacobs and Waller, and Carr is obviously no Wilson.  Although they do have Ruggs.  But for sure, offensively much less talented than Seattle.  We'll see how Bill does stopping them.

33 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

I would bench him even if he's able to play.

Belichick takes away the #1 guy. He will build his gameplan around making sure Waller doesn't beat them. I've seen it too often.

BB gushing about Waller should be terrifying.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/blog/las-vegas-raiders/post/_/id/24782/bill-belichick-raiders-darren-waller-going-to-be-big-challenge-for-patriots%3fplatform=amp

It sounds like the defensive game plan is going to be throwing the kitchen sink at him.

29 minutes ago, FooserX said:

Mo Alie Cox is going to have Doyle back to rain on his parade. 

5 minutes ago, FooserX said:

Yeah, Raiders might win, but BB won't let Waller or Jacobs beat them....

Sucks because you can't bench him after 16 targets, but expectations should definitely be lowered.

25 minutes ago, BallinOnnaBudget said:

A little nervous with the matchup. I doubt Belichick is too worried about the WRs and will throw everything at LV to stop Waller (and Jacobs). 

How did that "shut down the offense's most important weapons" strategy work for Bill last week against the Seahawks? While he is the best coach in league history and his history precedes him in terms of defensive strategies and locking down the opposing team's top options, this is not the same Patriots defense as in years past. They lost a lot of talent between last year and this one, and although they had a solid showing against the Dolphins, this Raiders offense is no joke. The have more depth at their skill positions than a lot of people realize and I don't believe a singular approach of "stop Waller and let the other guys beat us" is a winning strategy when you consider their other options.

While it sounds nice, if it were as simple as "stop their running game and their best passing option" they would never lose a game. Patriots have a great defensive reputation and I'm not saying Waller has a great matchup here, but I think if there's any year the Patriots could be exposed by a guy that simply couldn't be stopped as recently as this past Monday, it's this year. You're not sitting Waller unless you have one of the other top 5/6 options sitting on your bench.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, AnchorDown said:

How did that "shut down the offense's most important weapons" strategy work for Bill last week against the Seahawks? While he is the best coach in league history and his history precedes him in terms of defensive strategies and locking down the opposing team's top options, this is not the same Patriots defense as in years past. They lost a lot of talent between last year and this one, and although they had a solid showing against the Dolphins, this Raiders offense is no joke. The have more depth at their skill positions than a lot of people realize and I don't believe a singular approach of "stop Waller and let the other guys beat us" is a winning strategy when you consider their other options.

While it sounds nice, if it were as simple as "stop their running game and their best passing option" they would never lose a game. Patriots have a great defensive reputation and I'm not saying Waller has a great matchup here, but I think if there's any year the Patriots could be exposed by a guy that simply couldn't be stopped as recently as this past Monday, it's this year. You're not sitting Waller unless you have one of the other top 5/6 options sitting on your bench.

I get what you're saying and agree you're not sitting Waller.

But that last game was against Wilson.   Carr isn't doing any of that.  

2 hours ago, AnchorDown said:

How did that "shut down the offense's most important weapons" strategy work for Bill last week against the Seahawks?

I'd counter with: how many different receivers scored in that game tho? Dk is probably their #1 but Locker is pretty much equivalent. I think with the Raiders it's pretty clearly Waller and then everyone else. It's a very different game plan vs. SEA, vs. LV. I bet Waller willl still get some catches and yards, and possibly a TD, but I also think Bill will scheme to stop him in the passing game. BB knows he doesn't have the horses on Defense this year, especially in the pass game, so I think he'll get creative. Again, Waller still very well may go for > 10 pts, but it's riskier than it was vs the Saints IMO. 

Edited by BallinOnnaBudget

Here are the targets for the Raiders this season:

Darren Waller 24 (8 in Week 1; 16 in Week 2)
Renfrow + Ruggs + Edwards + Agholor + Jones combined 19 (9; 10).

Waller is on pace for 192 targets.

You don't sit a guy like that, regardless of opposition.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Al.Davis said:

There is a large difference between trying to stop The Baller and actually stopping The Baller.  Only bench this man if you have a month's worth of hard alcohol on hand and VIP seating to the Vent & Rant thread.

Unless you have Reed and Kittle sits again.  Then i'd pivot.

7 hours ago, AnchorDown said:

Coaching against Russell Wilson isnt the same as coaching against Derek Carr

7 hours ago, CraftyRighty said:

Chucky playing head games with Coach Bill. Waller barely practiced this week due to the large role last week is my assumption.

I have him locked and loaded no worries

With Henry Ruggs out, Belichick will have 0 concern for the Raiders WRs. He will put 2 guys on Waller from start to finish, take him out of the game, and play 9-on-10 everywhere else. 

I'm still starting Waller, because you have to, but I anticipate a Dud game due to classic Belichick. A 2 catches for 18 yards type game.