NBC Sports Edge Forums

Gavin Lux 2020 Outlook

3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He already had 23 major league games started last September so his service time wait will have to be longer than someone who had never played a single game up in the majors. 

One week is the estimated safe time to wait for a pure, zero game prospect to wait. There is some ratio formula apparently to factor in the less games played this year so just be grateful it isn't one week PLUS 23 full games he will be held down for which I thought at first until brockpapersizer corrected me here.

Thanks for the clarification. Makes it awfully tough to hang onto Lux for those who are in redrafts in such a short fantasy season.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seen a couple fantasy people mention a potential platoon with the depth of LA. is LA really stupid enough to not give the top tier prospect time to develop and hit lhp? maybe im bias but i dont see an

2 minutes ago, k.k. said:

Thanks for the clarification. Makes it awfully tough to hang onto Lux for those who are in redrafts in such a short fantasy season.

I'd hold on.  People are going down like crazy with some mini covid outbreaks on teams already plus the usual injuries so even in re-drafts your IL slots will be filling making keeping Lux easier and a healthy Lux will be a huge benefit to a now decimated team come the 10th.  Drop him and all but the most shallow, casual of leagues someone will pick him up immediately and you'll never have him again the rest of the season.

And if a mini outbreak hits the Dodgers, Lux could be recalled earlier service time be damned.  Dodgers are all in it to win it this season.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mongeese said:

Is it this week he’s back?  Thought I heard August 4th somewhere.

August 10th was the date for service time someone posted here.

Also from today ...

Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said Sunday that Gavin Lux is "getting closer."

Lux was a late arrival to summer camp for undisclosed reasons and because of that he did not make the Opening Day roster. He's been working out at the team's alternate training site as he gets back up to speed and it sounds like he's almost there. Now is the time to stash Lux in your fantasy league if he's been dropped.

Source: Ken Gurnick on Twitter          Aug 2, 2020, 2:18 PM ET

To be "closer" does not equal "close" as in coming up in the next couple of days.  At least that is the subtext I see in the wording.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Dodgers recalled INF/OF Zach McKinstry from their alternate training site. McKinstry, 25, put up an impressive .300/.366/.516 batting line with 19 home runs, 78 RBI, eight stolen bases, and 70 runs scored in 121 games last season between the Double-A and Triple-A levels. The former 33rd-round pick can play all over the diamond defensively, which will be of great use in the condensed 2020 campaign.

wat

10 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Dodgers recalled INF/OF Zach McKinstry from their alternate training site. McKinstry, 25, put up an impressive .300/.366/.516 batting line with 19 home runs, 78 RBI, eight stolen bases, and 70 runs scored in 121 games last season between the Double-A and Triple-A levels. The former 33rd-round pick can play all over the diamond defensively, which will be of great use in the condensed 2020 campaign.

wat

Agreed.  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Something going on, underneath the hood..

18 minutes ago, Goatstain3 said:

Agreed.  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Something going on, underneath the hood..

Next to Kapler, Roberts is one of my least favorite managers. He plays these unnecessary games with the media all this time. I still remember when they called up Bellinger a few years back and he has adamant that he would only be up for a week or so. [...] It's not even gamesmanship, it's just being an *******

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
33 minutes ago, Goatstain3 said:

Again, it is called service time.  Lux was up in September for 23 games which pushed him back to August 10th at the earliest according to someone who read the calculations based on the shortened season formula.  I mean if you were an owner would you not try to own this guy an extra full year?

If the Dodgers are really trying to save money they could hold him back further until the re-calculated "June call-ups" date to save on arbitration year as well.  But SD is making noise so I think they won't wait more than a few days past the August 10th date.  A few days past so as to avoid the "look" of what they are doing because even though Kris Bryant lost his suit it still isn't a good look to call-up a player as soon as he hits his supposed date.  Also the date is never exact but very best guess work.

On 8/8/2020 at 6:26 AM, smeeze said:

dodgers still probably wait for the 10th, mix n match at middle infield until then.

Seager is out again and not doing baseball activities. In unrelated news tomorrow happens to be August 10th. 👀

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Wouldn’t be shocked if tomorrow’s the day

Yep. I added in the leagues he was dropped with this expectation. Hopefully there’s some news coming before lineup lock.

24 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He is the number two prospect in all of baseball right behind TB's Wander Franco.  Lux should be the Dodgers' starting 2B for a long long time.

It's about potential ABs too. In redraft I don't think he's a must add because he doesn't have a clear path to regular ABs. The Dodgers will continue to find starts for Taylor and Hernandez.

• Like 1
On 8/8/2020 at 7:26 AM, smeeze said:

dodgers still probably wait for the 10th, mix n match at middle infield until then.

It’s August 11th, Seager is out, and still no sign of Lux in LA.

What the h e double hockeysticks

1. Joc Pederson (L) LF
2. Mookie Betts (R) RF
3. Cody Bellinger (L) 1B
4. Justin Turner (R) 3B
5. AJ Pollock (R) CF
6. Max Muncy (L) DH
7. Chris Taylor (R) SS
8. E. Hernandez (R) 2B
9. Austin Barnes (R) C
Just now, tyrone biggums said:

Is anyone still holding him? Service time shouldn't be a factor anymore. 

Yeah, but only because I have an NA slot. He should have been up by now, but I’m worried he’s going to come up and only play every other day because Dave Roberts is mentally delayed

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, tyrone biggums said:

Is anyone still holding him? Service time shouldn't be a factor anymore. 

He’s still on my roster but he’s holding the seat on my bench that’s the first one out the door when someone else enticing pops up on the waiver wire. In other words, I’ll probably have dropped him by the time you read this.