NBC Sports Edge Forums

Michael Chavis 2020 Outlook

Started pretty hot, rookie wall and shoulder sprain hurt some.  Interesting later round target. Pretty greatt elligibility 1/2 with 2b being the shallowest non catcher infield spot and 1b being shallower than usual. Seems like a decently good deep league option that will qualify in good spots, MI/CI as well.  30 Home Runs doesn't seem nuts to me this year.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Started pretty hot, rookie wall and shoulder sprain hurt some.  Interesting later round target. Pretty greatt elligibility 1/2 with 2b being the shallowest non catcher infield spot and 1b being shallower than usual. Seems like a decently good deep league option that will qualify in good spots, MI/CI as well.  30 Home Runs doesn't seem nuts to me this year.

Ready for another season?

I'm in a league where we keep 8 and I was seriously considering keeping Chavis over Shohei Ohtani.

He looks like he is getting pretty big and I love anyone batting at Fenway for half the season. 

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

Saw him play a lot in Portland(AA) just wasn't impressed...I agree he will destroy some baseball's but what happens in between worries me...

On 2/8/2020 at 7:47 AM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Ready for another season?

I'm in a league where we keep 8 and I was seriously considering keeping Chavis over Shohei Ohtani.

He looks like he is getting pretty big and I love anyone batting at Fenway for half the season. 

My advice would be not to do this

• Like 1

Chavis’ role gains some clarity  

Ron Roenicke said infielder Michael Chavis will play both first and second base, splitting time with Mitch Moreland and Jose Peraza.  “When he’s swinging the bat well, he’s going to get more playing time whether it’s at first or second,” Roenicke said. “But he’s going to be out there. When he’s performing the way he can, like when he first came up last year and was so hot, you want him in the lineup.”  

Chavis struggled against lefties last season, but Roenicke believes that might be the result of a limited sample size. He believes Chavis will be more effective at the plate if he learns to lay off the high fastball.  “If you’re not really good at this pitch, which really nobody is, you really need to lay off it,” Roenicke said. “It’s more the discipline part of it. Most of those balls are high. The guys like to pitch up out of the zone, they’re usually high.  “I think if we can get (Chavis) disciplined to not chase it, pitchers have to come back into the zone,” he said. “If you get back into the zone with him, it gets dangerous. He has that much ability to drive balls whether it’s off-speed or fastballs.”

• Thanks 1

Most lefties are horrible against lefties. Chavis is one of them. Even guys like Freeman and Bellinger hit much worse than vs righties. I guess you hope Chavis improves to be decent enough, but ike mostl lhp who aren't elite, they are better in daily leagues where you can manage your roster better.

46 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Most lefties are horrible against lefties. Chavis is one of them. Even guys like Freeman and Bellinger hit much worse than vs righties. I guess you hope Chavis improves to be decent enough, but ike mostl lhp who aren't elite, they are better in daily leagues where you can manage your roster better.

Chavis is a right handed bat so he should be able to improve a lot vs LHP.

8 HR in 106 AB is good but 37 K's is yikes vs LHP.

Edited by turner46
adding more
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...
3 hours ago, fredo_corleone said:

Do you think we'll be seeing a lot of Chavis this season (regular ABs from the infield) or is it mostly moreland/peraza?

Chavis will play 1B versus lefties.  Moreland only plays against righties.  He will get some starts at 2B but how many we don't know.  Peraza surprised in summer camp so a lot depends on his play moving forward.  Bobby Dalbec waits in the wings (1B) complicating matters after he clears service time issues.

• 4 weeks later...

Latest News

Aug 19, 7:02 AM EDT

Chavis went 0-for-5 with five strikeouts and had a throwing error in Tuesday's 13-6 loss to Philadelphia.

Analysis

Chavis got the start at second base against a right-hander, which is an unusual occurrence in 2020. Typically, manager Ron Roenicke uses Jose Peraza or Jonathan Arauz against righties. Chavis has now fanned 24 times in 53 at-bats (42.9 K%).  Fantrax.