NBC Sports Edge Forums

Carlos Correa 2020 Outlook

The dude has alway been talents. The real question is can he play a full season? So far....not really. So he is he fun to invest in....yet the guy is a china doll. Or not?

We all want to invest into  a 25 year old pure bat. In the top 100 hitters?....yes....In the top 50 hitters....maybe.....in the top 20 hitters.....no...cant rely on health.

Give us a proper break down...thanks mate.

No chance in hell is anyone reaching or investing heavily in a dude who shattered a rib during a massage.  Top 5 most fragile player in baseball.  While you can’t predict injuries there’s a massively high probability he misses a big chunk of games.  Also prone to being very slow healer.  Doesn’t run much.  He’s being drafted around 11-14 SS which is right around where he should be gone.  He got the necessary correction for Adp that he should have.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

As much as I don’t like him, the pendulum may have swung too far.  Going at around 99adp now.  If he dips past 100, May have to start thinking about him if i need a SS.

Agreed, although if he starts out hot I'd probably be inclined to sell high in May/June rather than bank on him staying healthy all year.  

• 1 month later...

Anyone else more interested now with shortened season?

He has to be able to stay pretty healthy at 60% of the normal season right?

I think I'm buying low on guys this year who are studs when healthy but can't stay healthy for a FULL season. This may be the year, especially in dynasties where most but the top rookies will not be up other much PT.

Look to move the studs later in year or off-season for some of them specs that didn't play at a bargain...win win imo

• Like 2

He was on my dnd list earlier this year prior to all this crap going on. Now I'm a bit more intrigued but for me to draft him it's going to depend on my roster construction leading up to where he's being taken around pick 101. If I have a bunch of high floor guys and another option at SS, which is entirely possible with how deep it is this year, I would be more willing to take the plunge than if I had a couple other higher risk players already on my roster. But if he plays a "full season", whatever that may be, he could be a steal at that ADP. 

I'm thinking about health risk guys this year.

So, I feel like consensus thinking seems to be something like, "less games = less likely guys who typically get hurt do get hurt."

Which would be true, if injuries all happened at the end of the year.

But that's not always the case though.  I don't know if a shorter season mitigates injury risk, if anything I think an injury is just more difficult to work around because that's a larger percentage of the season you have to play a replacement.

Further, if we're more of the idea that "use = great injury risk" then less days off and more doubleheaders heighten that as well.  And if their managers are managing around it (like Dusty may with Correa, for instance) then you kinda have to carry a second SS.

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

So, I feel like consensus thinking seems to be something like, "less games = less likely guys who typically get hurt do get hurt."

But that's not always the case though.  I don't know if a shorter season mitigates injury risk, if anything I think an injury is just more difficult to work around because that's a larger percentage of the season you have to play a replacement.

Further, if we're more of the idea that "use = great injury risk" then less days off and more doubleheaders heighten that as well.  And if their managers are managing around it (like Dusty may with Correa, for instance) then you kinda have to carry a second SS.

I think you just completely changed my stance on this haha. 

• Haha 2
12 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

What if he gets injured right away? Hand sanitizers can be dangerous for him, he might break his hand.

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 1:43 PM, JE7HorseGod said:

Heck of a point. I think previous injury type could be a factor as well. Correa has had injuries/issues to his Back each of the past two seasons. I'm not considering the fractured rib. He is only 25 but has dealt with back spasms. I'm not going to pretend to be a doctor but maybe he doesn't do the little things to condition or take care of his body in the off season and during the season? 

• Thanks 1
On 3/30/2020 at 1:43 AM, JE7HorseGod said:

Man. Great point.  Basically, the risk of any given injury occurring goes down. But the impact goes up when it happens.  Those two things more or less cancel each other out. 

• Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...