NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ronald Acuna 2020 Outlook

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So many things wrong with this post. A 22 year old has peaked? You criticize Acuna because he struck out 188 times in 156 games as a 21 year old in 2019? Mike Trout struck out 184 times

[That's enough of the fat jokes. Find something constructive to say.]

He is talented but I wouldn't say right now that he's a sure thing to be in the first round. If I had to bet, I would bet he is. 

Posted Images

Canseco reached 40-40 at age 23 and never came close again. But, different bodies and different games. ARod got there at age 22 and never came close again. Again, fully acknowledge they were different players. Just saying that Acuna approaching those numbers last year doesn’t mean he’ll get there again. Now Alfonso Soriano finally entered the club as a 30yr old, but he was on the cusp in his second full season at age 26. He was in the neighborhood at age 27.  Bonds was in the vicinity at age 27, got there at age 31, and came close at age 32.

As an Acuna owner in a keeper league, I just look at history and believe that it’s really not in his favor to reach the 40-40. And if he does, it’s highly unlikely he’ll get there again. But as the old saying goes...there’s a first time for everything. Lol. 

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

Canseco reached 40-40 at age 23 and never came close again. But, different bodies and different games. ARod got there at age 22 and never came close again. Again, fully acknowledge they were different players. Just saying that Acuna approaching those numbers last year doesn’t mean he’ll get there again. Now Alfonso Soriano finally entered the club as a 30yr old, but he was on the cusp in his second full season at age 26. He was in the neighborhood at age 27.  Bonds was in the vicinity at age 27, got there at age 31, and came close at age 32.

As an Acuna owner in a keeper league, I just look at history and believe that it’s really not in his favor to reach the 40-40. And if he does, it’s highly unlikely he’ll get there again. But as the old saying goes...there’s a first time for everything. Lol. 

wonder what they all had in common? not sure if soriano got popped or not for steroids

hanely came close his first couple years as well 29/50 33/35. not quit 40/40 but fantasy wise 30/50 is probably better

braun went 30/30 and 40/30 later in his ped career

• 4 months later...

ACUNA LOOKS ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE

2-for-18 start, 11 K's. Looks Chubby. Not hustling. Needs to cut his hair. Needs to cut down on the # of accessories he wears in a game.

#jus sayin

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I know it’s only a handful of games into the condensed season but he looks tick off. Slow to recognize pitches maybe? Didn’t he start off last year hitting 2nd or 3rd then he was moved to lead off? Hopefully just a slow start. 

1 minute ago, Hatfieldodger said:

I know it’s only a handful of games into the condensed season but he looks tick off. Slow to recognize pitches maybe? Didn’t he start off last year hitting 2nd or 3rd then he was moved to lead off? Hopefully just a slow start. 

I would've said it was just the filthy Rays pitching today...but he had 8 K's in 3 games entering today...and against the Mets without DeGrom and Thor...

He looks really slow out there. Not recognizing pitches...Kinda just swinging and hoping he makes contact. To me, it looks like he gained a little weight too.

Not a great start though..

This POS is making me hope MLB shuts the season down so I can get my money back...He is useless

1 minute ago, Dr. Whom said:

This POS is making me hope MLB shuts the season down so I can get my money back...He is useless

Lmao.  I owned him last year.  He was cold the first 3-4 weeks of season.  I know it’s a short season but he will get his.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CORTEz said:

2-for-18 start, 11 K's. Looks Chubby. Not hustling. Needs to cut his hair. Needs to cut down on the # of accessories he wears in a game.

#jus sayin

My nephew and I thought it was Manny Ramirez in a Braves uni out there when we flipped it to the game earlier🤣

2 hours ago, CORTEz said:

#jus sayin

#....

12 hours ago, CORTEz said:

I would've said it was just the filthy Rays pitching today...but he had 8 K's in 3 games entering today...and against the Mets without DeGrom and Thor...

They did have deGrom, though. He went 1/2 against him.

By the way, guys who have a worse wRC+ than Acuna so far: Charlie Blackmon, Kris Bryant, Christian Yelich, Francisco Lindor.

It's early, guys.

Edited by Hanghow
  • Like 1

I don’t think anyone here is actually worried about Acuna. Just stating he looks out of shape and not really prepared for the season. Almost like he didn’t get enough spring training in. He’ll be fine, just a short season amplifies a slow start. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, CORTEz said:

He looks really slow out there. Not recognizing pitches...Kinda just swinging and hoping he makes contact. To me, it looks like he gained a little weight too.

Not a great start though..

deGrom pitched the opener against the Braves. 

On 7/28/2020 at 3:09 AM, reichl555 said:

Lmao.  I owned him last year.  He was cold the first 3-4 weeks of season.  I know it’s a short season but he will get his.

He will get his what. Tater tots? Corn dogs?

Looks overweight and slow out there. Clearly not training hard over lockdown but likely snacking and playing video games.

I had Q's about him returning top 5 value due to his K/BB. Pitchers will clearly have been looking at ways to better exploit his swing over the long break, he's only a baby still so may have to make some adjustments.

3 hours ago, swfcdan said:

He will get his what. Tater tots? Corn dogs?

Looks overweight and slow out there. Clearly not training hard over lockdown but likely snacking and playing video games.

I had Q's about him returning top 5 value due to his K/BB. Pitchers will clearly have been looking at ways to better exploit his swing over the long break, he's only a baby still so may have to make some adjustments.

What’s wrong with his k:bb ratio? Nearly identical to trout as a 22 yr old. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mcbane said:

What’s wrong with his k:bb ratio? Nearly identical to trout as a 22 yr old. 

Somebody lost on out him on draft day and justified it in their head afterwards.

Incidentally, his 2019 k:bb ratio was almost identical to Nelson Cruz; it doesn't seem to have portended doom for him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Hanghow said:

Somebody lost on out him on draft day and justified it in their head afterwards.

Incidentally, his 2019 k:bb ratio was almost identical to Nelson Cruz; it doesn't seem to have portended doom for him.

Apparently. I’d love to see Acuna shave down the k rate to the 22-24% level, but you can’t be mad at a 22yr old with a double digit walk rate with good contact rates who isn’t killed by k’s....yeah. What a problem. 

also, own no shares anywhere. Wish I did. 

• Like 1