NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ronald Acuna 2020 Outlook

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So many things wrong with this post. A 22 year old has peaked? You criticize Acuna because he struck out 188 times in 156 games as a 21 year old in 2019? Mike Trout struck out 184 times

[That's enough of the fat jokes. Find something constructive to say.]

He is talented but I wouldn't say right now that he's a sure thing to be in the first round. If I had to bet, I would bet he is. 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Rotofan24 said:

Will be interesting to see where people out him next year. Maybe a kamara like situation, probably will still go in first round

As he should? Just wait until the postseason when he mashes. You're premature here.

Edited by cdd10
Just now, Rotofan24 said:

I don't think so. Theirs no way he finishes the regular season as the #1 pick. Im not going to speculate on postseason. 

He doesn't have to but I dont' see any way he falls out of the 1st round. And yes postseason has an effect. 

• Like 1
Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

He is definitely in the first round and probably in the top three.

Lot of good young players taking the leap. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the second half of the first round or early second round depending on what he does from here on out. Would you take him over Tatis, Betts, Trout? I would think those are consensus top 3 right now.

Just now, Rotofan24 said:

Lot of good young players taking the leap. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the second half of the first round or early second round depending on what he does from here on out. Would you take him over Tatis, Betts, Trout? I would think those are consensus top 3 right now.

Yes I would.  Trout is older and will be slowing down with steals.  Betts' body type wears down more over a full season.  Tatis is only rival I see and Acuna has as slightly longer track record and SS is actually deeper than the outfield these days so you can still get an excellent SS in a later round.

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yes I would.  Trout is older and will be slowing down with steals.  Betts' body type wears down more over a full season.  Tatis is only rival I see and Acuna has as slightly longer track record and SS is actually deeper than the outfield these days so you can still get an excellent SS in a later round.

You could make those arguments but I don't think that will be consensus 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

. There are so many awesome players. I'd take Soto over Acuna but obviously as a braves fan I love me some Acuna

Edited by cdd10
  • Like 1
42 minutes ago, Rotofan24 said:

Will be interesting to see where people out him next year. Maybe a kamara like situation, probably will still go in first round

He’s a top 5 FOR SURE even if he would hurt himself tomorrow and miss the remainder of the season.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rotofan24 said:

He is talented but I wouldn't say right now that he's a sure thing to be in the first round. If I had to bet, I would bet he is. 

What are you even basing this on? Is it purely an injury thing? He's played 27 games this year, exactly a sixth of a season. In a full 162 games, he's currently on pace for 54 home runs and 12 stolen bases. Will the home run pace go down? Probably. But the stolen bases will also significantly go up. He's also walking at a career high ~18% clip while the strike out rate has dropped back down to his career average after a bad start.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, TraBuch said:

What are you even basing this on? Is it purely an injury thing? He's played 27 games this year, exactly a sixth of a season. In a full 162 games, he's currently on pace for 54 home runs and 12 stolen bases. Will the home run pace go down? Probably. But the stolen bases will also significantly go up. He's also walking at a career high ~18% clip while the strike out rate has dropped back down to his career average after a bad start.

Yes, mostly on injury and performance. I acknowledge that he has heated up recently which make his numbers look a lot better than they did last week and if you prorate his performance and ignore a significant chunk of the time he missed he looks pretty good.

With respect to 2021, if you miss on your first round pick your season is probably dust. I'm not saying he's not going to be valuable next year, I'm saying his performance in 2020 (taken as a whole) puts a dent on his very high valuation as the #1 pick in 2020 and that I could see him being a late first rounder or early second rounder. I do not think he will go in the top 3 next year, as I previously stated.  

4 minutes ago, Rotofan24 said:

Yes, mostly on injury and performance. I acknowledge that he has heated up recently which make his numbers look a lot better than they did last week and if you prorate his performance and ignore a significant chunk of the time he missed he looks pretty good.

With respect to 2021, if you miss on your first round pick your season is probably dust. I'm not saying he's not going to be valuable next year, I'm saying his performance in 2020 (taken as a whole) puts a dent on his very high valuation as the #1 pick in 2020 and that I could see him being a late first rounder or early second rounder. I do not think he will go in the top 3 next year, as I previously stated.  

Your season is not dust just because you miss on your first rd pick. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Rotofan24 said:

He is such a talented player that even if he misses some time or goes in a slump he can make up ground real quick. Maybe he's a better roto player than head to head, but there's no doubt in my mind he'll be a top 3 pick next year. I currently have him 1st overall in my way-too-early 2021 rankings but Tatis Jr is right there.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, slaphitter said:

It's all about the SBs. That's the tiebreaker for the most part. Who can you count on to run nowadays?

Out of the current top 25 hitters:

Tatis (7 steals), Betts (6), Turner (5), Machado (3), Story (9), Hernandez (5), Ramirez (9), Tucker (5), Anderson (4), Swansby (4), Robert (4)

• Like 1