NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mike Trout 2020 Outlook

16 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

I have the first pick too in a redraft and I didn't even hesitate to take Trout. Last year's injury was just bad luck, had surgery and it is all fixed now. I think some guys like Acuna because of the stolen base potential, but a fully healthy season from Trout with the rubber ball that Mlb is using, we are looking at a 50 homer season and better avg. and obp than Acuna's

Acuna may be the better fantasy player due to the steals, but Trout is one of the best offensive players of all time. Acuna will never have the plate discipline that Trout does. Acuna posted a 126 wRC+ last season. Trout's lowest wRC+ in any season was 167. It's crazy. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trout's Mom   

Ever been a new dad?  You begin to realize you need to watch your promises,  as it ain't all about you anymore.   At the time im sure he felt that way.  As you get closer to being a new dad,  rea

I would enjoy watching Mike Trout in the post season sometime soon.  Baseball fans and Angel fans deserve it.    

Just sharing something I came across while researching. The Cubs hardly ran under Maddon (was it because of Maddon or because of the players he had I don't know). However the Angels as a team have run quite a bit.

On 2/14/2020 at 8:55 PM, Brooklyn Dude said:

I would enjoy watching Mike Trout in the post season sometime soon.  Baseball fans and Angel fans deserve it.

With the starting pitching staff they plan to trot out there they be lucky to win 75 games. Julio Teheran is your ACE?  Matt Andriese  Andrew Heaney Dylan Bundy LMFAO! Good luck.  Angels won;t win a game if they don;t score at least 6 runs.  Trout will be a HOF player without playing in 1 playoff game if they don't get better pitchers then those guys. That being said I got Trout on my team so I hope he gets 50 hrs 30 steals.

7 minutes ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

With the starting pitching staff they plan to trot out there they be lucky to win 75 games. Julio Teheran is your ACE?  Matt Andriese  Andrew Heaney Dylan Bundy LMFAO! Good luck.  Angels won;t win a game if they don;t score at least 6 runs.  Trout will be a HOF player without playing in 1 playoff game if they don't get better pitchers then those guys. That being said I got Trout on my team so I hope he gets 50 hrs 30 steals.

Billy Eppler is one of worst GMs in baseball.  His pitching moves rival Jerry Dipito for worst I’ve seen in last decade.  Last offseason he got CAHILL, HARVEY AND CODY ALLEN.  That’s like getting coronavirus, AIDS and Gonorrhea injected into your team at once.  This loser should of been fired last year.  Angels are wasting Trout with awful GM’s and Pujols deal.  Pretty sad.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Billy Eppler is one of worst GMs in baseball.  His pitching moves rival Jerry Dipito for worst I’ve seen in last decade.  Last offseason he got CAHILL, HARVEY AND CODY ALLEN.  That’s like getting coronavirus, AIDS and Gonorrhea injected into your team at once.  This loser should of been fired last year.  Angels are wasting Trout with awful GM’s and Pujols deal.  Pretty sad.

Yes I agree its very sad that maybe one of the top 5 greatest baseball players to ever play the game is stuck on a team that will never see the playoffs.  If the Angels were serious they be spending Dodgers money to compete. They should have broke the bank and got Rendon in here with COLE  Dallas Keuchel and  then go out and try to trade for a Kluber who texas got for about nothing,  And maybe Lindor  to boost the line up even more.  Baseball don;t have a Cap and the Angels got money coming out there ears compared to the Oakland Houston Texas and Seattles of the worlds in that division.  Trout should be competing with the RedSox Yankees for the AL title every yr  with the money they got.  So here we are 2020 and they be lucky to beat out Texas for 3rd in that division I got Oak Houston Texas  Angels then Seattle in that division this yr

Edited by Trexpenniebaker
add
53 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

thought it was bad giving  cj "straight edge" wilson 77.5 mil or hamilton 125 mil...quick refresher for long term contract. https://www.mlb.com/news/albert-pujols-c-j-wilson-signed-huge-deals-c263122482

which im sure has some impact on previous f/a signings. looks like trout taking the ripkin route 13 year gap between playoff appearances (half way there)

3 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

thought it was bad giving  cj "straight edge" wilson 77.5 mil or hamilton 125 mil...quick refresher for long term contract. https://www.mlb.com/news/albert-pujols-c-j-wilson-signed-huge-deals-c263122482

which im sure has some impact on previous f/a signings. looks like trout taking the ripkin route 13 year gap between playoff appearances (half way there)

Angels have been hamstrung by horrid GMs.  3 of last 4 have been Bavasi, Dipito and Eppler.  I think combined those guys have 20 years of GM experience without a single playoff win.  Good thing the Mariners saw how bad Bavasi and Dipito were though and hired both.  🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

Yes I agree its very sad that maybe one of the top 5 greatest baseball players to ever play the game is stuck on a team that will never see the playoffs.  If the Angels were serious they be spending Dodgers money to compete. They should have broke the bank and got Rendon in here with COLE  Dallas Keuchel and  then go out and try to trade for a Kluber who texas got for about nothing,  And maybe Lindor  to boost the line up even more.  Baseball don;t have a Cap and the Angels got money coming out there ears compared to the Oakland Houston Texas and Seattles of the worlds in that division.  Trout should be competing with the RedSox Yankees for the AL title every yr  with the money they got.  So here we are 2020 and they be lucky to beat out Texas for 3rd in that division I got Oak Houston Texas  Angels then Seattle in that division this yr

Nah. I felt like this before. But he’s not stuck. He decided to sign a long contract with this team. This was his decision. 

On 3/5/2020 at 12:20 AM, Trexpenniebaker said:

With the starting pitching staff they plan to trot out there they be lucky to win 75 games. Julio Teheran is your ACE?  Matt Andriese  Andrew Heaney Dylan Bundy LMFAO! Good luck.  Angels won;t win a game if they don;t score at least 6 runs.  Trout will be a HOF player without playing in 1 playoff game if they don't get better pitchers then those guys. That being said I got Trout on my team so I hope he gets 50 hrs 30 steals.

Andrew Heaney is not bad, neither is Patrick Sandoval

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

this will/might be trouts age 28 season. havent seen trout go 1.1 an any of my 7 drafts

griffey jr age 28 season -56 hrs 146 rbi 120 runs 20 sb 284 avg 977 ops

could be massive swing and miss passing on trout this year

Except this is not going to be a normal season. Trout's wife is due to have their 1st child in August and he will not miss that - guaranteed. What if the players are still under restrictions in August and if he leaves he will have to be under quarantine for 14 days when he comes back? That is something that I'm concerned about. Two weeks is pretty big in an already abbreviated season. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I just wanted to say it rather sucks that it appears likely we will miss 1 and maybe 2 Years of this guys performance.  The greatest player of the generation and one of the best all time.

I wonder if this is what It felt like For fans when Ted Williams enrolled for WW2.

3 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

I just wanted to say it rather sucks that it appears likely we will miss 1 and maybe 2 Years of this guys performance.  The greatest player of the generation and one of the best all time.

I wonder if this is what It felt like For fans when Ted Williams enrolled for WW2.

Please don’t compare Trout to Ted Williams. Williams was a true patriot in every sense of the word. Serving for our country during the prime of his career. Could you imagine Trout having to serve in the midst of his prime? He has trouble just staying healthy averaging 125 games the last three years. Trouts just worried about getting “his” from what he has said on Twitter.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

Please don’t compare Trout to Ted Williams. Williams was a true patriot in every sense of the word. Serving for our country during the prime of his career. Could you imagine Trout having to serve in the midst of his prime? He has trouble just staying healthy averaging 125 games the last three years. Trouts just worried about getting “his” from what he has said on Twitter.

OT but historic stuff cause history is me:  Williams was in training and then assigned state-side during most of WWII.  But he was called up again during the Korean War where he was re-trained on jets quickly and fought on the front lines of that war serving at one time as future astronaut John Glenn's wingman during combat missions.  All told he missed three full years and the lion's share of two others (only 6 games one year and 36 another year) to military service.

Nearly 5 full years of his prime.  Wow.  What baseball player would even serve in the military period these days?  Probably only a service academy graduate that is so good they are drafted like Noah Song (Boston prospect currently) who will look for early release next year after one year's service in the navy.  (He too is training to fly jets.  What is it about the Sox and jet fighter pilots).

Sorry, I like Mike Trout just fine.  But this comparison is oranges and apples.  And there were a lot of other apples other than Ted Williams that went off to war.  So many that major league baseball's product really went down.  Enough so that women got to briefly have "a league of their own"  which might be a good idea for now again at the rate things are going.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

OT but historic stuff cause history is me:  Williams was in training and then assigned state-side during most of WWII.  But he was called up again during the Korean War where he was re-trained on jets quickly and fought on the front lines of that war serving at one time as future astronaut John Glenn's wingman during combat missions.  All told he missed three full years and the lion's share of two others (only 6 games one year and 36 another year) to military service.

Nearly 5 full years of his prime.  Wow.  What baseball player would even serve in the military period these days?  Probably only a service academy graduate that is so good they are drafted like Noah Song (Boston prospect currently) who will look for early release next year after one year's service in the navy.  (He too is training to fly jets.  What is it about the Sox and jet fighter pilots).

Sorry, I like Mike Trout just fine.  But this comparison is oranges and apples.  And there were a lot of other apples other than Ted Williams that went off to war.  So many that major league baseball's product really went down.  Enough so that women got to briefly have "a league of their own"  which might be a good idea for now again at the rate things are going.

Yeah just amazing when you think about it, a true hero. He was so good that when he came back from WWII he won al mvp just a flat out stud.

While i love me some Ted, I'm tired of the pure hero narrative the old guys get.  Yes,  all the above was true.  He was also all about getting paid,  on record saying the same stuff players say today.  He was also a self admitted terrible father,  and cut off half his family solely because the were Mexican.  He's flawed like all of us.  

And Trout actually cares about defense.  Easily the best ball player ive ever seen.  And really it ain't that close

5 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

While i love me some Ted, I'm tired of the pure hero narrative the old guys get.  Yes,  all the above was true.  He was also all about getting paid,  on record saying the same stuff players say today.  He was also a self admitted terrible father,  and cut off half his family solely because the were Mexican.  He's flawed like all of us.  

And Trout actually cares about defense.  Easily the best ball player ive ever seen.  And really it ain't that close

Shouldn’t the best player you have ever seen have won a playoff game by now? In his 8 year career he’s 1-12 with the angels being swept by the royals. Don’t get me wrong I draft Trout any chance I get but he’s no Ted Williams not even close. But hey at least that one playoff hit was a homer.

1 hour ago, sjs1890 said:

Shouldn’t the best player you have ever seen have won a playoff game by now? In his 8 year career he’s 1-12 with the angels being swept by the royals. Don’t get me wrong I draft Trout any chance I get but he’s no Ted Williams not even close. But hey at least that one playoff hit was a homer.

smh... "this isn't basketball j rock"

takes 20+ guys to make playoffs in baseball not 3-4 like in basketball.

1 hour ago, colepenhagen said:

smh... "this isn't basketball j rock"

takes 20+ guys to make playoffs in baseball not 3-4 like in basketball.

What does basketball have to do with anything lol? Football, hockey, soccer pretty much every team sport takes more than 3-4 players to make playoffs. Even basketball takes more than 3-4 players to make playoffs. Such a silly comment lol.

Edited by sjs1890
9 hours ago, sjs1890 said:

You are right - Trout is no Ted Williams. Williams had 5 post season hits (all singles) while hitting a robust .200. If you knew Trout, you would realize how petty your criticism is. If you can find a quote where Trout talks about "getting his" or even discusses the money aspect of this disagreement please post it. The Trout I know would play for NOTHING. Obviously he doesn't have to but if you think he is motivated by money, you have no clue who Mike Trout really is. You have no idea the endorsements he could have IF he was all abut the money. He could have went the free agent route IF he was all about the money but he stayed loyal to an organization that probably doesn't deserve it. If you think Mike Trout plays for the money - show your work! 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Crusaderfan said:

You are right - Trout is no Ted Williams. Williams had 5 post season hits (all singles) while hitting a robust .200. If you knew Trout, you would realize how petty your criticism is. If you can find a quote where Trout talks about "getting his" or even discusses the money aspect of this disagreement please post it. The Trout I know would play for NOTHING. Obviously he doesn't have to but if you think he is motivated by money, you have no clue who Mike Trout really is. You have no idea the endorsements he could have IF he was all abut the money. He could have went the free agent route IF he was all about the money but he stayed loyal to an organization that probably doesn't deserve it. If you think Mike Trout plays for the money - show your work! 

Trout is a phenomenal player but to say he would play for no money is laughable. Why so many excuses for the best player many have ever seen? Before Trout came the angels frequently made playoffs even winning the World Series in 2002. Just my opinion but the best in every other sport have playoff success.

1 hour ago, sjs1890 said:

Trout is a phenomenal player but to say he would play for no money is laughable. Why so many excuses for the best player many have ever seen? Before Trout came the angels frequently made playoffs even winning the World Series in 2002. Just my opinion but the best in every other sport have playoff success.

This is baseball, not basketball.  I think others said the same but you ignored or can't/won't read.

• Like 2