• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm team Degrom over Cole. 

Jake is my by far and away #1 SP this year. Cole is on my Do not draft list. Big time SP coming off a career year with the new shiny contract. I don't think he will be horrible, of course, but I

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

What late start?  And yes he is Hall of Fame bound.

He didn't start pitching until he was like 26 or something. He is not guarantee hall of fame bound, he needs another five years at least of elite production and he's already pretty old 

2 minutes ago, Rotofan24 said:

He didn't start pitching until he was like 26 or something. He is not guarantee hall of fame bound, he needs another five years at least of elite production and he's already pretty old 

26 is still  pretty young for a pitcher to come up.  Pitchers usually don't hit their prime until around 30 unlike position players.  And no he doesn't need 5 more years though hopefully he will have that and more.  He is one of the most dominate pitchers of his era and will definitely go into Cooperstown.

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

26 is still  pretty young for a pitcher to come up.  Pitchers usually don't hit their prime until around 30 unlike position players.  And no he doesn't need 5 more years though hopefully he will have that and more.  He is one of the most dominate pitchers of his era and will definitely go into Cooperstown.

Strong disagree

• Haha 1
32 minutes ago, 80version said:

He is HoF bound.  Seven years of dominance under his belt, already.  It will take a lot of misfortune or one really bad break to keep him out at this point.  

I would say he is on pace, but his late start and his need to put up significant years of production mean he's no sure thing. Next season he will be 33. The interesting thing will be if he wins a third cy young (and maybe a fourth) and then drops off a cliff. 

On 9/7/2020 at 12:35 AM, Rotofan24 said:

I would say he is on pace, but his late start and his need to put up significant years of production mean he's no sure thing. Next season he will be 33. The interesting thing will be if he wins a third cy young (and maybe a fourth) and then drops off a cliff. 

I would think anyone who wins 4 Cy Young awards, belongs in HOF. Even Roger Clemens.
In history, only 21 players won 2 or more Cy Young awards
only 10 players won 3 or more
and only 4 players won 4 or more. Roger Clemens is the only one not in the HOF, because of PED and lying to the congress.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, JCD said:

I would think anyone who wins 4 Cy Young awards, belongs in HOF. Even Roger Clemens.
In history, only 21 players won 2 or more Cy Young awards
only 10 players won 3 or more
and only 4 players won 4 or more. Roger Clemens is the only one not in the HOF, because of PED and lying to the congress.

I think I would have to agree. His peak would have been too peaky to not make it if he wins 4 cy youngs or maybe even 3. I think all 3 cy young award winners have made the hall. 

Two cy young award winners are not guaranteed to make the hall (Lincecum (although not yet eligible probably won't make it), Santana are two modern examples) . DeGrom's career numbers are not hall of fame worthy right now. 

He currently has 1,325 Ks, which is short of the 2,500 K milestone people typically look at. And while we know the shortcoming of counting wins, certainly some voters will still have a bias against his win total (69).  

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Out after the 2nd inning .. anybody know whats going on ? 

9 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

hamstring

Yeah, hamstring spasm.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-jacob-degrom-leaves-game-updates-20200917-m2jkukgtsreahhcms7gqoofe4q-story.html

He has become the pitcher version of Mike Trout. Two straight CY Young Awards (maybe three) and three straight years of pitching 200+ innings of dominant innings yet his team hasn’t been to the playoffs since 2015. It’s embarrassing. I understand Mets fans are happy that Cohen is buying the team but their team has already wasted five straight years of prime DeGrom.