NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Heriberto Hernandez C/1b - TX

brockpapersizer

I forgot which poster told me to keep an eye on him before last season on DMs, but that was a good call.  

I wouldn't get too attached to the catcher eligibility and he won't bring in steals, but I think he could be a pretty special hitter. He's someone not even in some top 100s and even when he is, he isn't by a lot.  I might have him close to my top 50 for fantasy. 

jt: What can you tell me about Heriberto Hernandez? Any chance he stays at catcher? If not, anything more than a DH in the cards for him?

12:58
Eric A Longenhagen: Love him. LF/DH, yes. Don’t think he can catch. Maybe he can catch certain kinds of guys, and they should just keep catching him in case rule changes make him viable. He rakes. Huge plate coverage, barrell accuracy, power.
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Team Dynasty said:

I like him as well. Hoping to get him in a late round of our rookie draft. Definitely will shoot up if he is a catcher. 

Legit think he has a special sort of bat that plays anywhere. He could have a Yordan\JD like bat potential that's fine to have at 1b/Of/DH

If he somehow stays at catcher, could be the number 1 fantasy catcher. I wouldn't count on catcher. 

Super Excited about this guys as well!  Some information about where he could end up on diamond:

“I think the plan right now is to find creative ways to keep his bat in the lineup every day,” Hagen says. “We’re honestly not sure where he will ultimately end up (defensively), but with the trend within the game, we know that versatility will only help his case. He will get plenty of work (in camp) in the outfield on his routes, angles, ground balls and most importantly, in-game reads.”

At 6’1, Hernandez is not much bigger than Khris Davis, and there are those who believe his power potential might eventually invoke the same name. Hernandez has quickly gone from “sort of old to be signing” to “sort of young to be playing full-season ball every day,” but the 20-year-old is no longer thought of as the former. He’s about two months away from settling in as the latter.

These quotes are from Matt Hagen, newly appointed "Field Manager' for the Rangers.  He will be responsible for the instruction and development of the organization’s minor-league position players. Part of that is having significant input on player assignments — that is, not only what uniform they play in but at what positions. For Hagen, both decisions on Hernandez have yet to be made.

Link to full article (pay wall):

https://theathletic.com/1594074/2020/02/10/farm-futures-rangers-top-outfield-prospects-include-several-converting-from-other-positions/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2/28/20 Longenhagen FG"s chat:

12:07
Reynolds: you mentioned that Heriberto was your favorite guy from back half of top 100. what makes him special to you/separates him from peers on the list?

12:08
Eric A Longenhagen: I just like watching him rake. It’s ‘favorite’ in the same way that butter pecan is my favorite, not that I like Heriberto more than others from an analysis standpoint. I’ve just never seen a player hit the ball so hard so consistently here in Arizona in my five years of living here.

12:37
Walter Sobchak: Your top 100 mentioned that you were as confident in Heriberto’s hit/power projection as almost anyone you’d seen in the AZL. What separated him from any number of other guys who rake there?

12:38
Eric A Longenhagen: Some of it is circumstantial (the amount I saw him, who I saw him touch up {especially in the fall}) and some of it is data (go look at the hitters’ TM data on The Board)

12:38
Eric A Longenhagen: That’s a 20 y/o doing that
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, BIG SHOCKER said:

Can anyone compare Hernandez to Huff? Who is the Rangers C of the future and can either slide to another position? It would be nice to get both bats in the lineup!

Hernandez isn’t really a catcher. There’s a slim chance he might catch a few games here and there and steal C eligibility, but he’s not getting in Huff’s way. If he pans out he’ll be more like Yordan Alvarez - you hope he can play 1B or LF passably enough not to have to DH, but the bat will play anywhere.

30 minutes ago, BIG SHOCKER said:

Can anyone compare Hernandez to Huff? Who is the Rangers C of the future and can either slide to another position? It would be nice to get both bats in the lineup!

Huff is certainly a ton more likely to log MLB innings at the catcher position, even if he is not considered a strong overall defensive prospect. Most of the issues seem relevant to his size 6'4" and 230+ lbs. He does have good/soft hands and his framing numbers were strong to very strong in last years sample (+2.9 runs). Good arm but poor pop times and obv with that sort of size he does not move well laterally.

Hernandez is pretty close to being an elite bat, def from the power side of things already. He prob won't be able to catch, though. At 20, maybe he can improve with further reps and instruction to be a once per week type of MLB catcher, but the bat is so special and advanced it might be much more prudent to stick him in a corner OF spot, so as not to drag his overall player dev down and keep him on a much faster track.

Good Stuff Fellas, I wonder what his ETA is? I have a 5 man prospect farm team and have Jung, Huff, Gilbert, Rodriguez and Garcia. I don’t think any of those guys are worth dropping for him.

Nevertheless, I’m ready for some fresh new bats and bring life back to the new BallPark!

22 hours ago, BIG SHOCKER said:

Good Stuff Fellas, I wonder what his ETA is? I have a 5 man prospect farm team and have Jung, Huff, Gilbert, Rodriguez and Garcia. I don’t think any of those guys are worth dropping for him.

Nevertheless, I’m ready for some fresh new bats and bring life back to the new BallPark!

Would rather have him than Huff.  I'm guessing if you can only keep 5 dudes, you could find someone better than all the Rangers too. 

6 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Would rather have him than Huff.  I'm guessing if you can only keep 5 dudes, you could find someone better than all the Rangers too. 

You’re probably right, but it’s a Hometown Dynasty League where I represent TX and have to have 6 Rangers on my roster. I own Logan Gilbert, Grayson Rodriguez, Deivi Garcia in addition to Jung and Huff. I’m just always trying to get that leg up! Appreciate you!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Missed this the other week because of being in quarantine mode, but this is an impressive write up by Fangraphs, especially considering this isn't a fantasy list.

Signed: July 2nd Period, 2017 from Dominican Republic (TEX)
Age 20.3 Height 6′ 1″ Weight 200 Bat / Thr R / R FV 50
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
35/60 55/65 35/60 30/30 30/45 45/45

Yes, future rule changes would make it more likely that Hernandez could one day catch in a part-time capacity, but he doesn’t have a great arm, either, and he has a chance to race to the big leagues if the Rangers just let him go hit while learning first base or an outfield corner. The on-paper stats, underlying TrackMan data, and my visual evaluation of Hernandez all indicate that this might be a very special hitter whose hit and power combination will clear the high offensive bar at those positions. His little T-Rex arms enable Heriberto to be short to the baseball, but he’s so strong and rotates with such ferocity that he still hits for power. I’ve seen him make mid-at-bat adjustments to quality offspeed stuff, swinging over a particularly good splitter only to recognize the next one, located in the same spot, and rope it into the corner for a double. He covers the whole plate (something that’s gotten better since my first looks in 2018) but is tough to beat on the inner half, and after watching him rake all last summer and fall, I’m all in on him despite not generally favoring corner guys several levels beneath the big leagues.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Missed this the other week because of being in quarantine mode, but this is an impressive write up by Fangraphs, especially considering this isn't a fantasy list.

Signed: July 2nd Period, 2017 from Dominican Republic (TEX)
Age 20.3 Height 6′ 1″ Weight 200 Bat / Thr R / R FV 50
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
35/60 55/65 35/60 30/30 30/45 45/45

Yes, future rule changes would make it more likely that Hernandez could one day catch in a part-time capacity, but he doesn’t have a great arm, either, and he has a chance to race to the big leagues if the Rangers just let him go hit while learning first base or an outfield corner. The on-paper stats, underlying TrackMan data, and my visual evaluation of Hernandez all indicate that this might be a very special hitter whose hit and power combination will clear the high offensive bar at those positions. His little T-Rex arms enable Heriberto to be short to the baseball, but he’s so strong and rotates with such ferocity that he still hits for power. I’ve seen him make mid-at-bat adjustments to quality offspeed stuff, swinging over a particularly good splitter only to recognize the next one, located in the same spot, and rope it into the corner for a double. He covers the whole plate (something that’s gotten better since my first looks in 2018) but is tough to beat on the inner half, and after watching him rake all last summer and fall, I’m all in on him despite not generally favoring corner guys several levels beneath the big leagues.

k

Okay now I have seen it all.  They are drafting dinosaurs now, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...