NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 Vent & Rant Thread

Completely unscientific, but it sure feels like I'm getting more just over the top awful pitching performances this year.

The two Gott performances.  I mean, that's actually hard to do as a closer.

Couple Hudson bombs, which are oddly sandwiched between good outings.

And now, this Montas implosion.

I've had bad pitching days before, but rarely THIS bad.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My opponent picked up .087 average Gregory Polanco to start the week, who has now turned into Dominican Ted Williams

There was a time (many a time actually) where I had good players who were actually playing baseball; and of the one's who were, were actually producing up to expectations, and in some cases - God forb

Are you talking about the athletes or the people that post on this Thread?  😜

10 hours ago, aapox said:

So, I want to know what people think about this...

Everyone's been in the spot where they get excited about someone. They find some things they like. I'm gonna go get this guy on my fantasy team, and he's going to contribute.

But then, wham, he's taken from you by someone else!!

Do you find yourself A) rooting for this guy to validate that you were right, b) not really caring, or C) rooting against him so that your douchebag leaguemate doesn't reap the rewards of the player you wish you had?

Cuz I gotta say, I'm on the C team way too often..... 😆

This is an easy C. No hesitation.

• Haha 2

I was excited after my auction before the season and Covid. I thought it was one of the best I’ve ever done. I wouldn’t have to worry about my hitting at all: Torres at 2B, Baez at SS, Devers at 3B, Acuna, Upton, Khris Davis in the OF. Oh and of course I got Buehler as my ace. I recently improved things by trading Baez for Bichette since I badly needed SB’s, a couple days later he’s on the IL.

6 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

I was excited after my auction before the season and Covid. I thought it was one of the best I’ve ever done. I wouldn’t have to worry about my hitting at all: Torres at 2B, Baez at SS, Devers at 3B, Acuna, Upton, Khris Davis in the OF. Oh and of course I got Buehler as my ace. I recently improved things by trading Baez for Bichette since I badly needed SB’s, a couple days later he’s on the IL.

Ouch. Story of my life. Although, you had to have known that was going to happen. That’s seemingly how it works, universally, when you’re hurting all over and make a big trade with the best of intentions in putting forth a noble effort to right the ship. Welcome to the club.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Chest-Rockwell said:

Ouch. Story of my life. Although, you had to have known that was going to happen. That’s seemingly how it works, universally, when you’re hurting all over and make a big trade with the best of intentions in putting forth a noble effort to right the ship. Welcome to the club.

Ultimate example of this; I traded Cody Bellinger shortly after his call up for Julio Urias.  I think Urias pitched about 1 inning for me.

Oh, and for good measure, I threw in Mitch Haniger, just to balance things out a bit.

Never been fleeced worse in a trade.

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, Chest-Rockwell said:

It’s hard to make trades in my league.  Over 8 years, I’ve only made 2 as a buyer (3 as a seller.)   The 2 times I was in contention, I traded parts of my future for an sp2 type.  Iwakuma and David price (at the peaks of their careers) both of them got injured within the 2 day waiting period and neither one pitched a single inning for me.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Ultimate example of this; I traded Cody Bellinger shortly after his call up for Julio Urias.  I think Urias pitched about 1 inning for me.

Oh, and for good measure, I threw in Mitch Haniger, just to balance things out a bit.

I feel your pain. I picked up Bellinger and then dropped him after Dave Roberts emphatically said that he would be sent back down when Adrian Gonzalez was activated. And the irony is he struggled those first few weeks so it's not like he "made" him change his mind. There's nothing worse that a Bellickian type coach who plays coy with the media / fans. I also chose to pick up Harper instead of Trout when they were both called up. Still kicking myself over that one...

• Like 1
Just now, Cesare13 said:

It’s hard to make trades in my league.  Over 8 years, I’ve only made 2 as a buyer (3 as a seller.)   The 2 times I was in contention, I traded parts of my future for an sp2 type.  Iwakuma and David price (at the peaks of their careers) both of them got injured within the 2 day waiting period and neither one pitched a single inning for me.

It's definitely harder make trade in leagues where the same owners carry over from season to season. They lose a trade once and then are completely skeptical / overly cautious for the next five years. I've run into the same thing, even when I specifically try to target owners who match up with my strengths / weaknesses. They'd rather toil in seventh place then god forbid run the risk of losing a trade that might improve their team. 

• Haha 2
20 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I feel your pain. I picked up Bellinger and then dropped him after Dave Roberts emphatically said that he would be sent back down when Adrian Gonzalez was activated. And the irony is he struggled those first few weeks so it's not like he "made" him change his mind. There's nothing worse that a Bellickian type coach who plays coy with the media / fans. I also chose to pick up Harper instead of Trout when they were both called up. Still kicking myself over that one...

Yeah, I owned bellinger in a competetive keeper league.  We must have read the same blurbs and articles that pretty much insisted he be dropped because of Adrian Gonzalez.  I also chose Harper over trout.  His first 5 years, I owned Harper every year except for one (guess which one). 

34 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Oy. That's like the fantasy baseball equivalent to the Fernando Tatis Jr for James "for the love of God are you f**kin' kidding me?!?!" Shields real-life baseball trade my Chicago White Sox inexplicably and forever unforgivingly shat-out and bestowed upon the world back in 2016 (I will NEVER get over it. Ever)

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Chest-Rockwell said:

Oy. That's like the fantasy baseball equivalent to the Fernando Tatis Jr for James "for the love of God are you f**kin' kidding me?!?!" Shields real-life baseball trade my Chicago White Sox inexplicably and forever unforgivingly shat-out and bestowed upon the world back in 2016 (I will NEVER get over it. Ever)

Would you trade tatis for moncada, Eloy, cease, kopech and giolito?   Add in the crown jewel luis Robert and the White  Sox are still the envy of pretty much every team.  The hauls for Quintana and sale alone set the franchise up for an exciting decade.  One might assume that because of Tim Anderson, tatis would have been traded regardless.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cesare13 said:

Would you trade tatis for moncada, Eloy, cease, kopech and giolito?   Add in the crown jewel luis Robert and the White  Sox are still the envy of pretty much every team.  The hauls for Quintana and sale alone set the franchise up for an exciting decade.  One might assume that because of Tim Anderson, tatis would have been traded regardless.

Would I trade all five of the guys you reference for Tatis? No, of course not. But that’s one of the runs here. Because in the White Sox case they never would have had to. They already had a free 17 year baby old Tatis Jr. in-hand well-before they made any of those moves. And then by the time the Sox did stock up on all those aforementioned players, they were all with the organization before Tatis Jr. had played a single inning in the bigs, with his MLB debut coming not coming until the start of the 2019 his major league season. 

And in addition to those guys, the Sox had also secured the rights to Nick Madrigal (2018 draft), as well as rising stud first baseman Andrew Vaughn, who was a result of the 2019 draft, where the Sox high draft position to land him was secured from their poor 2018 season...all before Tatis had made his major league debut.

So in other words, the Sox, sitting there as a non-contending team and having lost 16 of their last 20 at the time in 2016, had they not egregiously, moronically given Tatis away — whom, at the time, at just 17 yrs of age, was even before he had played even a minor league inning of baseball, and was already regarded as the hands-down best prospect within their entire organization — for the biggest pile of sh*t imaginable in James Shields (in addition to agreeing to pay half of Shields bloated out the wazoo 18 mil a season contract for the 2.5 yrs still left on it!)....they’d have arguably the games best player at just 21 years old IN ADDITION to everything else they have today.

So while I appreciate and totally acknowledge all the good the White Sox have going on right now (and yes, there is a plenty to like) my endless bitching about the Tatis/Shields trade is made entirely independent of that, because they could have and absolutely still should have Fernando Tatis Jr on top of all those other nice things. To give away and not have Tatis Jr, the transcendent, across the board, superstar that he is absolutely for sure is, when they should have him on top of everything else...yeah, I’m gonna be be listed off about it for awhile (forever more like) and I’m gonna be vocal about it too.

And for Tim Anderson, they’d have him too. You don’t trade a superstar shortstop talent like Tatis Jr. away (even though of course the Sox did) just because you have a nice one working his way in place already at the position. You either trade away Anderson for some pitching, OR, just as likely, you work to convert him into an outfielder -- a spot where, by the way, the Sox, up until the last year and a half, were starting a revolving door of no-name also-rans; because it ain’t like Tim Anderson doesn’t have the skill set and athleticism to learn and handle that position. So maybe they have Anderson out there in right and don’t trade for a Nomar Mazara in right. Big deal. Or maybe they flip Anderson for some pitching and still make that small potatoes deal for Mazara out there in right. Just as well. 

Point is, there is no reason on Earth why the White Sox shouldn’t have Tatis Jr on top of everything else. Two idiots in the front office are the reason why not. And as a life long season ticket holder and loyal fan and monetary supporter of the organization, I retain the rights to rant & vent about it in the 2020 rant & vent thread (and in the Fernando Tatis Jr 2020 outlook thread. There too 🙂). Aaaaaaaaaand I’m spent. Whoooo!

Edited by Chest-Rockwell
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

You threw in Mitch Haniger too?

Talk about a real ball-buster...

.... too soon? Poor Mitch :(

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Chest-Rockwell said:

Yep happened last year too when I traded Whit for JoRam right before his injury. At least not playing for money this year. I’m definitely a member of that club.

Pick up my guy Jeffress knowing he'll get a little work, good chance at a save. He comes in and WALKS 2 of 3 (he had 1 walk in 10 innings coming in) and then gives up a run to tie the game. All the EXPLETIVES. At least he could get a win now!

On 8/16/2020 at 10:35 AM, Chest-Rockwell said:

There was a time (many a time actually) where I had good players who were actually playing baseball; and of the one's who were, were actually producing up to expectations, and in some cases - God forbid - actually exceeding them.

That time has not been - and continues not to be - right now. 

Every day, little by little, I am inching closer to the madness that was Jack Nicholson of The Shinning.

Someone - anyone - for the love of God, please, I beg you....get on a damn hot streak: bat, pitcher, whoever. 

Because otherwise, by my estimation, I’m about 48 hours from psychotically taking an axe to the bedroom door, followed by rearing my head on through the gash like a crazed maniac...

And nobody wants that. Especially not the live-in girlfriend who’s only about been living with me for about 2 & 1/2 weeks now.

This.  Every damn day,  a total line of 1,0,2, .188 type of thing with a 6.75 ish era.   I’d settle for someone else in my league getting one those types of lines.  Maybe if I complain enough on here something will happen.

Edited by Cesare13
  • Like 2

This is kinda minor compared to others, but I have Lindor and JD Martinez and they were supposed to provide a ton of production.  They both haven't been terrible, and I guess it could have been worse, but it really would be nice to have have them at like...normal stats this year.  Can they please heat up?!?

• Like 1

20 team league

First pick (20) Verlander - one start and out for the year

2nd (21) Clevinger - two starts and suspended indefinitely 

3rd 60 Corbin - 4 era 1.3 whip strikeouts are down 

5th 100 Stanton - great for 2.5 weeks and out for the year (not officially but it’s Stanton)

6th 101 Ohtani - 0/4 4 strikeouts every single game

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

On behalf of all robles owners...i DEMAND  a stolen base at some point over todays double header.

Lol, basically feeling the same way about Villar. Both he and IKF can't ***ing get on base and lately when they have they both got CS'd.