Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 Vent & Rant Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My opponent picked up .087 average Gregory Polanco to start the week, who has now turned into Dominican Ted Williams

There was a time (many a time actually) where I had good players who were actually playing baseball; and of the one's who were, were actually producing up to expectations, and in some cases - God forb

Are you talking about the athletes or the people that post on this Thread?  😜

On 9/16/2020 at 6:51 AM, mehtavg2000 said:

I’m in a keeper league where we keep 8.  6 weeks ago I thought jeez I’m in such a tough position as I’m not going to know who to drop with: Turner, Cronenworth, Arenado, Soto, Betts, Jimenez, Darvish, Gray, Gallen, Snell and Flaherty.  Other than Turner, Soto and Betts now I have no clue who I’m going to keep.  

Arenado, Snell, Jimenez, Flaherty and Darvish obviously. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hang onto Gary Sanchez all season until 5 days ago when I can no longer stomach his .127 batting average with my team in a close battle for first place. Since then that piece of garbage decides to go 6 for 18 with 3 home runs and 9 RBIs in just 4 games.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My opponent sent out a bunch of scrubs last night needing a lot of help in pitching cats. Mahle, Gallen, Bassitt, Eflin, and Barria combined for 5 W 4 QS 38 K’s 0.99 whip 1.19 era 1 CG 1 HR. 5 scrubs putting up ace performances absolutely ridiculous 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ty5592 said:

My opponent sent out a bunch of scrubs last night needing a lot of help in pitching cats. Mahle, Gallen, Bassitt, Eflin, and Barria combined for 5 W 4 QS 38 K’s 0.99 whip 1.19 era 1 CG 1 HR. 5 scrubs putting up ace performances absolutely ridiculous 

Gallen is suddenly a scrub.  LOL!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ty5592 said:

My opponent sent out a bunch of scrubs last night needing a lot of help in pitching cats. Mahle, Gallen, Bassitt, Eflin, and Barria combined for 5 W 4 QS 38 K’s 0.99 whip 1.19 era 1 CG 1 HR. 5 scrubs putting up ace performances absolutely ridiculous 

That's absolutely absurd.   Safe to say I've never had a day close to that good in my life,let alone from garbage streamers (except galen.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, meh2 said:

I hang onto Gary Sanchez all season until 5 days ago when I can no longer stomach his .127 batting average with my team in a close battle for first place. Since then that piece of garbage decides to go 6 for 18 with 3 home runs and 9 RBIs in just 4 games.

just in time for people to draft him.next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2020 at 6:22 AM, meh2 said:

I hang onto Gary Sanchez all season until 5 days ago when I can no longer stomach his .127 batting average with my team in a close battle for first place. Since then that piece of garbage decides to go 6 for 18 with 3 home runs and 9 RBIs in just 4 games.

This^

Will never own that turd again.

Also, first round of playoffs I have to go against the most immaculate pitching ever.  63 innings, 7 wins, 81 K, 2.31 ERA, 0.88 WHIP.  Can't believe that happens in the COVID era, that's hard to do during a normal season.  Oh well, it was a crapshoot season anyways.

Edited by Slimzy17
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Not in roto leagues.  Play in your name sake type of leagues.

At least in H2H, your opponent has to actually beat you. You'll never lose because some team playing for next year couldn't hold their lead in saves.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hanghow said:

At least in H2H, your opponent has to actually beat you. You'll never lose because some team playing for next year couldn't hold their lead in saves.

I've played h2h for years and thought it was the best.  But I now like roto far better.  It is a lot harder therefore cooler challenge to play in a 16 team roto league filled with very competitive owners as opposed to a 16 team h2h where 6 teams always made the playoffs so you had really good odds of winning compared to roto.  Dynasties always of course in both formats.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hanghow said:

At least in H2H, your opponent has to actually beat you. You'll never lose because some team playing for next year couldn't hold their lead in saves.

Not really. 99% of the time your pitchers and hitters aren’t facing your opponent’s pitchers and hitters. Your opponent’s players may have an easier schedule, or you may. You also have an extremely short sample size of a week or 2. There’s been weeks where the likes of Eddie Rosario outhit Trout, would anyone claim that it makes Rosario a better player? The fact is H2H is a complete joke.

 

Roto is about skill. If you lose your league because another team did better in saves, then it’s not luck, it’s bad planning. Should’ve got an extra closer if one team getting an extra point in saves knocks you out of first place. In H2H, you can be in first place and then your stud gets a minor injury during playoff week and another gets cold and your season is over.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Rotofan24 said:

 

That sucks, sorry to hear. I deserved to lose last week, but somehow eked through. Sometimes the game is more luck than skill. 

 

It is all luck...  Once one accepts that, fantasy sports are much more fun...

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, posty said:

It is all luck...  Once one accepts that, fantasy sports are much more fun...

It is never "all luck" in a 162 game fantasy ROTO baseball season.  Period.  I mean that is like saying it is only luck whether Mike Trout or Billy Hamilton is the better player.  Doesn't work that way.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:


Sounds like literally every sport in the history of team sports 

Yes I remember all those times. Like remember when the Nationals and Astros played different teams for a week, and then they compared how their players did and decided which team was better based on that?

Soto hitting a home run off of Lester when the Nationals played the Cubs, proved that the Nationals are better since Altuve went 0-4 against DeGrom when the Astros played the Mets. 😂 This is how ridiculous H2H is is when you think about it.
 

In Roto your stats are counted overall and the best team wins.

In H2H the team whose players have a luckier schedule for a week wins. 

H2H is a joke.

Edited by Thenewwildone8
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It is never "all luck" in a 162 game fantasy ROTO baseball season.  Period.  I mean that is like saying it is only luck whether Mike Trout or Billy Hamilton is the better player.  Doesn't work that way.

This. It’s not luck when you pick the players or decide matchups, decide when to add and stop players.... sure luck plays a role as in players underperform or perform better than expected or get injured, but a good player knows how to lessen the impact of the bad results. Roto is 90% skill and 10% luck. H2H is 30% skill and 70% luck. Look at it this way, you can reasonably project how Trout will do in a season, you can’t predict how he’ll do in a random week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

This. It’s not luck when you pick the players or decide matchups, decide when to add and stop players.... sure luck plays a role as in players underperform or perform better than expected or get injured, but a good player knows how to lessen the impact of the bad results. Roto is 90% skill and 10% luck. H2H is 30% skill and 70% luck. Look at it this way, you can reasonably project how Trout will do in a season, you can’t predict how he’ll do in a random week.

 

I don't know if its useful to think about the distinction between Roto and H2H as luck vs. skill necessarily. Maybe better to think about it as the amount of control you have over your team. 

 

If we think about it under the framework of control, I don't think the distinction is that great between Roto and H2H - there are a variety of strategies your leaguemates can use to disrupt a manager's sense of "control"... for instance the outliers who choose to punt multiple categories which affect your standings, or as a previous poster said, the leaguemate who decides to shift attention to another category in the last couple of weeks (for a variety of reasons) thereby affecting your position in the category rankings.

 

While there may be less surprises in Roto than in a H2H playoff, that also means less excitement. 

Edited by Rotofan24
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rotofan24 said:

 

I don't know if its useful to think about the distinction between Roto and H2H as luck vs. skill necessarily. Maybe better to think about it as the amount of control you have over your team. 

 

If we think about it under the framework of control, I don't think the distinction is that great between Roto and H2H - there are a variety of strategies your leaguemates can use to disrupt a manager's sense of "control"... for instance the outliers who choose to punt multiple categories which affect your standings, or as a previous poster said, the leaguemate who decides to shift attention to another category in the last couple of weeks (for a variety of reasons) thereby affecting your position in the category rankings.

 

While there may be less surprises in Roto than in a H2H playoff, that also means less excitement. 


If you have a good team in Roto, then it really doesn’t matter who is punting what. How would this work? Someone focuses on SB’s and passes multiple people? What about the points they lose in other cats because of it? I’ve been playing Roto for over 10 years and have never lost a league because someone decided to punt or go all out on a cat by the end of the season. It doesn’t work that way.

 

The thing is that Roto is for the entire season and you can project players for the entire season. In H2H it’s completely about who is luckier in one particular week. 

Edited by Thenewwildone8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...