NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kenyan Drake 2020 Outlook

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had a decent game from a scoring standpoint (which I accredit to me benching him) but man oh man Edmonds looks about 2.5x faster than the Drake out there. Yeesh. Timeshare on deck. KK will continue to feed Chase until Drakey can remember how to run. Thinking he may have bulked up this offseason to try to be more durable, and lost a step (or three) due to the change. Who knows. Not good tho, doesnt even pass the eye test.

This is what a true buy low looks like, fwiw. Yes, there are a lot of questions here - if there weren't any he'd still be going for close to his draft cost. It's hard to buy when there are few, if any, positives to the situation. But again, that's why he won't cost much. 

• Like 1

FWIW, really not convinced that Drake has lost much of a step this year. There is a channel called “East Coast Taffy” on YouTube that has put together clips of every single Drake touch weeks 1-4. Watch those videos and you’ll have an extremely tough time saying that Drake is the problem. He has absolutely nowhere to go on almost every run. On the very rare occasion that he has a hole, he’s running well. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, FinsUp24 said:

FWIW, really not convinced that Drake has lost much of a step this year. There is a channel called “East Coast Taffy” on YouTube that has put together clips of every single Drake touch weeks 1-4. Watch those videos and you’ll have an extremely tough time saying that Drake is the problem. He has absolutely nowhere to go on almost every run. On the very rare occasion that he has a hole, he’s running well. 

I'm with it. Except its a hard sell when Edmonds rips off a 29-yard TD on a single carry.

🤧

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, FinsUp24 said:

Thanks for mentioning those, I watched the videos and I agree does not look slow. I will say his vision does seem off he had a few lanes where he could of had huge runs but picks the wrong lane. 

14 hours ago, sSektor said:

I see that Drake is getting all the garbage uncreative run calls that DJ got after his injury last season. Is Drake washed too or is Edmunds actually just an elite RB?

If he was really an elite RB, he would be starting on an NFL team 

21 hours ago, dropshadows said:

I'm with it. Except its a hard sell when Edmonds rips off a 29-yard TD on a single carry.

🤧

Even with that long carry boosting Edmonds YPC, Drake is still averaging more YPC than Edmonds (just barely).. I’d like to think that the coaching staff sees that Drake has nowhere to run which is why he’s still seeing the lion’s share of the carries despite his inefficiency. Hopefully Maxx Williams returns this week to provide some blocking. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FinsUp24 said:

Hopefully Maxx Williams returns this week to provide some blocking. 

I always seem to forget how important full backs are in providing leverage for the backfield.
I remember Juszczyk out last year for 49ers and their RB's struggled as well.

It's been 3 weeks since Williams went on IR so heres to hoping he comes back AND Drake keeps his share of carries.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, dropshadows said:

I always seem to forget how important full backs are in providing leverage for the backfield.
I remember Juszczyk out last year for 49ers and their RB's struggled as well.

It's been 3 weeks since Williams went on IR so heres to hoping he comes back AND Drake keeps his share of carries.

Maxx Williams graded out as the #1 blocking TE in the league last year. Should be a big boost for the run game once he is back up to speed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

Maxx Williams graded out as the #1 blocking TE in the league last year. Should be a big boost for the run game once he is back up to speed. 

oh my bad, idk why i thought he was a full back. either way, theres definitely reason for some hope here.

Fact 1: Outside of one gaping hole Edmonds is averaging 2.7 YPC despite being a COP which usually leads to a higher YPC. 

Fact 2: Drake has been at 70% snap count every week. Even last week when people decided to act like it's the end of the world because of one run his snap count didn't change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, sSektor said:

I see that Drake is getting all the garbage uncreative run calls that DJ got after his injury last season. Is Drake washed too or is Edmunds actually just an elite RB?

Neither are true. 

• Like 2
Just now, mortman212 said:

Poor use of Drake is what's hurt him, he's like Sony Michel last year, Drake only gets running plays, no screens, no wheel routes, no lining up as a WR, that's the problem.  

Which is the most puzzling thing. He was always a great receiver in Miami. At times he was the third down back and his sole use was the receiving game. Then he showed how effective he can be in the passing game when he went to Arizona last year. Now he’s an absolute zero in that department?... It makes no sense. 

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, mortman212 said:

Poor use of Drake is what's hurt him, he's like Sony Michel last year, Drake only gets running plays, no screens, no wheel routes, no lining up as a WR, that's the problem.  

Actually false drake runs plenty of routes every game, mostly pass blocking then going out for a quick dump off however, kyler either throws it down field quickly on one read or takes off with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

Which is the most puzzling thing. He was always a great receiver in Miami. At times he was the third down back and his sole use was the receiving game. Then he showed how effective he can be in the passing game when he went to Arizona last year. Now he’s an absolute zero in that department?... It makes no sense. 

I think the problem is, instead of dumping it off to Drake, Murray keeps it and runs. It's a terrible strategy and one that shows me that Murray hasn't really progressed much this season as a QB. Until Murray matures I worry that they'll continue to use Drake as more of a traditional back. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I think the problem is, instead of dumping it off to Drake, Murray keeps it and runs. It's a terrible strategy and one that shows me that Murray hasn't really progressed much this season as a QB. Until Murray matures I worry that they'll continue to use Drake as more of a traditional back. 

This would make sense except Edmonds has 3x the receptions on half the snaps. So while I agree Murray is hurting him similar to how Cam hurt RBs early on the fault is mostly on coaching and how they scheme him.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, MBarbarian said:

If Drake misses any time at all, he'll get the David Johnson treatment when he gets back (he'll get benched).  I wonder if his preseason injury is still nagging him.  Any insiders with knowledge?

That could be part of an issue, however it’s not the main problem.

Run blocking and Murray are the main problems. On run plays they get barely any holes for Drake to utilize (Edmonds also struggles to get anything going). Murray is also taking off and running after he sees that his first read (Hopkins) is covered and refuses to check down.

• Like 2